OT: - Not a quiz, but for fun - Name a place not pronounced the way it looks | The Boneyard

OT: Not a quiz, but for fun - Name a place not pronounced the way it looks

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Thought it might get folks thinking - idea came to me today, as I live in Tucson, which certainly fits the question. Someone on the phone checking an address called it Tuck-son.

So any other candidates (yes, I do know a few more). Also places pronounced 2 different ways would fit the bill as well.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Thought it might get folks thinking - idea came to me today, as I live in Tucson, which certainly fits the question. Someone on the phone checking an address called it Tuck-son.

So any other candidates (yes, I do know a few more). Also places pronounced 2 different ways would fit the bill as well.
Pend Oreille
Oregon
Coeur d'Alene

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I live in Helena, Al. Here it is pronounced Hell ee nah. Not far from here is a town named Arab. Here it is pronounced A-rab with a long A. Near where I worked a job in Pittsburgh, Pa is a town named North Versailles. There it is pronounced Ver sales. There are just so many out there!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
We lived in Missouri for a number of years. In Missouri there is a town named Nevada but it was pronounced Nē-vā-dah. Another is Cairo pronounced as Kā-rōw. Last but not least is New Madrid pronounced as New MAD-rid as in the New MAD-rid fault. But what can you expect when the citizens of the state can't agree on the correct pronunciation of the state's name. The citizens in and around Saint Louis pronounce it as Missouree while the folks in and around Kansas City and some out state rural communities pronounce it a Missourah. By the way the name Missouri means "people of the big canoes." Oh! Mrs. SVC just reminded me that in Missouri the word sundae is pronounced sun-dah.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wicomico County, MD (wye KAHM a koh)

When my wife and I visited Ireland a couple of decades ago, we visited O'Carolan's grave, which is in a town called Keadue or Keadew. They can't agree on the spelling, even in the town. In normal Irish pronunciation, it would be said KAY doo. My friends in Dublin pronounced it that way. But the locals pronounce it KEY jew.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
But what can you expect when the citizens of the state can't agree on the correct pronunciation of the state's name. The citizens in and around Saint Louis pronounce it as Missouree while the folks in and around Kansas City and some out state rural communities pronounce it a Missourah. By the way the name Missouri means "people of the big canoes."
I was composing my post about the disagreement about pronunciation of the name of a tiny town when you posted. I visited Rolla a few years ago. When the rental car clerk at the Saint Louis airport asked me where I was headed, I said, "Roll-a." She'd never heard of it. When I said it was down 64, where the University is, she said, "Oh, you mean Rahl-a."

There were a lot of country boys at the company I was visiting (I told my host I was a country boy, so she made sure I spent a lot of time with them.) They said the dividing line between Missouree and Missourah was the river. Silly me, I said, "It's all west of the river," thinking of the Mississippi. It was the Missouri (no preferred pronunciation) river they were talking about.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Peabody MA (PEE-bdy)
Quincy MA (QUIN-zee)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kalaloch on the Washington coast. Pronounced like Clay-lock (I think). There are a ton of place names in the NW that are native words that don't sound like they look.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom