OT: - NY Giants | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: NY Giants

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gettleman cannot “know for a fact” that two other teams were going to select Jones before the 17th pick. The draft is fluid and depends on the selections and deals made before your turn tho pick. The most he can know is that two other teams (Denver and Washington) had a need for a QB and an interest in Jones, among others. No way is Washington ever going to admit it even if it did have Jones rated higher than Haskins, because they have to be all in on Haskins now that he’s the one they got. Hell, earlier in the week the word was that the Giants were looking at Lock at 17 and were worried that he wouldn’t be there. Everyone bluffs. Gettleman has convinced himself because he panicked.

Reaction Score
Gettleman cannot “know for a fact” that two other teams were going to select Jones before the 17th pick. The draft is fluid and depends on the selections and deals made before your turn tho pick. The most he can know is that two other teams (Denver and Washington) had a need for a QB and an interest in Jones, among others. No way is Washington ever going to admit it even if it did have Jones rated higher than Haskins, because they have to be all in on Haskins now that he’s the one they got. Hell, earlier in the week the word was that the Giants were looking at Lock at 17 and were worried that he wouldn’t be there. Everyone bluffs. Gettleman has convinced himself because he panicked.
I still don’t get how Haskins dropped to the Skins. So those two teams also valued Jones over not only Haskins, but the obvious defensive talent sitting right in front of them?

Does Gettleman think that either of those teams are losing any sleep over not trading up to 6?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Westgate opened them at 6 with juice on the under. Sweet roster.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

How does one panic with weeks to prepare for a draft in which you're picking #6?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How does one panic with weeks to prepare for a draft in which you're picking #6?
Apparently because he convinced himself that the guy he wanted for QB at 17 wouldn’t be there by then so he had to change his plans at take him at #6.

Reaction Score
I still don’t get how Haskins dropped to the Skins. So those two teams also valued Jones over not only Haskins, but the obvious defensive talent sitting right in front of them?

Does Gettleman think that either of those teams are losing any sleep over not trading up to 6?
Talk in Denver was Lock was the QB they wanted. The Dolphins were also interested in a QB.

Reaction Score
Odd travel weekend, and I was writing outside on a lovely early Sunday morning in Phoenix, at a table in the back of my hotel. Middle-aged guy approaches, introduces himself. “Giants fan,” the guy said. “Talk me off the ledge. Does Gettleman know what he’s doing?”

“I’ll give you one,” Gettleman himself said over the phone an hour later. “I was at my bagel shop this morning. Guy said to me, ‘Dave, great pick.’ “

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Odd travel weekend, and I was writing outside on a lovely early Sunday morning in Phoenix, at a table in the back of my hotel. Middle-aged guy approaches, introduces himself. “Giants fan,” the guy said. “Talk me off the ledge. Does Gettleman know what he’s doing?”

“I’ll give you one,” Gettleman himself said over the phone an hour later. “I was at my bagel shop this morning. Guy said to me, ‘Dave, great pick.’ “

Good grief. That reads like a Donald Trump quote.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also, fwiw, the quote about him falling in love after 3 series in the Senior Bowl is sneaky too. They leave out the beginning where Gettlemen says he loved Jones on film and then went to the Senior Bowl where...
...he fell in love all over again?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like Jones a great deal. He had the worse team out of the top quarterbacks in this draft. His players dropped the most passes and he was hit more than any other quarterback.
He can move in the pocket, has a good arm and is mobile. Something needed in today's NFL

Reaction Score
I like Jones a great deal. He had the worse team out of the top quarterbacks in this draft. His players dropped the most passes and he was hit more than any other quarterback.
He can move in the pocket, has a good arm and is mobile. Something needed in today's NFL
What are you doing on this board Gettleman?

Reaction Score
Everyone hating on Jones pick and have never seen him play. Let the guy play and make a decision after if he is franchise qb no other player picked would’ve been more valuable. Did you see him light up temple in bowl game with recievers and lineman a little better than what we have at uconn come on guys don’t let media drive what you think make your own decisions. Ohio state had basically there whole receiver core and line drafted same with Oklahoma. I believe all three were around same grade all have weaknesses. We will see who will make it on the field and then I will make my decision. This team has most hypocritical fans everyone says take a qb and when they do they want to say wrong kid wrong slot in draft Gettleman was never going to win no matter what he did. Now he will just laugh st everyone when he proves them all wrong. Already better than Reese in his first draft drafted more started than Reese in 5 drafts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Everyone hating on Jones pick and have never seen him play. Let the guy play and make a decision after if he is franchise qb no other player picked would’ve been more valuable. Did you see him light up temple in bowl game with recievers and lineman a little better than what we have at uconn come on guys don’t let media drive what you think make your own decisions. Ohio state had basically there whole receiver core and line drafted same with Oklahoma. I believe all three were around same grade all have weaknesses. We will see who will make it on the field and then I will make my decision. This team has most hypocritical fans everyone says take a qb and when they do they want to say wrong kid wrong slot in draft Gettleman was never going to win no matter what he did. Now he will just laugh st everyone when he proves them all wrong. Already better than Reese in his first draft drafted more started than Reese in 5 drafts.

Nice to meet you Mrs Gettleman - welcome to the BY.

Reaction Score
Hurrdurr/10

Reaction Score
Regarding the draft as a whole and putting aside picking this Duke QB 6th, I think they got some nice potential with the Clemson DT and two highly regarded CB's. Time will tell but I'm not jumping off the ledge yet.
Don't forget they're supplemental pick - CB Beal who some thought may have been 1st round material if he stayed in school - should be back healthy and we are adding high-upside Peppers and a veteran in Bethea to the secondary.

Reaction Score
Cream cheese or butter on the bagel?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nice start! Having an offensive line makes such a difference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom