Number of cable subscribers in each state | The Boneyard

Number of cable subscribers in each state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems number of cable subscribers in a TV market is driving both SEC and B1G expansions. Can someone post number of cable subscribers in each state? I read somewhere that CT only got 1.1M cable subscribers? That only translate to roughly $12M per year for B1G network? I would like to understand where we stand relative to others. It would be good to see how CT compares to other states such as VA, NC and Georgia.

Reaction Score
It's new markets and viewers that seem to be driving realignment. Based on that assumption, the SEC should be looking at a Virgina school (3.4 million viewers) and one of the North Carolina (2.8 million viewers) schools. The B1G is probably looking at a Virginia school and Georgia Tech, the catch, Notre Dame would always be welcome. The Big 12 staying at 10 schools seems unlikely, Florida State and Clemson are good candidates to move to a football first conference if the money is right.

Any of this happens and the door opens to the ACC which is becoming the Big East 2.0.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the info. This is the kind of data B1G is looking at for expansion.

CT has 1.15M cable households at 85.1% of total households
NJ has 2.68M cable households at 84.4% of total households
MD has 1.57M cable households at 72.9% of total households
MA has 2.23M cable households at 87.4% of total households
VA has 1.90M cable households at 62.2% of total households
NC has 2.08M cable households at 55.6% of total households
NY has 5.68M cable households at 79.3% of total households
KS has 690K cable households at 62.8% of total households
GA has 2.03M cable households at 55.5% of total households

I believe these are all the states that B1G is looking at. In the case of NJ and MD, they just took Maryland and RU. I can see why B1G is interested in NY, VA, NC and GA. The question is can UCONN claim cable subscribers from all the New England state? Can we deliver that?

Reaction Score
It's new markets and viewers that seem to be driving realignment. Based on that assumption, the SEC should be looking at a Virgina school (3.4 million viewers) and one of the North Carolina (2.8 million viewers) schools. The B1G is probably looking at a Virginia school and Georgia Tech, the catch, Notre Dame would always be welcome. The Big 12 staying at 10 schools seems unlikely, Florida State and Clemson are good candidates to move to a football first conference if the money is right.

Any of this happens and the door opens to the ACC which is becoming the Big East 2.0.

ACC got their TV contract locked in with ESPN and they don't have a network. B12 is in similar situation although schools own their tier-3 rights but they are not polled together in a network. This is why ACC did not care about taking UL since KY as whole only got 981K cab subs at 56.1% of total households. UL can't even deliver the state so their numbers must be even less than 981K.

Since BE is also expanding into TV markets, it seems BE really needs to go into CA more.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This is why the B1G expansion makes sense and the ACC expansion doesn't... it also makes me think that the B1G might be more interested in say Syracuse and any of these: UVA, GT, UNC/Duke.

B1G expansion is purely about dollars and ACC expansion is to appease the rabble.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I believe these are all the states that B1G is looking at. In the case of NJ and MD, they just took Maryland and RU. I can see why B1G is interested in NY, VA, NC and GA. The question is can UCONN claim cable subscribers from all the New England state? Can we deliver that?

No. The Nate Silver analysis points to that. UConn owns CT, a bit of Western MA and a sliver of NYC. That's it. We can't even deliver RI.

What I'd love to know is what the value of BC is to the ACC. I don't believe they're getting all the cable subscribers in MA. I think UConn would have a much higher penetration in CT than BC does in MA/RI.

Reaction Score
This is why the B1G expansion makes sense and the ACC expansion doesn't... it also makes me think that the B1G might be more interested in say Syracuse and any of these: UVA, GT, UNC/Duke.

B1G expansion is purely about dollars and ACC expansion is to appease the rabble.

I think if B1G was B1G network on basic tier in NY, they will have to add Syracuse and UCONN in addition to RU. They already got PSU. There is no way Syracuse can deliver 5.68M subs in NY by themselves. UCONN and RU both own a piece of NYC TV market. I am not even sure all 3 of us plus PSU can deliver NY, but it is better than just RU and PSU.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think if B1G was B1G network on basic tier in NY, they will have to add Syracuse and UCONN in addition to RU. They already got PSU. There is no way Syracuse can deliver 5.68M subs in NY by themselves. UCONN and RU both own a piece of NYC TV market. I am not even sure all 3 of us plus PSU can deliver NY, but it is better than just RU and PSU.
That's definitely why the addition of Rutgers. It's the best bang for the buck in the NYC area especially when you take into account NJ.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Louisville's numbers are good. Fantastic even. They have 5 top 25 football finishes to add to the media revenue pool. They sold 35,000 tickets to the Orange Bowl. They are Southern crazy about Football. Their budget is bigger than FSUs. Facilities are new. They draw 100,000 more a year for football than CT.

See link to basketball ratings

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/11/60498/

I hate the decision but it was a good fit for the ACC. Raycom is well placed in Louisville. They'll do well sponging off the Louisville base

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Louisville's numbers are good. Fantastic even. They have 5 top 25 football finishes to add to the media revenue pool. They sold 35,000 tickets to the Orange Bowl. They are Southern crazy about Football. Their budget is bigger than FSUs. Facilities are new. They draw 100,000 more a year for football than CT.

See link to basketball ratings

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/11/60498/

I hate the decision but it was a good fit for the ACC. Raycom is well placed in Louisville. They'll do well sponging off the Louisville base

That's interesting and disturbing. Hartford is tied for #17 barely above Pittsburgh and Tulsa. Sort of blows to bits any theory that CT drops what they're doing to watch hoops. Also seems to support the position of Cincy as the next target over UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom