Not worried, we're starting a freshman , 3 sophomores and a senior. | The Boneyard

Not worried, we're starting a freshman , 3 sophomores and a senior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Growing pains are to be expected. Having said that, apart from boat we don't have a reliable second ball handler. Purvis might be him but he's no point guard.

On a good note UL is no longer on schedule and we won't play a team like this again. WVU looks like a classic Cincinnati. Good job huggy bear.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Growing pains are to be expected. Having said that, apart from boat we don't have a reliable second ball handler. Purvis might be him but he's no point guard.

On a good note UL is no longer on schedule and we won't play a team like this again. WVU looks like a classic Cincinnati. Good job huggy bear.

as well as your title

Reaction Score
Well I am concerned about our ball handling (guards), handling pressure and 3 point shooting. WVU gave our opponents some intel tonight. Those 3 things are hard for any coach to fix, its a player thing.

Reaction Score
we'll be fine --as much as it sucks to lose
---Purvis got hurt (kid never missed a dunk in his life wtf !!)--we missed every damn foul shot & three we took----take away just one of those & we're right there @ the end.

we just started playing together, next time we see pressure we'll handle it better.

Probably taught us a few things tonight

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Purvis was fine. I don't buy that he got hurt. He looked 100% each time he stepped on the floor. He just had an off night, and the missed dunk set that tempo for him.

Reaction Score
I think ball handling duties should be given to Boat and Dham who needs to stop trying to pass while leaving the floor and we should be ok. Dealing with pressure better will come with experience so those two things dont have me too concerned. What does concern me is our shooting and Purvis shooting and poor decision making. I understand rust but what im seeing out there is poor form and decision making even on simple things.

Reaction Score
Purvis was fine. I don't buy that he got hurt. He looked 100% each time he stepped on the floor. He just had an off night, and the missed dunk set that tempo for him.
No way--even the announcers sitting courtside said something was wrong --- he took himself out right after it happened---went into the locker room.
Damn he was slow out there too .

he got hurt but not too bad....imho

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or for real. I'm guessing it's for real. Wow.

Reaction Score
We actually well out-rebounded them. Definitely was not expecting that; Facey was beasting. Great touch within 5 feet. Hope this shoots his confidence up and they start feeding him in the halfcourt.

I'm sure DHam knows a lot of this loss, despite his great shooting, falls on him. Will be interesting to see how he bounces back.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What???
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or for real. I'm guessing it's for real. Wow.
No way--even the announcers sitting courtside said something was wrong --- he took himself out right after it happened---went into the locker room.
Damn he was slow out there too .

he got hurt but not too bad....imho
Might just have been me, but he looked fine when he was out there. Probably wrong. Even with Purvis we still lose this game though.

Reaction Score
Might just have been me, but he looked fine when he was out there. Probably wrong. Even with Purvis we still lose this game though.
Did you even watch the first half when he was visibly hobbling after the missed dunk and went to the locker room twice?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not probably. You are definitely wrong. This board is painful nowadays. How does someone watch the game and not see purvis was injured? I think some people just post stupid sh it to see what kind of response the can get. I'm mad at myself for taking the bait.

Reaction Score
I wish we had won but i like games like this as its lessons are far more valuable than a win. It showed a lot of our flaws and things we need to work on. I like how this team still had fight in them till the very end on a night the shots were just not falling and boat unexplicably struggled at the free throw stripe. Saw a lot of bad out there but also a lot of good that was very encouraging.

Reaction Score
I agree, this was a loss with value. I thought we played pretty well and that our passing was really good for much of the game. You're going to make TO's against a defense like WV played, especially when you face them this early in the season. Better shooting would have changed everything.

Also, we lost Hamilton for part of the game because his passing was too aggressive, but the rest of his game was terrific.

Reaction Score

He was hurt.

And by the way, on the replay it showed he missed the dunk because the defender clipped him while he was in the air. He landed awkwardly because of that.

I hope it was a small ankle sprain and not a foot situation.

Reaction Score
The loss doesn't worry me much. The following two patterns do:

1. Poor outside shooting. I can see this getting marginally better over the course of the season, but there doesn't seem to be a real solution here. They need Omar to return to his freshman-year form, and for a number of reasons, that's a scary thing to depend on.

2. They're a really poor defensive team in first halfs. It's one thing to start off slow offensively, but considering all the athletic guards at their disposal, they shouldn't be allowing 10-plus-point runs consistently to the likes of Bryant and the College of Charlestown.

I was (and still am) hoping this team could be a poor man's version of the 2013 Louisville team - ie wear you down with relentless pressure all game, then break your back at some point in the second half. But they're miles away from being able to do that.

It's early, though.

Reaction Score
He was hurt.

And by the way, on the replay it showed he missed the dunk because the defender clipped him while he was in the air. He landed awkwardly because of that.

I hope it was a small ankle sprain and not a foot situation.
West Virginia bullied and fouled us the whole night, and the refs let them. Part of that was because the players fouled subtly, like that. Part of it was because they were tapping our players' elbows on shots (hence Boat getting so PO'd when there were no calls).

Reaction Score
TOs and missed open shots (which seemed rushed at times) were the key to our demise yesterday... Plus WVU bullied us around a bit early on... Our team never saw that type of pressure in the front court nor physicality and size... I hope we meet them in the tourney... Will be a different story by then...

Reaction Score
As for Purvis, seen enough of him to realize his game is BETTER if he did way more dribble driving then camping out around the 3 point line or settling for an open perimeter shot... It's just not a pure shot for him.. He's a scorer... a go to the basket type and with his size he needs to start utilizing that more... It'll settle him down for open jump shot...

Reaction Score
As for Purvis, seen enough of him to realize his game is BETTER if he did way more dribble driving then camping out around the 3 point line or settling for an open perimeter shot... It's just not a pure shot for him.. He's a scorer... a go to the basket type and with his size he needs to start utilizing that more... It'll settle him down for open jump shot...
Right, but his injury slowed him enough where he was either uncomfortable attacking, or unable to free himself from his defender.

Reaction Score
He was hurt. Sprained ankle? Anyone hear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom