Official 2023 bracket thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Official 2023 bracket thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Big East with 5 teams in, and 2 in the top 16 hosting! The showing in the tournament last year definitely helped prove the BE is definitely not an easy, one-team conference.
Was glad to see 5 get in as well.

I'm hopeful that all 5 get to the second game (3rd game for StJohn) or further.

My opinion is that for it to validate the BE level of competition, the BE teams have to win.

Reaction Score
The 538 site now has its bracket up so you can see one model's view of the odds of making the final four. Here are teh odds of making the final four by the top four seeds in each bracket. The model seems to think that we are more like a 1 seed.

1​
Vtech
26​
2​
uconn
44​
3​
osu
8​
4​
tenn
14​
field
8​
1​
Stanford
52​
2​
Iowa
28​
3​
Duke
4​
4​
Texas
12​
field
4​
1​
SC
91​
2​
MD
4​
3​
ND
4​
4​
UCLA
1​
field
0​
1​
Indiana
54​
2​
Utah
9​
3​
LSU
25​
4​
Villanova
5​
field
7​

Reaction Score
Does UConn play one or two games at home as a 2 seed
Most teams that are hosting have the potential to play two games at home. So if UConn wins against Vermont, they will then play the winner of the Baylor/Alabama Game. Thus, their two games played at Gampel Pavilion.

Reaction Score
Baylor will be tough if we meet them in game 2. They’ve beat Villanova and Texas. Happy we get them at home if we best Vermont.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts I have about the Bracket and the Tournament: NOT IN ANY REAL ORDER:
1. Most everyone was shocked UCONN was NOT a #1 seed
2. Stanford could have trouble in their bracket with L'ville, ,TX, but especially Iowa!
Iowa is playing like a team on a mission!
Their offense with Clark, Czinano, Warnock, Martin, and Marshall all seniors except for Clark!
Their defense not great but smart enough to play well enough to let their offense carry them!
3. I loved it when WVU was announced in the field as #10 in the Greenville 1 Region after Charlie Creme said there was no way they'd make it in!
4. In the Greenville 2 Region Indiana had a blip in the Big 10 Tournament but is a very solid team! But there are some very hot teams in that Region. Washington State came from a 10th seed to win the Pac 12, Villanova with Maddy and Olsen can't be overlooked, Michigan is healthy again, Princeton can give anyone problems on any given day, And Utah is much better than their loss in the Pac 12!
5. UCONN definitely, if healthy can beat Virginia Tech but Iowa State can take them out before they get to UCONN
6. I'm not a Brenda Frese/MD fan but on a hot night could possibly give SoCar a tight game
7. #8 South Florida vs #9 Marquette should be an early barn burner
8. #7 Arizona vs #10 WVU should be interesting also
9. #8 Oklahoma shoots so many threes can be a challenge if Indiana is off their game!
10. A very interesting tournament for upsets and great games!
11. My Final Four teams:
SoCar
Iowa
Indiana
UCONN
Iowa over SoCar on a Clark basket at the buzzer!
UCONN over Indiana, Azzi and Lopez Senechal, Edwards, and Juhasz go crazy!
UCONN beats Iowa, UCONN's defense leads the way #12!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Eh... not really. The program is still in massive rebuild mode. They probably aren't hosting if they scheduled tougher early on working with so many new players and freshmen (8 of the 10 scholarship players are brand new)

I would call it a win for them to even be hosting year 2.

Michigan will be a tough one for them but certainly a way better matchup than last years team vs Ohio St
Yeah, I’m thinking a team that was twenty something and 0 at one point and ended up in contention for a two seed, and who was even a tough out last year, is not in “massive rebuild mode”. Let’s face it, she could have cut every non conference opponent’s ranking in half and they would likely still have the same record. Mulkey is a remarkable coach for sure and your team (I assume) has a very bright future. It would be nice if she starts scheduling some good teams though.

Reaction Score
Anything can happen between now and then. I believe in one game at a time, while not under estimating any team’s potential and talents.
Also, your team’s pathway is deservedly not bad. You guys earned it. Congratulations
I think it’s hilarious how they worked this out so they could avoid giving UConn a (probably deserved) one seed but made sure they had a relatively easy path to the desired showdown with SC in the finals. What’s also amusing is that they are getting fire anyway as people are now resentful of the “easy” path for UConn to get back to the final four. Sigh, sometimes you just can’t win!

Reaction Score
I'm looking over the top 4 lines and wondering who on each line is upset first.

4 line: It's tempting to pick on Villanova, but I'm going with Tennessee losing to Iowa St in the second round
3 line: This one's easy. ND goes down to Creighton in the second round
2 line: Utah will lose to LSU in the third, but I think Iowa will lose to either of Ga or FSU in the second round
1 line: This will be a disappointment, but I'm calling for Scar to lose to UCLA in the third round. It will be a massive upset and will suck a lot of the air out of the tournament. You heard it here first.
Does anyone know if Olivia Miles will be able to play? ND won’t be so easy if she’s healthy.

Reaction Score
I'm looking over the top 4 lines and wondering who on each line is upset first.

4 line: It's tempting to pick on Villanova, but I'm going with Tennessee losing to Iowa St in the second round
3 line: This one's easy. ND goes down to Creighton in the second round
2 line: Utah will lose to LSU in the third, but I think Iowa will lose to either of Ga or FSU in the second round
1 line: This will be a disappointment, but I'm calling for Scar to lose to UCLA in the third round. It will be a massive upset and will suck a lot of the air out of the tournament. You heard it here first.
Bless you! I always knew there was something about you that I liked!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Maryland will be tough in the Elite Eight if both teams make it. Maryland and UConn were the two-seeds I absolutely did not want.
I beg to differ. I think Maryland will get absolutely crushed! Having said that, I do think the most likely avenue for SC to lose is them having an off night against a really hot offensive team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My question is, if he (Crème) is so sure UConn is going to the FF, why didn’t he have them as a number one?

Reaction Score
Baylor will be tough if we meet them in game 2. They’ve beat Villanova and Texas. Happy we get them at home if we best Vermont.
IU will have outs hands full with Villanova. It is totally possible that UConn could meet Villanova for the fourth time. Shades of ND.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The best team Virginia Tech has beaten all season is Duke.

20221005_235916.jpg

And??? Do you realize who the second best team UConn has beat this year? I'll give you one guess. :confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bet against Iowa this year at your peril. I'm a homer, but a realistic homer.
As Geno said in reference to Villanova and Maddy Siegrist, “When you have the best player on the court, you have a chance to beat anybody. Believe me I know!” Iowa will certainly have the best player on the court against pretty much every team that they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom