Official Selection Show thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Official Selection Show thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Been to Leavenworth when I lived out there, great little "Bavarian Village". Of course the time to go there was in the winter.
Good any time of year. Outdoor mecca w/ rock climbing, mountaineering, hiking, rafting, kayaking...probably more. Fall is nice. I haven't been, but their Oktoberfest is probably a hoot.

Reaction Score
Good any time of year. Outdoor mecca w/ rock climbing, mountaineering, hiking, rafting, kayaking...probably more. Fall is nice. I haven't been, but their Oktoberfest is probably a hoot.
Also been to Snoqualmie falls and the famous breakfast at the lodge overlooking the falls. I loved it there.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I just realized what I felt while watching Rebecca Lobo with the Cast of Characters. It reminded me of a hostage video.
Rebecca did a great job of not reacting to yet another clickbait/troll comment about "fairness", and she backed up her response with actual data. It would be great to see ESPN have serious sports commentators, rather than the recycled heads that we see so commonly in other sports.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking/hoping for at least 2 games each from Creighton, Nova and Depaul
Creighton is up against lots of height in Colorado; if DePaul gets by Dayton, Georgia also is a taller team overall, although their defense does not have the same reputation at Georgia Tech; and Nova will face the same height issue against BYU (but they lost to Gonzaga in their tournament, right?, yep, by 12!).....so in all cases, rebounding is the likely disadvantage.

Am hoping for the same (2 games each) as well. Iowa in Iowa City may be the end of the line for Creighton if they get their 2nd game; Iowa State after Georgia for DePaul's possible 3rd game; and Michigan at Ann Arbor for Nova....

Go! take down some of those hosts!

Just checked: Gonzaga does match BYU's height advantage/rebounding. Gonzaga outrebounded BYU in their tournament championship game!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But if I remember correctly ,Creighton shots lots of 3's so if they are going down don't have to worry about offensive rebound...
Actually, that's their ticket to play more games in the tournament.

Reaction Score
It's sometimes embarrassing when us northerners can't tell the difference between North and South Carolina.
It’s funny. I have no problem keeping them straight
But Between South and North Carolina Forget about it…

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Is schnitzel similar to chicken fried steak?
Yes, just to me it's much better and not as dry. The schnitzels that I've eaten is, most of the time, twice the thickness of a chicken fried steak and usually much juicer. Some of the "fast food" joints in Germany did have schnitzel's that would be considered like a chicken fried steak.

After I met my wife and her family though I never ate schnitzel at those type of places, just didn't live up to my Mother-in-Law's cooking. My wife's is good, but her mom's was out of this world. Combined with the red cabbage and potatoes, home made bread and the deserts, I was in heaven.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Creighton is up against lots of height in Colorado
I'm curious what gives you this impression. I haven't watched them a lot, but as far as I know they usually have either Hollingshed or Miller on the floor (maybe both together a little bit) surrounded by 4 guards/wings. The Buffs aren't one of the taller teams in the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what gives you this impression. I haven't watched them a lot, but as far as I know they usually have either Hollingshed or Miller on the floor (maybe both together a little bit) surrounded by 4 guards/wings. The Buffs aren't one of the taller teams in the Pac 12.
I have only seen them once and not the whole game, so I can't tell you about the rotation and the minutes but it made look at their roster and they have a lot of tall players and upperclassmen....I figured that they are not there to sit but are part of the rotation over a season. According to their roster:

Upperclass (Junior to 5th Year): six 6'0" or taller, 2 x 6'1" and 3x 6'3";
Underclass (F, S): four 6'0" or taller, 1x 6'0", 2x 6'3" and 1x 6'4"

That's 10 of the 15 on the roster and one of the guards is 5'11", a sophomore.

The rest? 1x 5'7" (Jr), 1x 5'8" (Soph) and 2x 5'9" (Sr, Fr)

They have four guards 6'0" (2), 6'1" and 6'3" to go along with the above.

All those designated as forwards are 6'1" or 6'3"

The centers are 6'3" and 6'4"

Both Hollingshed (forward) and Miller (center) are listed as 6'3"

Anyway you cut it, that's a lot of height wasted (including lots of upperclass players), if all the under 6'0" guards are used, including freshmen and sophomores when two of the over 6'0" guards are seniors and the other a soph. Unless, of course, the teams best guards and wings (would have to be guards playing wing and PF, since you said the 5th is either MIller or Hollinshed, not both) are all under 6'0".

There's another possibility: the posted heights are not correct?

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
6 I believe… a lot
The UCF coach was complaining about putting all the Florida teams in the East. Other than that she thinks it's a plus having played at Gampel.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
@BlueSkyGLW I think we have differing definitions of tall. To me 6-0 or 6-1 is kinda average for wcbb. Of course some players in that range play "bigger" than others. I know Whittaker was out for the year w/ injury and it looks like Taylor, Blacksten and Singer barely played. So it really was mostly only Hollingshed and Miller in the 6-3 range that got significant minutes.

But like I said Colorado isn't even particularly tall compared to some other Pac 12 teams. Look at Cal, USC, Arizona, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St. That's at least half the conference with more size than the Buffs.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes, just to me it's much better and not as dry. The schnitzels that I've eaten is, most of the time, twice the thickness of a chicken fried steak and usually much juicer. Some of the "fast food" joints in Germany did have schnitzel's that would be considered like a chicken fried steak.

After I met my wife and her family though I never ate schnitzel at those type of places, just didn't live up to my Mother-in-Law's cooking. My wife's is good, but her mom's was out of this world. Combined with the red cabbage and potatoes, home made bread and the deserts, I was in heaven.

So basically you're telling me I might need to fly to Stuttgart and bring back a wife :p

Reaction Score
@BlueSkyGLW I think we have differing definitions of tall. To me 6-0 or 6-1 is kinda average for wcbb. Of course some players in that range play "bigger" than others. I know Whittaker was out for the year w/ injury and it looks like Taylor, Blacksten and Singer barely played. So it really was mostly only Hollingshed and Miller in the 6-3 range that got significant minutes.

But like I said Colorado isn't even particularly tall compared to some other Pac 12 teams. Look at Cal, USC, Arizona, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St. That's at least half the conference with more size than the Buffs.
True about Pac 12 teams but we are talking about Creighton whose tallest player is 6'1" and there are only 3 of them at that height. Only one of them is designated a forward and another is a guard/forward. The rest are all guards. So, if Colorado coach plays Hollingshed and Miller together with the guards and wings at the same time, they can dominate the rebounding. Creighton's only path to victory is to be proficient in what they are known for: 3-pt shooting.

I was going to look at the minutes played by the Colorado players but I will take your word for it.

Reaction Score
The UCF coach was complaining about putting all the Florida teams in the East. Other than that she thinks it's a plus having played at Gampel.

That's funny that she thinks UConn fans will cheer for her. No thanks. Don't like their style of play because it can get people hurt, and we've had enough of that this year.

Reaction Score
Remembering Nan saying no one holds a grudge like a UConn fan. When Tara Vanderveer showed up on the selection show I had some thoughts lol

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
That's funny that she thinks UConn fans will cheer for her. No thanks. Don't like their style of play because it can get people hurt, and we've had enough of that this year.
True enough about their play. Interesting to say the least about our fans cheering for them.

Reaction Score

There was another thing I wanted to look up: the average height of DI Women's BB player. The number I saw, I can't quite believe: 5'6", which I think is for all DI schools. Then, I looked up average height of WNBA player: different answers: from 5'9" to 6'0" (different sources). I suspect the answer changes from year to year because it is a smaller population, though not as dramatically as this range, I would assume.

Then I look at a Stats sheet in the NCAA website for about 150 players - it didn't include anyone taller than 6'3". Sure enough, lots of players in the 5'3" to 5'7" range but the eyeball test says 5'6" is low.

Finally, I would say that the average DI WBB player cannot be anywhere near the WNBA average.

Take from it what you will....and if you find a better reference, please let me know.

Reaction Score
No. She will have foul trouble.

I have enjoyed last years image of her crying everytime ESPN has played it, unlike the images of the overtime buzzer beaters against UConn. At least most people can't tell UConn is being beaten.

We will see last years tears for 3 more weeks. Surprised she was not shown after losing to Kentucky.

She should have come to UConn, Especially all the free tickets she took.
Ouch! I believe this is a bit harsh. And I know you do too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom