Not to knock the Duquesne player but.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not to knock the Duquesne player but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Ooops - too late. Your overly-confident Baylor vs. UCONN comments have been forwarded to Shea Ralph. Oh yeah - and they have been slightly embellished and attributed to various Baylor players. Hope you don't mind... :D

Just what I would expect from a UCONN fan. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not saying she shouldn't say UConn is beatable, just pointing out that it didn't work out for USF.

My iPad is acting up and won't let me Paste a link but the was an article on"riling up" UConn after the last USF beatdown.

"We saw (Williams') comments that she made (Sunday) night," Breanna Stewart said. "Any confident player is going to make those comments, but it just adds more fuel to the fire. We were ready to go."

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/3/8/11177164/uconn-new-meaning-defense-wins-championships-ncaaw

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Currently watching the Duquesne vs Seton Hall game in its entirety since I only got to watch a bit of it. Anyone else watch the full game?
I watched a lot of it and they were impressive. Seton hall is a much better team than the team we used to play in the Big E and Duquesne played a smart and good game against them. They shot 48.6% and 42.9 from three and made 20-23 foul shots. They had 14 O-board and out rebounded them by 6. And they scored 97 points in their first ever NCAA game. That is all impressive when facing a decent team in a strange environment with the pressure of win or go home. They start three seniors so have experienced leadership, and they had 19 assists on 34 baskets so they share the ball and run good offense. They also had 10 steals. The one red flag in that game was 15 TOs but they only gave up 14 points on turnovers.

Uconn represents a huge step up in competition, and I doubt there will too much stress involved in watching the game, but Dayton last year sure looked like a push-over, and both DePaul and ND (playing without their posts) showed how difficult a five out offense can be on even a really good defensive team with mobile bigs. Duquesne plays that Euro-style game and recruits European bigs for that reason.

Reaction Score
Their mindset is all wrong. They are going into this game thinking its some kind of Lord of the Rings type quest... relax, its just basketball. The nature of their interviews lead me to believe there will be a lot of fouls. Also, when teams try to play at the speed of light vs UConn they end up eventually getting sloppy on offense and then they are too tired to have any real effect on defense. The track meet game plan usually is counter productive. Remember when we played Ohio State?
Perhaps the real blueprint game for Duquesne with regard to a fast-pace approach is the DePaul game. Bruno employed alternating 5-player teams to keep the pace at high gear. Even Auriemma was quoted as saying to his coaches during the first half, "I just turned around and said, `This is crazy -- this is complete insanity. I can't live like this. We can't play like this." He got the team settled down at halftime and they stopped trying to outrun the Blue Demons and play their offense in the 2nd half. An entertaining game that the Huskies prevailed in by 16 pts. But DePaul did manage to score within range of UConn every quarter and avoid the usual blow-out quarter that ends games early.

Not sure Duquesne has the horses to employ a similar strategy. But I'm sure they want to stay competitive the full 40, and must feel a fast pace suits their style of play.

With regard to the full-court press, Auriemma has been quoted as saying he will use it on occasion, but doesn't feel he has the bench to sustain it for long stretches.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Perhaps the real blueprint game for Duquesne with regard to a fast-pace approach is the DePaul game. Bruno employed alternating 5-player teams to keep the pace at high gear. Even Auriemma was quoted as saying to his coaches during the first half, "I just turned around and said, `This is crazy -- this is complete insanity. I can't live like this. We can't play like this." He got the team settled down at halftime and they stopped trying to outrun the Blue Demons and play their offense in the 2nd half. An entertaining game that the Huskies prevailed in by 16 pts. But DePaul did manage to score within range of UConn every quarter and avoid the usual blow-out quarter that ends games early.

Not sure Duquesne has the horses to employ a similar strategy. But I'm sure they want to stay competitive the full 40, and must feel a fast pace suits their style of play.

With regard to the full-court press, Auriemma has been quoted as saying he will use it on occasion, but doesn't feel he has the bench to sustain it for long stretches.
Unfortunately for Duquesne they aren't DePaul nor do they pass the ball as well as DePaul does. Nor is the Duquesne coach Doug Bruno. I don't think they can go 5 for 5 substitutions like DePaul. I actually don't think anyone in the country can substitute like DePaul. The Dukes were only up 6 points with 5 minutes to play in the 3rd before they went on a run. They also actually didn't look comfortable breaking Seton Halls press. I did think they did well in the half court though. I'm not sure they would want to use a scout video from December either since UConn's defense has improved quite a bit since then. For as much as I heard the Duquesne coach talk about what they are going to do on offense I didn't hear much about what they will do defensively, that should be their main concern since they gave up 76 points to Seton Hall who averages 73 points a game. I would be way more worried about that than anything else since it is unlikely you are just going to outscore UConn.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I watched a lot of it and they were impressive. Seton hall is a much better team than the team we used to play in the Big E and Duquesne played a smart and good game against them. They shot 48.6% and 42.9 from three and made 20-23 foul shots. They had 14 O-board and out rebounded them by 6. And they scored 97 points in their first ever NCAA game. That is all impressive when facing a decent team in a strange environment with the pressure of win or go home. They start three seniors so have experienced leadership, and they had 19 assists on 34 baskets so they share the ball and run good offense. They also had 10 steals. The one red flag in that game was 15 TOs but they only gave up 14 points on turnovers.

Uconn represents a huge step up in competition, and I doubt there will too much stress involved in watching the game, but Dayton last year sure looked like a push-over, and both DePaul and ND (playing without their posts) showed how difficult a five out offense can be on even a really good defensive team with mobile bigs. Duquesne plays that Euro-style game and recruits European bigs for that reason.
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't they ranked @ one point this year? Or was that GW? I feel like one team or a couple of teams in the A-10 were ranked for a week maybe two?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Some bravado is good. You have to have confidence in what you can do and have a game plan to go with it.

However - as many have said before - you really don't understand UCONN's size and speed. You cannot simulate UCONN's defense and pressure not matter how hard you try. If Duquesne really wants to run with UCONN - good luck.

This is tournament time. UCONN goes to another level.
Good point. I just wanted to address the common mantra that "you can't simulate UCONN's defense or pressure", etc. I think you CAN but only if the other team works out with some male practice players. A group of college guys, who played hoops in high school, but who weren't quite good enough for a D1 scholly, would beat UCONN almost every time they played. I would think any school could put together a group of male practice players, who in general, are faster and stronger, than their female counterparts.

I don't know how many schools actually do this, but I would guess it would be very few...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't they ranked @ one point this year? Or was that GW? I feel like one team or a couple of teams in the A-10 were ranked for a week maybe two?
Yep. On Jan 12th Duquesne was ranked 25th, ironically tied with DePaul.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Yep. On Jan 12th Duquesne was ranked 25th, ironically tied with DePaul.
Interesting... so how'd we end up with the only 9 seed that was ranked at any point this year in our bracket? Oh well I hope it's a good game with us winning by at least 30 of course.

Reaction Score
Good point. I just wanted to address the common mantra that "you can't simulate UCONN's defense or pressure", etc. I think you CAN but only if the other team works out with some male practice players. A group of college guys, who played hoops in high school, but who weren't quite good enough for a D1 scholly, would beat UCONN almost every time they played. I would think any school could put together a group of male practice players, who in general, are faster and stronger, than their female counterparts.

I don't know how many schools actually do this, but I would guess it would be very few...

Yesterday in the Duquesne presser the coach mentioned specifically two male practice players 6'4" and 6'3" that have similar skill sets to Stewie and Morgan, which makes him feel they are prepared for what they will experience tonight. Although he didn't mention other practice players with Mo Jeff's skills. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I doubt UConn needs "locker room material" for motivation. They are motivated by goals, not anything a player on another team says. It's why they never play down to the level of a team they know they can beat sleepwalking.
They don't 'need' it, but anyone who's ever been in a locker room, understands that an opponent's remarks always have a habit of making thier way into the discussion.

It is human nature.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting... so how'd we end up with the only 9 seed that was ranked at any point this year in our bracket? Oh well I hope it's a good game with us winning by at least 30 of course.
I am sure the ASU coach is asking how they ended up with the only 7 seed that was ranked #4 at some point during the year!!!! :cool:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
In fairness I did watch the Baylor game last night. They are a big solid basketball team and probably second only to UCONN in the country. Its a shame that they will meet in the first game of the final four and not the championship game. They are better then both Notre Dame and South Carolina.

I'm still not sold on Baylor as a Final Four team based on a big win at this point in the Tourney. But the fact is we will find out very soon where they stand.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I am sure the ASU coach is asking how they ended up with the only 7 seed that was ranked #4 at some point during the year!!!! :cool:
That along with repeatedly asking herself why she did even attempt a zone for even a 4 minute stretch. I would love for them to replay that game and her decide to play zone and see what happens. Since it's not my birthday I don't expect any random wishes to come true but I would certainly pay to see it happen.

Reaction Score
Hey, Workman is correct; UConn can be beaten. Water was even turned into wine once in the last 2000 years. So, if Duquesne played UConn every day for 2000 years, they might win one although I wouldn't bet on it. In any case, I like Workman's attitude, you can't beat me until you do. Good for her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well - we also ended up with a 10 seed Missouri that made it at least up to #20. St John's got an 8 seed and was ranked during the season and of course Northwestern made it as high as #12 before not even making the field so being ranked at some point during the year is not a really good indicator of quality! :eek::)

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Duquesne they aren't DePaul nor do they pass the ball as well as DePaul does. Nor is the Duquesne coach Doug Bruno. I don't think they can go 5 for 5 substitutions like DePaul. I actually don't think anyone in the country can substitute like DePaul. The Dukes were only up 6 points with 5 minutes to play in the 3rd before they went on a run. They also actually didn't look comfortable breaking Seton Halls press. I did think they did well in the half court though. I'm not sure they would want to use a scout video from December either since UConn's defense has improved quite a bit since then. For as much as I heard the Duquesne coach talk about what they are going to do on offense I didn't hear much about what they will do defensively, that should be their main concern since they gave up 76 points to Seton Hall who averages 73 points a game. I would be way more worried about that than anything else since it is unlikely you are just going to outscore UConn.

Don't tell Doug Bruno that DePaul plays like Steph Curry and the Warriors. "Golden State plays like us," said the coach. "I get a kick out of the people who say we play like Golden State," Bruno said. "Golden State plays like us. We don't have Steph Curry. But at the same time we've been playing this way a long, long time."

Reaction Score
Famous Quotes:

Stewie: "We want to make sure that we knock them out from the start, so that they have no thoughts that they can be in this game".

Tootie: "Uhhhh Ohhhh!!!! You're in troubllllle, make that a doubllllle!!!"

;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
They don't 'need' it, but anyone who's ever been in a locker room, understands that an opponent's remarks always have a habit of making thier way into the discussion.

It is human nature.
My point is, some teams might need that extra motivation. Not this one. I'd hate to be an opponent facing this UConn team if they were somehow more motivated than they are to begin with.

Reaction Score
I understand a new banner at Gampel that should help Duquense

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Reaction Score
I'm still not sold on Baylor as a Final Four team based on a big win at this point in the Tourney. But the fact is we will find out very soon where they stand.

We will have to agree to disagree; Baylor is one of the best teams I've seen this year. They are very big and very talented and will be a very tough out for anyone including UCONN.

Reaction Score
What is she supposed to say? Many players have expressed the same sentiment over the years, some of it false bravado, some actually believed what they said at the time. I don't know anything about Duquense BB or the young lady that made the statement. What I do know is that actually being on the court against the UConn machine is something she has yet to experience and something she isn't prepared for, she can't be because what UConn does can't be replicated by anyone else. She will learn as have many others that playing against UConn is much different than talking about playing against UConn.

Say you believe in your team, but don't say that UConn can be beat. Courtney Williams has said that once in each of the last two years, and it hasn't worked out.

Reaction Score
I doubt UConn needs "locker room material" for motivation. They are motivated by goals, not anything a player on another team says.
UConn is like one armed waiters: They can take it, but they don't dish it out.:)

Reaction Score
Oxymoron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle