Okay, Ben, I'm impressed | The Boneyard

Okay, Ben, I'm impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Never thought I'd see you pull off a major deal. It took a lot to get rid of Beckett but I think in the long run it will be worth it. Next you need to get rid of Lackey. Don't even think about signing Dice K.

Look for players who want to play the game right and who actually stay in the dugout during the game.

Down on the farm are some pretty interesting position players including a 19 year-old shortstop who is pounding the ball and a center fielder who could make us forget Jacoby pretty quickly. A nice problem will be figuring out where to play Ciriaco. He clearly needs to play.

During the off-season, you should concentrate on finding someone who can anchor the pitching staff. Lester is looking like he is back on track and Buchholtz should be OK but a top of the rotation starter would be sweet.

Reaction Score
This isn't a move for 2013. This is a move for 2014 and beyond.
The Sox aren't making waves next year. The FA class isn't spectacular. By 2014 the Bogaerts, Bradleys, etc will be entering the bigs and the FA class going into that year could be much more interesting to watch. Adding these two pitching prospectsfrom LA makes this team certainly a top 10 farm by the end of the year and perhaps even top 5 in someone's.
The future is finally looking bright again. Good farm , tons of financial flexibility and getting younger.

Reaction Score
Going to be interesting to see how Ben rebuilds. Viking's pragmatism is absolutely the right way to go.

But you have clowns like Felger, Callahan, and Shaugnessey bashing the organization daily (Henry specifically) for what they claim is a systematic allocation of Red Sox revenue streams to Liverpool, (arguably) the highest price per ticket in baseball, and Boston's inherent distrust of anyone outside of the128 (if Willie was still alive,he would still lament McCourt not getting the team in '03), ..I'm not so sure Ben will be allowed to be pragmatic.

Reaction Score
Peter Abraham tweeted it tonight, the key word from Cherrington's presser was "responsible." The team can and will spend, but they need to do so responsibly. They have some nice building blocks like Middlebrooks, Lester, Buccholz, Pedroia, and possibly guys like Kalish and Iglesias.

The rotation next year could be Lester, Buccholz, Lackey, Morales, and Doubront in some order.

I won't be surprised if they trade Ellsbury for something relatively big as well.

They will likely bring back Ross and Ortiz and can supplement the line up to make themselves viable and, dare we say, enjoyable. Maybe in 2014 or 15 you have a line up that is built around Bogarts, Bradley, and Middlebrooks and a rotation with Lester, Buccholz, and Barnes. That looks as if it could be a formidable base to build around.

Reaction Score
Never thought I'd see you pull off a major deal. It took a lot to get rid of Beckett but I think in the long run it will be worth it. Next you need to get rid of Lackey. Don't even think about signing Dice K.

Look for players who want to play the game right and who actually stay in the dugout during the game.

Down on the farm are some pretty interesting position players including a 19 year-old shortstop who is pounding the ball and a center fielder who could make us forget Jacoby pretty quickly. A nice problem will be figuring out where to play Ciriaco. He clearly needs to play.

During the off-season, you should concentrate on finding someone who can anchor the pitching staff. Lester is looking like he is back on track and Buchholtz should be OK but a top of the rotation starter would be sweet.
I'm not convinced yet on Ciriaco. We'll have to see if he can handle ML pitching down the line as teams adjust. It is great to have young prospects but there are more ways for a young player to fail at the ML level than there is to succeed.
They should get in the hunt for Ellsbury now that they have the cash. He is better than any FA available next season and he is young. Miller has the stuff and arm to be a starter and if they are going to stretch someone out, I'd go with Miller. I like Dubront but he either has to get deeper in games or go to the bullpen.
Unless they are able to miraculously sign a stud starter or the kids surprise, It is hard to see the Sox making the playoffs next year but at least they are on the right track.

Reaction Score
Never thought I'd see you pull off a major deal.

Not to diminish Cherington's role in any way, but Lucchino was an integral part of this trade too. He's going to be big voice in how the team re-builds.

Reaction Score
Not to diminish Cherington's role in any way, but Lucchino was an integral part of this trade too. He's going to be big voice in how the team re-builds.

that's the nightmare scenario.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Randy Smith said it best a long time ago. The easiest thing for a GM to do is trade his best player. Now what? Have all of the systemic problems with the Sox suddenly disappeared?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Would love to know what Aussie Cuz thinks. Hmm. That email list must be buzzing

Reaction Score
Would love to know what Aussie Cuz thinks. Hmm. That email list must be buzzing

The Sox do have a good farm system but the O's, Jays, and Rays are as good if not better.
If I'm Boston I would make a run for Garza, he gets 200 ip every year is AL east tested and will not cost a ton.

Reaction Score
The Sox do have a good farm system but the O's, Jays, and Rays are as good if not better.
If I'm Boston I would make a run for Garza, he gets 200 ip every year is AL east tested and will not cost a ton.
I like Garza a lot but I have never considered him to be a top of the rotation starter like Sabathia, Price or Weaver. I think the Sox need someone at the top to be the man who takes on the other team's ace. I realize that starters like that are hard to come by but I think that is probably the Red Sox biggest need. Maybe Lester will surprise me but I would still be looking for someone if I were Ben. Perhaps Jacoby and a couple of prospects for King Felix.

Reaction Score
I like Garza a lot but I have never considered him to be a top of the rotation starter like Sabathia, Price or Weaver. I think the Sox need someone at the top to be the man who takes on the other team's ace. I realize that starters like that are hard to come by but I think that is probably the Red Sox biggest need. Maybe Lester will surprise me but I would still be looking for someone if I were Ben. Perhaps Jacoby and a couple of prospects for King Felix.

Jacoby and your #1 and #2 prospects? I mean he's not exactly lighting it up since he came back and he sees the field about as much as King Felix does with his injury history. Not really the best bait Seattle will receive unless your including Middlebrooks?

Reaction Score
The people saying the red sox should deplete the farm system for Felix should run the Mets. No better way to kill a franchise. Red Sox should wait out Felix if they want him and in the next 2 years they need to spend wisely and trade for guys who have a "hefty" contract for a smaller market and that smaller market doesn't want to pay it anymore. Players could include Billy Butler, Josh Willingham, Mauer, Justin Upton, Corey Hart, Jay Bruce, or McCuthcen (ultimate long shot)

The price for Felix is way to high, for Seattle to trade him it would take a kings ransom.

Reaction Score
The people saying the red sox should deplete the farm system for Felix should run the Mets. No better way to kill a franchise. Red Sox should wait out Felix if they want him and in the next 2 years they need to spend wisely and trade for guys who have a "hefty" contract for a smaller market and that smaller market doesn't want to pay it anymore. Players could include Billy Butler, Josh Willingham, Mauer, Justin Upton, Corey Hart, Jay Bruce, or McCuthcen (ultimate long shot)

The price for Felix is way to high, for Seattle to trade him it would take a kings ransom.
I am not advocating depleting the farm system for Felix although he is probably the best pitcher in baseball right now. The Mariners have him under contract through 2014 and if anything he might be slightly underpaid. He will be a hot commodity in the winter of 2013/14.
None of the players you mention look like possibilities. They are all under contract for several years and for the most part are earning their salaries. The only one that appears to be grossly overpaid is Joe Mauer. He had one great year, signed a big contract and lost all of his power. The Twins may want to move him but I don't think Ben would be interested.

The farm system is stronger now and I think the answers for position players (save catcher) may lie there. I still think we need to find a top of the rotation starter to be competitive again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom