Official Selection Show thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Official Selection Show thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"When you live by the jump shot you die by the jump shot." Could have been Red or Russell.

Iowa likely will have a cold shooting game and their lack of defense will cost them. But they could also draw a lot of blood before they do. And if Clark is on then SCar could have trouble scoring enough.
Somehow people forget how bad Iowa's defense is this year...and last year for that matter. In all my years I've never seen a team who won a championship, men or women, on the college or pro level, whose ball dominant guard didn't play stellar defense. From my vantage Iowa and Clark would be the first.

Reaction Score
If folks could just stop looking at the shots Clark takes and just look at her on defense...you would get why she didn't start with USA Basketball. Her defense is just...not good. I'm not even sure she thinks about it on some plays.

Reaction Score
Somehow people forget how bad Iowa's defense is this year...and last year for that matter. In all my years I've never seen a team who won a championship, men or women, on the college or pro level, whose ball dominant guard didn't play stellar defense. From my vantage Iowa and Clark would be the first.
Don’t know why folks are assuming Iowa will face S.Carolina. Gotta get by ISU. Maybe not so easy. But I hope they do and then beat SC, so UConn can take them down.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
No offense to NCState, but their front line can't mess with Boston
Sorry to bring facts into it. This year against NC State, Boston was 3-8 for 8 points and 6 rebounds. The year before against NC State she was 4-14 for 9 points and 9 rebounds. Cunane and Boston fairly well neutralized each other in both games, and the teams each won one of the matchups. Both were relatively close games. Not seeing South Carolina being clearly superior here.

Reaction Score
Sorry to bring facts into it. This year against NC State, Boston was 3-8 for 8 points and 6 rebounds. The year before against NC State she was 4-14 for 9 points and 9 rebounds. Cunane and Boston fairly well neutralized each other in both games, and the teams each won one of the matchups. Both were relatively close games. Not seeing South Carolina being clearly superior here.
NC State shoots the 3 well too. Guards are physical as all heck.

Reaction Score
I feel many are overlooking Indiana, this team I think is a top 10 team who underperformed and had some injuries late in the season. They grind out games, that would not be a fun matchup if Uconn does meet Nc st 2 days later.

Reaction Score
The selection committee finally got it right. First, a tip o’ the turban for the committee putting 4 Big East teams in, and secondly for making UConn a 2 seed in the BPT region. We got a very good draw that first weekend.

The suspense is over. Now we know who and when we play. I’m hoping UConn has to take one more charter flight this season.
Do we actually know when (ie, what time) the UConn games are? I can’t find that info.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
LSU can lose to anyone…. No Morris, force everyone but Pointer to beat you. This was among the worst teams in D1 last year without Alexis

But I’m sure Kim will do the best she can to have them ready regardless.
Isn't Morris going to be back?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
SCar has no one that can guard Clark, but Iowa has no one that can contain Boston. What will kill Iowa though is the rest of SCar's front line and their bench. The 3rd and 4th quarters will be real tests for Iowa's stamina and determination. SCar's front line will beat them to death and their bench will have them dragging their feet at the end. IMO no matter how many teams from the B1G 10 made the dance, ain't a one of them really scares me. Clark's a fine player, but one off night and that team goes home.

Beal will give Clark fits IMO if they're matched up, she's an excellent defender. When Clark gets hot she's darn near unguardable, but she's turnover prone and can be streaky. If she isn't having a big night and Boston shuts down Czinano, Iowa can't win IMO.

Reaction Score
Isn't Morris going to be back?
She still isn’t practicing with the team yet but she does stuff on her own. She said she felt great earlier today

I think they also are waiting as long as possible to give her as much time as she can to heal.

Reaction Score
Elated that 4 B.E. Teams made it.

... and two in the NIT. Good showing. A few wins and maybe a team or two going deeper than expected (in addition to UConn) and this would be great for the conference. There's a core tradition of a special kind of basketball here that begs for this new BE to become something really Big.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Elated that 4 B.E. Teams made it.
Geno said it best tonight! Some conferences have 7,8, or 9 teams selected with the theory that they beat each other up during their conference games. But Big East teams get punished because they get dominated by UCONN. Their other inter- conference games should get the same consideration.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Taurasi or Bird stellar defenders and they've each won a zillion titles. I don't see Iowa as a realistic title threat, but their defense is much much better this year if you've watched their games. They aren't a great defensive team but they are far more active on defense than they were a year ago.

Reaction Score
  • First Four games will be played Wednesday, March 16 and Thursday, March 17 at top-16 seeds.
  • First- and second-round games will be played Friday, March 18, through Monday, March 21, at top-16 seeds.
  • Regionals are Friday, March 25, through Monday, March 28, in Connecticut, North Carolina, Washington and Kansas. The Sweet 16 will be played March 25-26, followed by the Elite Eight from March 27-28.
  • The Women's Final Four is at 7 and 9:30 p.m. ET on Friday, April 1 on ESPN, and the national championship game is at 8 p.m. Sunday, April 3 on ESPN at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn.
Thats as much as I know right now

Reaction Score
That's fair--I guess we'll find out how well SC fans travel. In 2019 they played in Greensboro for the Sweet 16 ( granted, as a 4 seed) but only drew 6500 fans. Their fan base is more established now and I'm sure far more fans will come this time with a better team, but we'll see if it's enough to provide a home crowd like atmosphere.
That was the year after A'ja. Dawn's worse team in the last 8 years.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Geno said it best tonight! Some conferences have 7,8, or 9 teams selected with the theory that they beat each other up during their conference games. But Big East teams get punished because they get dominated by UCONN. Their other inter- conference games should get the same consideration.
Big East got the lucky draw if anything, they have 6 teams in conference with winning records and 4 made the cut, including both of Villanova/DePaul who were bubble teams and snuck in. Seton Hall/Marquette were the two others that had winning records but didn't make the NCAAs. The problem is that they had zero quality wins (Marquette) or egregiously bad losses, plus no quality wins (Seton Hall). The programs from other conferences that get more teams in have better wins and less egregious losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom