Notre Dame 7 out of 12... | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 7 out of 12...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN and all the announcers love to talk to us about how many wins Notre Dame has over UCONN. Now that UCONN has won the past four straight games.... going back to the 2013 semi finals.... the 2014 final game... then the two games this year... how much longer are they going to say that Notre Dame has our number or point it out? I mean look at the overall record....

What do you all think?

Reaction Score
I think that they already know/knew the likely outcome, and that those numbers are from the past and pretty much irrelevant. But, their job is to TALK. And to make things sound relevant, interesting, and intriguing.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Put up all the jaw-dropping WL records for UConn over the last 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 years and there is one record against a team that kind of stands out as an aberration from the rest in that one small chunk of a span that goes back over the last 5 years and where ND has the series lead at 6-5. Sorry, that is worth talking about, for the Irish a source of pride and for UConn a goad to remember not to be satisfied. We talk about all sorts of records for UConn going back over the years, so what's wrong with saying that ND has had some success? If nothing else it adds some drama to the meetings, and the announcers did say at times that the Huskies had won the last 3, now 4.

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
Does Notre Dame "have our number?" It's all relative. If commentators insist upon using that phrase, I guess they have our number to a greater extent than other top teams do.

From a sports analyst's perspective, I think that part of their job is to encourage greater viewership. You don't do that by saying, "Folks, you can stay tuned if you want but this is likely to be a mismatch."

Reaction Score
In the past 3 years the record is 3-4, and the losses were before Stewie became one of the key players. Before the NCAA tournament in 2013, the key players were Kelly, Bria, Stef, and KML, and Stewie supported them. Geno had his talk with the team before the tournament, and the rest is UConn's ongoing history. By the way since that talk, UConn is 84-1.

Reaction Score
Over the past 3 years, UConn is 113-5, ND is 108-6. UConn leads 4-3 in games between the 2 teams over that time frame. Think about that, against everyone else in WBB, they are 110-2 and 105-2 respectively. Each had one loss to a Griner led Baylor team and each had 1 inexplicable loss this year (Stanford and Miami). They have to talk about something to keep the more casual fans semi-interested.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We talk about all sorts of records for UConn going back over the years, so what's wrong with saying that ND has had some success?
Nothing is the short answer. However the speaker, intention, and audience have to be considered. I have no issue with announcers saying it to hype a game. Muffet being interview by ESPN prior to 2013 national Semi-final game said " We have gotten used to beating UCONN” Skylar said “We have overcome the intimidation factor that they have on a lot of teams”. IMO both speakers, although technically accurate, discounted the audience & the quotes ended up on a bulletin board in the UCONN locker room. The speaker’s intention was to convey confidence in their team. The speakers might have chosen different words if they considered how the words would be perceived by UCONN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
David+and+Goliath+Cartoon.JPG

Less of a compelling story, isn't it?

...and Goliath spoke and he sayth: "I hate when they stickth to thine sandals. Dost anyone haveth a stick?

Reaction Score
Am I correct in that we are 33-11 against ND? Why can't we use that stat? or they won the three in 2013, but we won the Final Four.... so say they won 3 to our 4 that have happened since their three?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The interesting number to me is 7 out of 12 - Uconn has lost 12 games since the start of 2008 season. Notre Dame has 7 of those wins and the rest of the WCBB universe has a total of 5.

That is the really significant number - Uconn has last only 5 games to teams other than ND in 7 seasons! ND of course had the advantage of playing us significantly more than any other team, but it is still significant that they had that run against us when we were still a VERY good team - this was not some streak of games in 2005-7 where we couldn't quite compete at the top, but at a time where we were frequently being ranked #1 and if not then #2 or #3.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Ultimately, only six of the 44 games really matter:

2001 FF Semi, 2011 FF Semi, 2012 FF semi, 2013 FF semi, 2014 NC , 2015 NC.
The games are 3-3, with ND winning the first three, and UConn. Assuming no one could beat 2012 Baylor,, Notre Dame's 2001 and 2011 wins most likely cost UConn 2 more championships. UConn would have beaten (2001)Purdue and (2011) TA&M, just as 2013 ND would have beaten Louisville.

UConn' 3 wins resulted in 3 championships. Notre Dame's three wins netted them their one and only championship.

If you want to add in Big East Finals, I believe UConn was 6-1.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
ND is clearly the team most often ready to challenge UConn. Not to take anything away from them, because they they did win and were responsible for some of UConn's play and had poise when we didn't, but three of those wins were nail biters when UConn yielded late leads. Moreover, while Geno will not use it as an excuse, ND's lone NC happened when we had two veteran AAs injured, but we still could have won that game. The recent UConn string has resulted in double digit wins. Anyway, they will still likely be the best two teams next year with a few other programs perhaps in a position to make some noise at the top.

Reaction Score
ESPN and all the announcers love to talk to us about how many wins Notre Dame has over UCONN. Now that UCONN has won the past four straight games.... going back to the 2013 semi finals.... the 2014 final game... then the two games this year... how much longer are they going to say that Notre Dame has our number or point it out? I mean look at the overall record....

What do you all think?
I think ESPN would be much happier beating the drums for domination by ND in any sport. They torched the Big East because they knew ND would have a soft landing anywhere they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom