Now That Donovan’s Back….. | The Boneyard

Now That Donovan’s Back…..

Reaction Score
Isn’t it amazing how in just 16 minutes of play the impact that he can have offense and defense? And on a night where we didn’t have shots fall. The team has done a great job without him holding down the fort because of the great talent we have but he will just make everything and everybody better on both ends of the court. The most important thing and that includes more than maintaining a top 5 ranking or winning every BE game is to get him to March in good condition. I know you can’t plan for or prevent how players land from rebounds or get physically beat up out there but maybe keeping his minutes as reasonable as possible could be prioritized. With him out there all things are possible.

Reaction Score
Also he needs to work on pivoting around the basket more and improving his footwork. With his height, having some basic moves would make him deadly. Once the rust clears, hopefully he’ll be smoother around the basket

Reaction Score
The good news is while the rust was clearly thick and his conditioning can’t be there, he moved more like last year’s DC than the less mobile player we saw earlier this season.

Yes, pray his medical team knows what they’re doing.
Yeah he was running up and down the court just like last year. Even if we have to keep him to 15-20mpg the rest of the year, he's so much more impactful when he can move like that.

Reaction Score
The good news is while the rust was clearly thick and his conditioning can’t be there, he moved more like last year’s DC than the less mobile player we saw earlier this season.

I didn’t feel the “rust was really thick” in fact I was a bit surprised how well he played considering how much time he’s missed this season.

Reaction Score
I thought you were going to say he hurt his back.

He changes the game just standing there.

Reaction Score
Isn’t it amazing how in just 16 minutes of play the impact that he can have offense and defense? And on a night where we didn’t have shots fall. The team has done a great job without him holding down the fort because of the great talent we have but he will just make everything and everybody better on both ends of the court. The most important thing and that includes more than maintaining a top 5 ranking or winning every BE game is to get him to March in good condition. I know you can’t plan for or prevent how players land from rebounds or get physically beat up out there but maybe keeping his minutes as reasonable as possible could be prioritized. With him out there all things are possible.
I’m thinking Tim Duncan/lebron/shaq treatment.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I didn’t feel the “rust was really thick” in fact I was a bit surprised how well he played considering how much time he’s missed this season.
Both can be true. He missed some bunnies that he typically would have made earlier in the season. OTOH, he made the team better defensively just standing in the paint, let alone getting out to block that 3 ball.

Reaction Score
Without Clingan, it seems UConn and the opponent are going back and forth trying to separate and neither seems to succeed. In comes Clingan, and within a couple of minutes UConn pulls away to nearly double digit leads. That is what we saw a lot of last season, with Clingan as a back up, and that is what we saw last night. Once the separation is achieved, UConn has the players to maintain it. So cool to see it happen last night.

Reaction Score
I'm definitely trying to live in the moment and enjoy every minute of this season, but sometimes my mind wanders off into thinking about next season. DC has been such a difference maker, taking us to the next level these last two seasons, how are we ever going to maintain this level without him next year? Sad to think about. Don't see any giants like him in the recruiting pipeline.

Reaction Score
Also he needs to work on pivoting around the basket more and improving his footwork. With his height, having some basic moves would make him deadly. Once the rust clears, hopefully he’ll be smoother around the basket

For sure... He tends to go full spazz when he gets the ball in the post. His first touch he rushed and missed the rim. Even the 2nd chance bucket where he got blocked was a bit of a rushed shot.

I'd argue the best post move he's ever made was in the second half when he gathered, bodied his guy up, and did a gorgeous lefty jump hook. He didn't rush, he was assertive, and it was gorgeous.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I would like to see him take that shot from the top of the key. I think he could make a few of those. After the last game I made a comment about Samson taking at least one at the beginning of the game. It if goes in it will pull the defense a step further out. He did that but missed badly but I think we will see it again. Why is that important for both DC/SJ and the team. If Clingan’s defender is playing below the free throw line in the lane it closes driving lanes. But also limits the opportunity for lob passes since the defender is already in position. Basically just making a few of those will help the way we can space the floor. When a team like Creighton sells out to stop the three having their center in the lane helps reduce the threat that comes with over playing on the perimeter for the most part that was how they defended us. Castle tried to get downhill but 7’1” Kalk standing in the lane all the time limited his ability to get the shot off.

Reaction Score
I would like to see him take that shot from the top of the key. I think he could make a few of those. After the last game I made a comment about Samson taking at least one at the beginning of the game. It if goes in it will pull the defense a step further out. He did that but missed badly but I think we will see it again. Why is that important for both DC/SJ and the team. If Clingan’s defender is playing below the free throw line in the lane it closes driving lanes. But also limits the opportunity for lob passes since the defender is already in position. Basically just making a few of those will help the way we can space the floor. When a team like Creighton sells out to stop the three having their center in the lane helps reduce the threat that comes with over playing on the perimeter for the most part that was how they defended us. Castle tried to get downhill but 7’1” Kalk standing in the lane all the time limited his ability to get the shot off.
The 3 pointer was part of Johnson's game coming into college. I would like to see him and Clingan put up 1 a game and if they make, let them maybe put up another.

I would also like to have Clingan watch film of Eddy. Eddy is much more polished at the offensive end. I think part of his problem has been the foot, but he makes himself small or gets himself too deep sometimes. There is nothing wrong with passing back out and reposting when that happens.

Still, the way he directs players and helps create spacing is so valuable to the team. Plus, it lets Johnson relax physically for a few minutes and mentally.

Reaction Score
He impacted that game just by being at the rim on D at times. Shots they didn’t even attempt. Stats don’t tell the story all the time.

caw

Reaction Score

Yeah and he was up against a top 5 college center, and arguably the best defensive center (not named Clingan).

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I think they do. I loved the way they played DC. In and out, He looked good. Hopefully it stays that way.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I think they do. I loved the way they played DC. In and out, He looked good. Hopefully it stays that way.
In and out is a role he is very comfortable with as it was exactly how he was used last year

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Please no. This is a Providence thing
Taking even that away from them is the only thing that's vaguely appealing about it.

Reaction Score
I’d be ok bringing him off the bench just like last year. Then playing him at crunch time

Reaction Score
Ehh, taking one a game doesn’t draw the opposing center out to the perimeter, hitting them at a solid clip does. AJax and Castle’s defenders didn’t/don’t chase them out to the perimeter just because threes are going up. No offense to Samson, but Dixon isn’t going to have a second thought because of that three he put up against Creighton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom