Not just Lou: bodes well for now & the future | The Boneyard

Not just Lou: bodes well for now & the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller:
Katie Lou Samuelson joined Jamelle Elliott and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis as the only freshmen in UConn history with at least 20 points in their NCAA debut. Samuelson finished with 22 points, one more than Jamelle Elliott had against Louisville in 1993 and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis had against Prairie View in 2012.

Samuelson and classmate Napheesa Collier, who had 14 points, combined for the most points in program history by freshmen in their NCAA tournament debut, but the Huskies’ veterans also had a major role in the dominating performance.
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20160319/uconn-women-crush-robert-morris-in-ncaa-opener

I know that Gino is being public about how impressed he's recently been about Napheesa.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
First NCAA tourney game. Career high 22 points. Nice combination. Lou is a big-time player.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here is UConn's dilemma for next year. If (as many here including me expect assuming a Tuck-less year), the starting lineup is Buter / Collier / Samuelson / Williams / Nurse, then (based on presently demonstrated skills), 3 of those 5 players cannot reliably make shots from more than about 10 feet from the basket. If that is really true, then Geno will not be able to spread the floor on offense, which will make things much more difficult at the offensive end.

Now if either Napheesa or Gabby (or ideally both of them) could develop greater range on their jump shot, at least to the point where they would have to be guarded at a greater distance from the basket, that would open up the offense very significantly.

If that doesn't happen, then Geno will probably have no choice except to have either Saniya or Crystal in the lineup for a lot of minutes, just to add a credible shooting threat and open up the floor. But that would surely come at a cost in defensive effectiveness, rebounding, and/or errors due to inexperience.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Napheesa could shoot 3's in h.s.

she can shoot them now ( another example on Sat - Geno has talked about it ). simply not a part of her role when she gets minutes this year

I fully expect shooting 3's will be a part of her production next year

Reaction Score
Here is UConn's dilemma for next year. If (as many here including me expect assuming a Tuck-less year), the starting lineup is Buter / Collier / Samuelson / Williams / Nurse, then (based on presently demonstrated skills), 3 of those 5 players cannot reliably make shots from more than about 10 feet from the basket. If that is really true, then Geno will not be able to spread the floor on offense, which will make things much more difficult at the offensive end

Gabby has developed a nice shot from the elbow this year, which is a step up from what she had her freshman year. That and her improved free throw shooting have helped round her out a bit. In an ideal world I would like to see her extend that even further next year; Dolson-like range would be nice.

Napheesa already has the potential to hit from long range, based on what she did in high school plus a few glimpses in college. I think that she might be skilled enough to hit at something like Morgan Tuck efficiency, IMO. Which would mean that you wouldn't want her taking a ton of them, but she can shoot them from time to time to help keep the defense honest.

Even Butler has shown a bit of range to the foul line, especially in her earlier games this season. But a player can only improve so many things at a time, and I'd rather see her improve her interior game for now.

Reaction Score
I am a huge fan of Lou but I think one of the reason she is finding easier to score now that she is more comfortable is because of the big 3's proficiency. Without that consistent inside threat I think Lou will find that it won't be as easy to get open shot or layup next year, especially if another outside threat does not step up.

Reaction Score
I am a huge fan of Lou but I think one of the reason she is finding easier to score now that she is more comfortable is because of the big 3's proficiency. Without that consistent inside threat I think Lou will find that it won't be as easy to get open shot or layup next year, especially if another outside threat does not step up.

I don't agree with this at all. KLS is 6'3 - not many tall players can be in a player's face - really up in them for 40 minutes. KLS is too tall unlike KML who was only 5'10. In addition she has a very quick release. In addition from 2 point range she takes jump shots. In addition when a Butler or Irwin is the game they'll set picks. Going to have to be some very unique teams that have a center or very, very quick team with size on the perimeter that can get in KLS's face to prevent the shot.

In addition whenever a miss - UCONN will still have 4 players that can fastbreak or get open shots before the defense sets. Not to mention - but I will- the very good guard play especially when Danger becomes more acclimated. Two very good guards in Danger and Nurse.

Anyhow, to prevent KLS from shooting, you need to be very quick at different positions and defend her with size. Her opponents aren't WNBA opponents.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
I will be interested to see how Geno uses Lou on defense next year against the better teams. Will she guard A'ja Wilson? Brianna Turner? Nina Davis? Kia Gillespie? I would think so -- who else is going to do those jobs?

If there ever is a Tennessee game, will she guard Diamond Deshields?

Next question: How successful will she be?

If she is even moderately successful (holds those players under their average without getting into foul trouble), UConn has an excellent chance to win all of those games. But that would be a near-miracle, considering her, umm, undistinguished defensive skills when she entered the program.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. KLS is 6'3 - not many tall players can be in a player's face - really up in them for 40 minutes. KLS is too tall unlike KML who was only 5'10. In addition she has a very quick release. In addition from 2 point range she takes jump shots. In addition when a Butler or Irwin is the game they'll set picks. Going to have to be some very unique teams that have a center or very, very quick team with size on the perimeter that can get in KLS's face to prevent the shot.

In addition whenever a miss - UCONN will still have 4 players that can fastbreak or get open shots before the defense sets. Not to mention - but I will- the very good guard play especially when Danger becomes more acclimated. Two very good guards in Danger and Nurse.

Anyhow, to prevent KLS from shooting, you need to be very quick at different positions and defend her with size. Her opponents aren't WNBA opponents.

I did not say she won't be able to shoot, just not as easy as it has been in the last month couple months, which has been at a prolific rate since the opponent has to guard people like Stewie and Tuck on the inside.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

In addition whenever a miss - UCONN will still have 4 players that can fastbreak or get open shots before the defense sets. Not to mention - but I will- the very good guard play especially when Danger becomes more acclimated. Two very good guards in Danger and Nurse. Anyhow, to prevent KLS from shooting, you need to be very quick at different positions and defend her with size. Her opponents aren't WNBA opponents.
6'3" and a quick release is not going to help her next year when she is the only credible offensive threat or more importantly don't have teammates that can get her quality passes like the cross court skip passes that Morgan or Stewie throw to her at least once (each) per game. Ever notice that those looks for KLS disappear when Morgan or Stewie are not on the floor.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
6'3" and a quick release is not going to help her next year when she is the only credible offensive threat or more importantly don't have teammates that can get her quality passes like the cross court skip passes that Morgan or Stewie throw to her at least once (each) per game. Ever notice that those looks for KLS disappear when Morgan or Stewie are not on the floor.
She played in HS as the only offensive threat on her team and did OK, and she has played USA basketball as the leading scorer for a team and did OK. And somehow, with Gabby, Kia, Napheesa, and whoever else is getting serious minutes I don't think she will be the only offensive threat on Uconn next year

JoePgh

Reaction Score
She played in HS as the only offensive threat on her team and did OK, and she has played USA basketball as the leading scorer for a team and did OK. And somehow, with Gabby, Kia, Napheesa, and whoever else is getting serious minutes I don't think she will be the only offensive threat on Uconn next year
It is true that she will be the MAJOR offensive threat, and opponents' game plans will be to "take away Lou".

BUT ... Who says Kia Nurse can't make good passes? (Really, now ...) And Napheesa / Gabby / Natalie / Saniya have all shown some passing flair on the few occasions when it has been needed. And I think Crystal Dangerfield (my preferred name for her) will soon get the message that her minutes on the floor will be directly proportional to her ability to feed Lou for an open shot.

AND ALSO ... Lou has some of the same ability as Stewie (no, not to the same level) to move around and get open and take advantage of screens. This year, her role is to hold a defender at the perimeter, and make the defense pay when that defender helps off of her to stop one of the seniors. Next year, her teammates' job will be to get HER open through screens and by shooting well enough to hold their own defenders in place. If Lou moves around the court to take advantage of her ability to shoot accurately from almost anywhere, she will get plenty of good looks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Only "credible" offensive threat as in the one opposing defenses will be geared up to stop. The Big three (Morgan, Stewie & Moriah) will all depart with FG% that are higher than what KLS is currently shooting. The other starter Kia is shooting 44% to KLS 49%. Next year will not be a scenario where you have to pick your poison among UCONN shooters because, as has already been pointed out, ALL the potential replacements as starters ( Gabby and Natalie especially) have limited range and that is compounded by the gaudy assists numbers of the departing Big three.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:)
Not so fast! Geno was pretty upbeat about next year in a recent talk. His remarks start at about minute 30, and I can't remember when precisely he begins to discuss Gabby and next year:
http://ct-n.com/ctnplayer.asp?odID=12602
Fair enough but has Geno EVER been downbeat about a team? Give it some time, at least until the second practice this fall.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Only "credible" offensive threat as in the one opposing defenses will be geared up to stop. The Big three (Morgan, Stewie & Moriah) will all depart with FG% that are higher than what KLS is currently shooting. The other starter Kia is shooting 44% to KLS 49%. Next year will not be a scenario where you have to pick your poison among UCONN shooters because, as has already been pointed out, ALL the potential replacements as starters ( Gabby and Natalie especially) have limited range and that is compounded by the gaudy assists numbers of the departing Big three.
Let's see:
Freshman Jefferson shot .424/.266 scored 4.7 ppg, and had 69 assists and 49 TOs to go with 52 steals in 17 minutes
Freshman Stewart shot .508/.333 scored 13.8 ppg, and had 35 assists and 54 TOs and 41 steals in 24 minutes
Freshman Tuck shot .454/.289 scored 6.4 ppg, and had 47 assists 43 TOs and 19 steals in 15.8 minutes
They combined for 11.4 rebounds per game and 85 blocks
They turned out pretty good.
Freshman Samuelson is shooting .492/.394 scoring 11.2 ppg with 76 assists, 41 TOs and 36 steals in 23 minutes
Freshman Collier is shooting .529/.222 scoring 6.7 ppg with 30 assist 36 TOs and 46 steals in 18 minutes
First Year Butler is shooting .573/--- scoring 6.4 ppg with 20 assist 30 TOs and 19 steals in 13.4 minutes
They combine for 12.4 rebounds per game and 66 blocks
Hopefully they too turn out pretty good.

With Gabby who has led the team in FG percentage the last two years in the .640 range likely to see more playing time and continue to develop her jump shot and Nurse who will have another busy summer playing international competition at the Olympics both becoming more important to the team, I am not seeing that huge problem. Nurse shoots the three better than Stewart has up until this year, Collier I suspect will be a similar 3 point shooter to Tuck who is around .300 for her career and Chong is also a good three point shooter. If Natalie plays a significant amount she will reestablish the Dolson high post position in the Uconn offense - she has a very good mid range shot, but has spent most of the last two months anchored down low when playing with the bench.

Next year's team is going to look a lot different, and without Stewart, the walking mismatch, it will have a very different offensive and defensive look. It will likely not be as good a team (duh) but it will be a diverse team with multiple scoring options.

Reaction Score
It really seems premature to start a discussion on next year just one game in to the NCAAs yet ....

I think the core group next year is Phee, Gabby, Lou and Kia. Saniya, Courtney, Crystal, Molly, Kyla will get plenty of minutes

Kia is a good offensive threat - see her Canadian exploits last summer - and I expect that will be more on display once the big three leave.

Gabby made great strides from Freshman to Soph year; there is no reason to believe she won't improve even more Soph to Junior year - she has been absolutely deadly from midrange. And she can play guard if needs be.

That fifth spot is the more troubling, they need a post presence ..... by far the majority of the posters on this board were convinced Natalie would be the starter this year based only on her Georgetown stats ... that didn't work out. With her soft hands - thumb injury? - and her seemingly bad fit for the current offensive defensive scheme I think you may see a lot of Kyla early and often. Natalie is a good player I just don't know if she is a fit for whatever offense Geno comes up with next year

Reaction Score
I suspect all our future talk is to deflect, now that we're in the home stretch of the season, from our sadness (so few games left for the incredible seniors) and our jitters (can we/will we win this???). But I want to put in a big word of support for Kyla's potential contribution next year. And if Gabby continues to improve (what Geno says on that tape), Napheesa plays like last game, Lou hits the boards harder, Kia continues to hit her shots, Natalie gets more comfortable, and Crystal works her way in, well (I know, I know, if, if, if...as the old saying goes, if the Queen had testacles, she'd be the King), we could be pretty darn good.

Cajun: we posted almost the same thing almost simultaneously!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's see:
Freshman Jefferson shot .424/.266 scored 4.7 ppg, and had 69 assists and 49 TOs to go with 52 steals in 17 minutes
Freshman Stewart shot .508/.333 scored 13.8 ppg, and had 35 assists and 54 TOs and 41 steals in 24 minutes
Freshman Tuck shot .454/.289 scored 6.4 ppg, and had 47 assists 43 TOs and 19 steals in 15.8 minutes
They combined for 11.4 rebounds per game and 85 blocks
They turned out pretty good.
Freshman Samuelson is shooting .492/.394 scoring 11.2 ppg with 76 assists, 41 TOs and 36 steals in 23 minutes
Freshman Collier is shooting .529/.222 scoring 6.7 ppg with 30 assist 36 TOs and 46 steals in 18 minutes
First Year Butler is shooting .573/--- scoring 6.4 ppg with 20 assist 30 TOs and 19 steals in 13.4 minutes
They combine for 12.4 rebounds per game and 66 blocks
Hopefully they too turn out pretty good.

With Gabby who has led the team in FG percentage the last two years in the .640 range likely to see more playing time and continue to develop her jump shot and Nurse who will have another busy summer playing international competition at the Olympics both becoming more important to the team, I am not seeing that huge problem. Nurse shoots the three better than Stewart has up until this year, Collier I suspect will be a similar 3 point shooter to Tuck who is around .300 for her career and Chong is also a good three point shooter. If Natalie plays a significant amount she will reestablish the Dolson high post position in the Uconn offense - she has a very good mid range shot, but has spent most of the last two months anchored down low when playing with the bench.

Next year's team is going to look a lot different, and without Stewart, the walking mismatch, it will have a very different offensive and defensive look. It will likely not be as good a team (duh) but it will be a diverse team with multiple scoring options.
Not sure what Jefferson & Stewart Tuck's Freshmen numbers have to do with this thread but I like your closing sentence. Try this: Next year team will be different ("likely not as good") (duh). Specific to KLS: IMO she will become UCONN's primary scoring option next year. Because of the incredible amount of talent departing UCONN, KLS will find it harder to score next year than she does this year- (duh X 100).

Reaction Score
Not sure what Jefferson & Stewart Tuck's Freshmen numbers have to do with this thread but I like your closing sentence. Try this: Next year team will be different ("likely not as good") (duh). Specific to KLS: IMO she will become UCONN's primary scoring option next year. Because of the incredible amount of talent departing UCONN, KLS will find it harder to score next year than she does this year- (duh X 100).
But she will also be a year older and a lot more confident. that mid-range jumper coming off the fake of the 3 is going to be her bread and butter. She's hitting about 70% of those. And, it's obvious from some of her (not always successful) drives in recent games that she's being encouraged to begin expanding her repertoire.

Reaction Score
I am so glad Lou came to UCONN. She is getting the right coaching and playing at a level that her sisters will or never achieved. Karlie performs as her sister Bonnie did at Stanford. They "play" the corner on offense and maybe get a three point opportunity. Lou is moving in Geno's offense and is getting opportunities to score everywhere. I bet Lou shoots more foul shots than Karlie.
Surely, next year, Lou will continue to be on the move.

Reaction Score
I am so glad Lou came to UCONN. She is getting the right coaching and playing at a level that her sisters will or never achieved. Karlie performs as her sister Bonnie did at Stanford. They "play" the corner on offense and maybe get a three point opportunity. Lou is moving in Geno's offense and is getting opportunities to score everywhere. I bet Lou shoots more foul shots than Karlie.
Surely, next year, Lou will continue to be on the move.
Teams don't get up on Stewie when she's outside, because of her ability to drive. KLS has already shown that if you pressure her, she'll put the ball on the floor, and drive. KLS might not be Stewie, but offensively she is still a mis-match for any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom