Okay, y'all had your chance ... | The Boneyard

Okay, y'all had your chance ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe we should all get a brain scan, but we completely failed to mention a certain recruit while ruminating about future women's basketball lineups at Storrs. Completly overlooked among the ample supply of future guards was the offer given by UConn to Wisconsin Gatorade Player of the Year, Arike Ogunbowale.

Has Geno gone bonkers?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe we should all get a brain scan, but we completely failed to mention a certain recruit while ruminating about future women's basketball lineups at Storrs. Completly overlooked among the ample supply of future guards was the offer given by UConn to Wisconsin Gatorade Player of the Year, Arike Ogunbowale.

Has Geno gone bonkers?

Geno believes, as I do that you can never have to many guards.

arch

Reaction Score
Somehow I'm not comforted that you agree with Geno.

Of course you can have too many guards. Seventeen is too many.
No, no it's not, but I'm pretty sure there is a number, you just haven't come close to it.

Last edited:

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Seems we have had this bought up before,including by me.In Connecticut's system(,the country experts in women's basketball may catalog you as a guard,according to your printed height),is not always the Connecticut way.In most systems,5'5" up to 6' would be or could be considered a guard,but not necessarily in this system.You play where the team needs you to play,to take advantage of your talents,not your height.This coaching staff always has a plan,and though height would be an advantage and good to have,there is still a way to use a smaller lineup, and Connecticut has proven that in the past.Players like KML,Kelly,etc. would most likely play guard on most teams,but Connecticut used them in a different way,depending on their talent and ability.Getting height is somewhat of a concern,but,the talent that this team gets,and the coaching that is given,can make up for other shortcomings.If this staff wants to load up on guard-type players,they have a very good reason,IMO.Besides,giving an offer to a young lady,really means little,until she signs on.I will always trust the judgement of this staff,and if they want 8 guards,then they know why.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Stewie and the 7 dwarfs. They were a great crew.

Reaction Score
Somehow I'm not comforted that you agree with Geno.

Of course you can have too many guards. Seventeen is too many.

These are not just any four guards; they are ranked #2, #6, #8, and #14. They can all play multiple positions. Geno knows what he is doing. You just need to have a little more faith.

Reaction Score
On a visit to Trinidad too long ago, I heard a great calipso song- 'capitalism has gone mad in Trinidad'. Could this 'guard-thing' has gone mad in Conn? Perhaps Geno cannot stop now. We are in a bind. Any big coming in would be licking their chops about playing while the existing and in-coming smalls would be experiencing angst. Best to continue doing the guard thing. Leave it to beaver.

Reaction Score
Seems we have had this bought up before,including by me.In Connecticut's system(,the country experts in women's basketball may catalog you as a guard,according to your printed height),is not always the Connecticut way.In most systems,5'5" up to 6' would be or could be considered a guard,but not necessarily in this system.You play where the team needs you to play,to take advantage of your talents,not your height.This coaching staff always has a plan,and though height would be an advantage and good to have,there is still a way to use a smaller lineup, and Connecticut has proven that in the past.Players like KML,Kelly,etc. would most likely play guard on most teams,but Connecticut used them in a different way,depending on their talent and ability.Getting height is somewhat of a concern,but,the talent that this team gets,and the coaching that is given,can make up for other shortcomings.If this staff wants to load up on guard-type players,they have a very good reason,IMO.Besides,giving an offer to a young lady,really means little,until she signs on.I will always trust the judgement of this staff,and if they want 8 guards,then they know why.

You can stretch your words any way you want to, but Arike Ogunbowale is a point guard.

That's besides the point (pun intended). Posters showed all kinds of future lineups by class, even discussing whether or not Polly's Scholly would be counted, but completely overlooked at least one outstanding scholarship offer to a prominent player.

And nobody noticed.

The Boneyard is slipping.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stewie and the 7 dwarfs. They were a great crew.

If Stewie gets in foul trouble, then the 6 dwarfs will have to do....never know what Geno has up his sleeves...

Jim

Reaction Score
If Stewie gets in foul trouble, then the 6 dwarfs will have to do....never know what Geno has up his sleeves...
Follow the yellow brick road and see the Wizard.

Reaction Score
Actually Arike is a 5'9 post player for HS, she has transitioned to a SG for the next level, she is talented but not a PG, I would put her in the same column as Durr, neither are PGs now they both will have to learn the PG position

Reaction Score

Of course you make several good points here, but Geno is not purposely going for all guards. He has sought out the likes of McCall, Russell and others and we are not getting them. Also, A'ja, so Geno does see the need for the bigs, but currently not getting them. That's the disturbing (slightly) factor.
Best scenario is a steady influx of size and talent, easier to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom