Now that Cox is out, who is going to fill the recruiting spot? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Now that Cox is out, who is going to fill the recruiting spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I promise you it will. If UCONN keeps missing out on top talent such as #1 and #2 recruits. The program might continue its winning ways, however it'll be much harder to win Championships, regardless how good of a coach Geno is. That's just my opinion though.
I Agee with what you're saying. However, I would like for a few more challenging games. It's better for the game and it will keep UCONN wanting for more. That leaves no room for complacency.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well for the next 4 years UConn has Katie Lou number 1 Collier who is a top 10 Dangerfield coming in next season a number 2 Tuck is here for a couple of more years a former 1 before getting injured. I think UConn is ok for now. The future is the future and we will wait and see.

I think we all need to recognize that by having so many number 1 and number 2 players out of high school its tuff to recruit more because playtime is limited. Where do you put them? Another thing some kids want to stay close to home ala Cox some want to go to a school and get Stanford or ND education. UConn cant get all the number 1 kids but they get a lot more then other schools.

At UConn BB is king and queen. Its a bigger deal then other schools. If you want the opportunity at UConn you come if you want something else you go elsewhere. Just like if you want a Stanford or ND or Duke education you go there. Its about a kids priorities and what they want. If you want something, anything in life you have to make choices.

Geno and UConn have been on a roll for along time. They've built something special. They are higher respected. The have a great reputation. The kids that really want it will come.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well for the next 4 years UConn has Katie Lou number 1 Collier who is a top 10 Dangerfield coming in next season a number 2 Tuck is here for a couple of more years a former 1 before getting injured. I think UConn is ok for now. The future is the future and we will wait and see.

I think we all need to recognize that by having so many number 1 and number 2 players out of high school its tuff to recruit more because playtime is limited. Where do you put them? Another thing some kids want to stay close to home ala Cox some want to go to a school and get Stanford or ND education. UConn cant get all the number 1 kids but they get a lot more then other schools.

At UConn BB is king and queen. Its a bigger deal then other schools. If you want the opportunity at UConn you come if you want something else you go elsewhere. Just like if you want a Stanford or ND or Duke education you go there. Its about a kids priorities and what they want. If you want something, anything in life you have to make choices.

Geno and UConn have been on a roll for along time. They've built something special. They are higher respected. The have a great reputation. The kids that really want it will come.

Reaction Score
There was an interesting comment by Geno at the AAC media day panel discussions regarding trends in basketball - he said that more and more coaches are understanding that the most important thing in basketball is the ball, so the best way to play the game is with as many players on the court at the same time who can handle the ball without turning it over, pass the ball, and shoot the ball. The result is that you are seeing more teams that are playing four or five guard like players. I think you look at teams like Dayton and Princeton from last year and the success they had. And Uconn has most years been more interested in ball handling skills than size - great when the two combine in a player like Stewart or Stef, but if you go back further 2002 - none of the players on his 'best team ever' was over 6'2". It also points to why Kiah may have struggled more at Uconn to establish her 'value' to the team - great defender and rebounder, ball handling was always a comparative weakness.

AND Geno also pointed out that there is a paucity of (good) bigs on the market. While UConn will manage (really well) with what it has, the loss of Aja and Lauren is the loss of a rare commodity.

Reaction Score
I promise you it will. If UCONN keeps missing out on top talent such as #1 and #2 recruits. The program might continue its winning ways, however it'll be much harder to win Championships, regardless how good of a coach Geno is. That's just my opinion though.

If these recruit ratings are such an accurate indication of future success, then Duke, UNCheat and TU would win every year. How's that been working out??

Reaction Score
If these recruit ratings are such an accurate indication of future success, then Duke, UNCheat and TU would win every year. How's that been working out??
Well for one you guys have recruited the best...when needed. Other school ls havent. KML was #1 and the clear best player in that class, follow that up with the "once in a lifetime" type of recruit in Stewart who was #1 and MoJeff who was #2 in their classes and you have a combination of recruits Duke, UNC, and TU (I don't really know who that is, maybe you meant UT (Tennessee)) Geno Although I do believe KLS to be a good basketball player, I do not believe she was the best in the class. The talent is pretty strong within the top 10 but Collier and KLS are definitely solid top 5 recruits IMO. Now whether or not that turns into championships, I don't know. I can however tell you that Geno has produced when he's had #1 and #2 recruits on team.

Reaction Score
Well for one you guys have recruited the best...when needed. Other school ls havent. KML was #1 and the clear best player in that class, follow that up with the "once in a lifetime" type of recruit in Stewart who was #1 and MoJeff who was #2 in their classes and you have a combination of recruits Duke, UNC, and TU (I don't really know who that is, maybe you meant UT (Tennessee)) Geno Although I do believe KLS to be a good basketball player, I do not believe she was the best in the class. The talent is pretty strong within the top 10 but Collier and KLS are definitely solid top 5 recruits IMO. Now whether or not that turns into championships, I don't know. I can however tell you that Geno has produced when he's had #1 and #2 recruits on team.

Wah, wah, wah! Takes more than one or two players, silly vol fan. Coaching, coaching, coaching, coaching, etc....COACHING.

"You guys have recruited the best...when needed"???
--I'm just a fan of Geno's coaching; I have no affiliation with the team or the University. Therefore, I can't be part "You guys".
--Don't you always need to recruit the best need for the team?
--UT is Texas. Don't steal their moniker, they have enough problems. (I'm from an A&M family, so pity me)

Now, enjoy the run to the Elite Eight. Cue the band: "Rocky Top....."

Reaction Score
If the answer is Te'a Cooper I vote for immediate banishment....

I'm voting for my neighbor's daughter. She got a new VW Bug for her graduation back in May, promptly ran into the back of a parked car while she was texting. She bounced out, uninjured, and screamed: "Dad...I need a car!" She's a local hero.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One awkward rebound by Stewie; one slippery cut by Tuck; one ill advised dive into the stands by Mo; and the season gets a whole lot more interesting.
Don't%20say%20such%20things.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc