Oklahoma downs Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
VFLfan said:
I can so see Mulkey doing just that!

Can't you though!! It's a clear image in my head!!

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised. I've wondered how good Baylor really was. Pretty easy out of conference schedule. Game at Oklahoma. Sherrie vs Kim. Love it that the Sooners won. Wonder what this will do to the projected #1 seeds with Baylor and UT Losing this week? Does Maryland move up?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Baylor's Loss is Huge for the Lady Vols. Have a good chance of keeping a #1 seed even if they lose to South Carolina in the SEC Tourney Finals. However, can't have another loss. If they beat South Carolina they'll get a #1 seed. Also opens the door for Maryland to get a #1 seed.

If the Vols get the #1 seed, they'll end up in Spokane with Oregon State as the 2 seed IF Oregon State wins out. That's a game I'd like to see.

Reaction Score
Baylor was already shaky as #1 IMHO. This seals them as a #2.
Tennessee losing to another #1 seed (SC) is a non-factor. They're still a #1.

Also, don't count out Oregon St. The committee is clearly high on the PAC (it put 5 PAC teams in it's prelim top 20 a few weeks ago). If Ore St sweeps the reg season & tourney titles, they have a shot.

Reaction Score
I agree. OSU is pretty powerful. I'm betting they sweep the tournament, which would put them in good shape for a second seed. In the bracket you're talking about, they might just give TN a hell of a game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Baylor was already shaky as #1 IMHO. This seals them as a #2.

They have 2 losses all year. I guess we'll see how much the committee values quality wins and "quality" losses.

Reaction Score
They have 2 losses all year. I guess we'll see how much the committee values quality wins and "quality" losses.
Do they have any quality wins?

Their "best" wins of the year are Oklahoma (home) and Syracuse (neutral).

They played one top 15 team, and lost.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do they have any quality wins?

Their "best" wins of the year are Oklahoma (home) and Syracuse (neutral).

They played one top 15 team, and lost.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. Baylor's 26-2 and destroyed a lot of teams. They haven't played many awful teams nor have they played many ranked ones. Do you rewards teams that have losses but have played better opposition?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's kind of what I'm getting at. Baylor's 26-2 and destroyed a lot of teams. They haven't played many awful teams nor have they played many ranked ones. Do you rewards teams that have losses but have played better opposition?
Absolutely. Otherwise Princeton is ranked #1.
You have three 2 loss teams in MD, OrSt, and Baylor with very different top 25/top 50 records based on Sagarin:
Baylor 3-1/8-2 (And thats only because somehow TX is still hanging at 23 and Syracuse is at 20 for the top 25 wins)
MD 4-1/13-1
OrSt 3-1/4-2 (with two more top 25 games next)

I think this Baylor loss and the TN loss propel MD into the lead position for the final #1 seed

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While the committee tends to reward tougher schedules - at least as they perceive them through RPI - the rest of the season will need to play out before we can be even remotely confident in guessing how they will seed. For now, I do think Maryland has the best resume.

Reaction Score
Baylor's Strength of Schedule rating is 12th; Tennessee is #1; UConn, for reference, is 40th. RPI? Until tonight Baylor had the highest RPI in the country. They've beaten somebody

Reaction Score
If MD wins out through the rest of the season and conference tournament, they're the last number 1 seed, IMO. Especially if TN loses another game to SC in their tournament.

But this season has been unpredictable enough so that those results aren't guaranteed.

mr006

Reaction Score
And the top 25 wheel spins yet again... where it stops, no one knows (except for #1 and #2) :D.

In the only other top 25 game last night, Florida Gulf Coast gets all the points they need in the first half - 56-24 win. Not on par with UConn's wins, but always eye-catching when a college team only scores 24 in a game.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Baylor's Strength of Schedule rating is 12th; Tennessee is #1; UConn, for reference, is 40th. RPI? Until tonight Baylor had the highest RPI in the country. They've beaten somebody
And why are you referring here to brain-dead RPI which has UConn as the #5 team and an SOS that is at #34???? That's like a Tennessee Confederate fanatic wandering into a meeting of Union vets back in the 1870s and saying that the South had the better showing in the war because they won the Bull Runs. UConn at #5 and #34? Does that work for you? I know it works for Vol fans.

Does look like Maryland is moving into position for the last #1 seed. UTenn with 4 losses is a ways back in real ratings systems (#6 in Sagarin and #8 in Massey), and in the best SOS evaluator -- Massey -- UConn is at #2, UTenn is at #5, and MD is at #7, so the Terps rated #4 in overall strength look well set for the #1 seed, especially if they double up on the B10 championships.

Another possibly small effect of the Baylor-OK game was that Niya Johnson did not have a great game in one of the Bears' few big games -- 1-9 shooting and 2 points to go with a decent 5 assists and 3 turnovers. Granted MoJeff had some issues against ND, but her showing against USCar certainly gave her a boost in the Lieberman race, though of course all the season's games big and small and probably lots of stats factor in the voting for the best PG.

Reaction Score
Not to hammer the point home, but Sagarin has Baylor's schedule at 32nd. We still haven't seen evidence that Nina Davis can efficiently put up large numbers as the primary focus of a top-tier defense, and we won't until the NCAAs.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not to hammer the point home, but Sagarin has Baylor's schedule at 32nd. We still haven't seen evidence that Nina Davis can efficiently put up large numbers as the primary focus of a top-tier defense, and we won't until the NCAAs.
Davis was 8-14 with 20 points and 11 rebounds, which are solid enough figures against a pretty good team on the road. Johnson and Wright didn't have great games for the Bears, and though Prince was good, she picked up 4 PFs and only saw 16 minutes. True, the Sooners focused on limiting the damage from Davis, but she did well enough and it was the rest of the team that couldn't step up enough in support.

Reaction Score
Davis was 8-14 with 20 points and 11 rebounds, which are solid enough figures against a pretty good team on the road. Johnson and Wright didn't have great games for the Bears, and though Prince was good, she picked up 4 PFs and only saw 16 minutes. True, the Sooners focused on limiting the damage from Davis, but she did well enough and it was the rest of the team that couldn't step up enough in support.
That's fair and relevant and, full disclosure, I have only seen Oklahoma once this year, but neither Massey nor Sagarin have them as top-25. I'm really curious to see how she does against a team like South Carolina or us.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And why are you referring here to brain-dead RPI which has UConn as the #5 team and an SOS that is at #34???? That's like a Tennessee Confederate fanatic wandering into a meeting of Union vets back in the 1870s and saying that the South had the better showing in the war because they won the Bull Runs. UConn at #5 and #34? Does that work for you? I know it works for Vol fans.
RPI is relevant as long as it is relevant to the committee. The poster above overstates Baylor's SOS - currently 21 on the site I use and RPI 3.

While UConn does not show well in RPI, that is obviously conference driven. The same website has UConn's OOC strength of schedule as 2. Part of the issue is that the poor teams drive down factor 2 and because they play each other they appear 25+ times in factor 3. RPI as a concept has never bothered me, but it is very, very limited and should be scrapped in favor of something else by the NCAA - however, I strongly feel that margin of victory should not be a factor.

In general, this is a bad year in one respect - the decent teams have played an inordinate number of worse-than-usual little sisters. I don't know if it is travel restrictions (which I think is part of it) in a world of shrinking budgets, but bleh. I worried about RU playing 4 horrible teams and BeK, the RU board stat guy, pointed out that over half the top 50 had played at least that many stinkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom