Official: Hurley tells UK, NOPE | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Official: Hurley tells UK, NOPE

Reaction Score
There are some good KY fans, but holy Moses this is a bad look for them.
There are a lot of really bad ones. Some of them think Dan WANTS to go but is being held back by his wife and recommending he should divorce her because he could always "find another wife down here with all that money". Their words. This is the same fanbase who harassed their point guard Smith, sent threats to refs, doxed other refs and tried in vain to sabotage one refs business, stalked one coach at a Mexican restaurant a few days ago, and were on coach cals lawn after Oakland to the point where cops had to be called. Who wants to deal with that nonsense? They already have relevant phone numbers posted and are encouraging others to call and leave voice mails to complain about the hiring. It's all creepy and indefensible.

Reaction Score
This is the same fanbase who harassed their point guard Smith, sent threats to refs, doxed other refs and tried in vain to sabotage one refs business, stalked one coach at a Mexican restaurant a few days ago, and were on coach cals lawn after Oakland to the point where cops had to be called. Who wants to deal with that nonsense?
Yeah, my guess is that Drew had every intention of taking that job until the started stalking him and his family.

You don't send your family on a private jet to Lexington to scope out real estate if you aren't planning to take that job.

Reaction Score
Kentucky is hiring Pope. But c'mon guys. Don't let that stop you. Tell us how afraid you are that it's a fake out and a trap and they will still offer Hurley the keys to Fort Knox.

Reaction Score
Kentucky is hiring Pope. But c'mon guys. Don't let that stop you. Tell us how afraid you are that it's a fake out and a trap and they will still offer Hurley the keys to Fort Knox.

given that this site still seems to think flagg will reneg on his duke offer and come to uconn....

Reaction Score
There are a lot of really bad ones. Some of them think Dan WANTS to go but is being held back by his wife and recommending he should divorce her because he could always "find another wife down here with all that money". Their words. This is the same fanbase who harassed their point guard Smith, sent threats to refs, doxed other refs and tried in vain to sabotage one refs business, stalked one coach at a Mexican restaurant a few days ago, and were on coach cals lawn after Oakland to the point where cops had to be called. Who wants to deal with that nonsense? They already have relevant phone numbers posted and are encouraging others to call and leave voice mails to complain about the hiring. It's all creepy and indefensible.
This is what I was saying earlier in this thread in post #243. If you are a highly successful coach like Hurley (best coach in the country IMO), Nate Oats, Scott Drew, or someone else, there really isn't enough money in the world to leave your great situation to take on a Kentucky coaching job

Kolumbo said:
Regarding Bags of Cash. Anyone can go to Kentucky and you just don't know how it will pan out. Whatever Calipari was, he had a pretty good track record and they still hated him.

Dan Hurley is gold in Connecticut. He is only 6 years in and walks on water. He is the hottest coach in the country and is only getting started. Outside of salary, there are endorsements. There are speaking engagements. Consulting gigs. Books. His earning potential is immeasurable right now and has a much greater chance of growing here in Connecticut than leaving.

Nevertheless, the kentucky clowns obsessed with cash, just priceless.

My response
And that's what these idiot Kentucky fans couldn't get through their thick heads, not all of their fans to be fair, but the ones on that particular forum. Hurley has not just won one championship, but back to back at a prestigious elite basketball program, blue blood, new blood, whatever. Winning at Kentucky wasn't going to make him feel any better. He is going to make more money with a raise, which he and the staff deserve and have earned, and all those other opportunities you just mentioned.

Why would he ever consider going to Kentucky for a more lucrative contract and be under the gun of that pressure cooker. He wouldn't be able to rebuild that program the way he wants in his mold because that fanbase has no patience and would want his blood if he didn't win it all immediately. Then he would risk having his reputation tarnished on some level if he had to flee like Calipari did.

Reaction Score

I love this guy!

Here at UConn, obviously you want your staff to be rewarded. You want the university to double down on the investments, so we can stay at the top of the mountain. So, your agent tells you with the media — basically, try not to say no without saying no. Be evasive as possible so you don't hurt his ability to get the things that he needs at UConn, to just be totally honest."
"I told them very early on that I have no interest — my wife, my family — we have no interest. Why would you leave the current best program in the country? Why would you leave the best program to go somewhere else?"

Reaction Score
He hasn't said "absolutely never." Until he Hurley says absolutely never, he is leaving the door open to go to Kentucky. It's not a done deal. Kentucky could buyout the BYU guy if Hurley says yes.

Reaction Score
He hasn't said "absolutely never." Until he Hurley says absolutely never, he is leaving the door open to go to Kentucky. It's not a done deal. Kentucky could buyout the BYU guy if Hurley says yes.
Doomed!

But seriously, that's true of anyone at any job at any time. There's no such thing as "absolutely never." Hurley has said as much as anyone can meaningfully say about being happy in his job and having no plans or desire to leave.

Reaction Score
If Brooklyn or the Knicks come calling I bet he'd take it. Otherwise I think UConn has its guy for the next decade at least.

Reaction Score
Problem is we heard it before. Admittedly, not from him. But Randy Edsall said he would be at UConn for "as long as you'll have me."
And he didn’t leave at the first chance he got.

I also don’t see him coaching in the NBA anytime soon. They play no defense at all and he demands it! Throw in that he would require superstars to buy into the team first over personal stats. Not to mention that most them prima donna’s expect their asses to be kissed not pushed.
I’m not saying he couldn’t coach in the NBA , I just don’t see it as a fit . Just my opinion

Reaction Score
Problem is we heard it before. Admittedly, not from him. But Randy Edsall said he would be at UConn for "as long as you'll have me."
Edsall wasn’t at the top of the sport. Who is Dan Hurley’s Maryland if he already turned down Kentucky

Reaction Score
You can't compare leaving UConn football for greener pastures to leaving UConn basketball....UConn BB is at the pinnacle of the sport for the past 30 years. No reason for DH to leave UConn for another school...NBA a different story.

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> In the meantime, there were overtures from Kentucky, which was looking to replace the departed John Calipari. That possibility was a non-starter, a no-chance from the get-go. Hurley, 52, made that clear to Kentucky. And on Saturday he made it clear that he will never coach another college basketball team.

“I had a conversation,” Hurley said inside the XL Center, after the rally. “You talk to your agent the whole year. You talk to him more later in the year. A lot of the conversations, he's just checking in with you. But he made me aware of that situation and my family and me and anything that comes forward, it's like, the only people you should be talking to is UConn. Because we have no desire to ever leave here to coach college basketball anywhere else.

Maybe down the road, you hope you can mature enough emotionally to, much later in my career, to try to take a shot at the NBA — down the road, way down the road. I'm not going to coach anywhere else in college, unless UConn doesn't want me here.” <-

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> In the meantime, there were overtures from Kentucky, which was looking to replace the departed John Calipari. That possibility was a non-starter, a no-chance from the get-go. Hurley, 52, made that clear to Kentucky. And on Saturday he made it clear that he will never coach another college basketball team.

“I had a conversation,” Hurley said inside the XL Center, after the rally. “You talk to your agent the whole year. You talk to him more later in the year. A lot of the conversations, he's just checking in with you. But he made me aware of that situation and my family and me and anything that comes forward, it's like, the only people you should be talking to is UConn. Because we have no desire to ever leave here to coach college basketball anywhere else.

Maybe down the road, you hope you can mature enough emotionally to, much later in my career, to try to take a shot at the NBA — down the road, way down the road. I'm not going to coach anywhere else in college, unless UConn doesn't want me here.” <-

Probably late 50, early 60s, a decade give or take maybe he tries the Nets, Knicks or something like that if the opportunity arises.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Probably late 50, early 60s, a decade give or take maybe he tries the Nets, Knicks or something like that if the opportunity arises.
I don't know... I'd think the only way he does that is if he can take staff with him, like Luke and Andrew.

I do think it's quite likely he gets named coach of the US Nat'l Team in the near future. It'll be interesting to see how he fits that into his schedule/routine. And assuming he does get that gig, that'll inform him somewhat as to whether he wants the NBA and/or whether he thinks he could succeed there.

Reaction Score
I don't know... I'd think the only way he does that is if he can take staff with him, like Luke and Andrew.

I do think it's quite likely he gets named coach of the US Nat'l Team in the near future. It'll be interesting to see how he fits that into his schedule/routine. And assuming he does get that gig, that'll inform him somewhat as to whether he wants the NBA and/or whether he thinks he could succeed there.
It'd be wise of him to take it if so, learning experience and he can get some kind of glimpse into what coaching in the nba could be like or the personalities he'd be dealing with and if it's for him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Was that before or after his back-to-back National Championships?

Seriously, Edsall was making progress, but he was not a the pinnacle of his entire profession, nor is UConn an inappropriate setting for someone to be in that position.

If the college athletics landscape were to change so drastically that, for example, non-P2 schools literally could not longer compete at the very highest level, then if a highest level coach departed, it would make more sense to hate the shift in the sports setup than the departure of the coach.

A situation like that would be instantly and obviously recognizable. And yes, it would suck.

But the Edsall example does not apply, even if it felt awful when he leftatva key ascending juncture Surely, you must recognize the distinction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom