Not a fan of the uniforms | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not a fan of the uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
About uniforms, a few years ago it was a very big deal when UConn was among the very first teams selected to have a special design woven into the back of home uniforms. IIRC, the pattern commemorated the championships won, something like that. This practice has continued and I wish at some point we could have been shown a closeup of current jerseys with some explanation of the woven pattern.

Anyone have better info? Please speak up. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
About uniforms, a few years ago it was a very big deal when UConn was among the very first teams selected to have a special design woven into the back of home uniforms. IIRC, the pattern commemorated the championships won, something like that. This practice has continued and I wish at some point we could have been shown a closeup of current jerseys with some explanation of the woven pattern.

Anyone have better info? Please speak up. :)
Here are a couple of links from last season:
http://articles.courant.com/2012-01...5_1_new-uniforms-uconn-women-uconn-and-baylor
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basket...forms-photos-syracuse-duke-uconn-unc-kentucky

I think the old one with the woven pattern were unveiled after the 7th championship - had Jonathan, and stars representing championships. I didn't see any pattern woven into the ones last night. The woven ones were first available to only two teams - Uconn and the USA National team.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
It's Nike...they have a grey uniform for every team in some way, shape, or form.

Tennessee's is almost charcoal looking.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
"You can call a cow a horse, but it's still a cow."

Nike can describe these damned new 98% recycled polyester uniforms an elegant shade of "platinum." But what I saw on our Huskies last night was an ugly shade of "inmates' grey." :mad:

Reaction Score
I absolutely love the dark grey. I always thought the lighter grey ones looked a little dirty!

Reaction Score
I detest the new uniforms as much as I detest the new Husky logo.

I have yet to purchase any merchandise with that damned mutt on it and I doubt if I ever will.

Reaction Score
I fervently hope for two things:

1. This is a one-time showing and
2. There isn't a movement at UConn to be sure all teams have to wear unis as ugly as the football team's

View attachment 10985

Wouldn't have looked so bad if Lubbock hadn't worn blue. The two-team combination was ugly. Wonder how much is about superstition?

Reaction Score
I absolutely love the dark grey. I always thought the lighter grey ones looked a little dirty!

You may love the dark grey, but it is not one of the school colors. Let's stick with blue and white. You can accent with red and grey.

Reaction Score

2. There isn't a movement at UConn to be sure all teams have to wear unis as ugly as the football team's

View attachment 10985
they were especially bad on TV...the lack of contrast between the gray and the LCU blue uniforms didn't work...even on our 73" HD set.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Victory again for the white and blue! Not a fan of the grey either, but how we play wearing them is more important. By the way, our actual color is not "national flag" blue, despite what was echoed on both the men's exhibition broadcast yesterday, and the women's exhibition broadcast today. It's navy blue, Pantone #289, not 281 or 282.
See http://brand.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1060/2015/01/UCONN-Color-Guidelines1.pdf. For a longer explanation, see my post on the men's board from several months ago.
Nope, our colors are National Flag Blue and white. The rebranding is a marketing decision as to what colors are going to be used on the uniform for marketing/branding but the school's colors remain the same. Over the years there have been a lot of variation over which blue to use, but the only "official" determination of which I am aware was a 1952 Board of Trustees meeting in which National Flag Blue was adopted. Agree 100% with you that Pantone 289 (navy blue) was most often used in team uniforms, though there seems to be a drift to a lighter shade lately.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But if you look at uniforms as whole in sports, these colors are what are 'in' right now. Tenessee men seemed to have adopted this dark grey as well. Colors are very bold right now and this, to me, is what NIKE is doing now with these gray uniforms. Look at this from a recruiting prospective as well. A 15-18 year old kid will look at this type of thing in determining a school. I think they're great. NIKE has obviously done their homework with something like this and I believe that UCONN, Baylor and now probably Tennessee are their design schools for WCBB. I love them.

Reaction Score

View attachment 10985
This seems to be the thing today. The local teams in Pa. have been wearing gray.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't mind "the look" of the unis so much as how they shoot/play when they are in grey/silver/platinum. That's were the problem lies.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Georgetown is gray.............Uconn is blue+white!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yep... those uniforms arent attractive at all.

And before someone makes a smart comment about Duke uniforms... I went to the Blue-white scrimmage a few weeks ago... and I dont like our new uniforms either :oops: I wish Nike would have consulted with me first

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Gino is "trying to survive?"
no, the athletic dept... free money for some uniforms, I wouldnt care if they were "orange" long as it helps the bottom line of the program.

BTW who is Gino?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It seems there is always someone that feels the need to improve on perfection. I agree with many other posters that have expressed their opinion about the gray uniforms. Some folks have no idea what looks good and what's ugly.

For instance NFL teams: (ugly) The Tampa Bay Buccaneers current uniforms, they're the worst in the league. The Tennessee Titans, The Jacksonville Jaguars, The Pittsburgh Steeler's "bumble bee" throw back uni's. The Seattle Seahawks. I'm a Seahawk fan, but I do not like their current uniforms.

Good looking uniforms: The Rams uni's of the 80's (Blue & Yellow), The latest Houston Oilers uni's before they moved to Tennessee. The Dallas Cowboys with their dark blue tops with the stars on the shoulders. They only wear these tops on special occasions. The Dolphins, The old Boston Patriots red - white & blue uni's with the original logo.

My favorite: The San Diego Chargers powder blue tops of the 80's (the "air Coryell" years '78-'86). I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wonder who thinks up these ugly combinations, and who approves them? Probably someone that went to 4 years of fashion and design school.

I too like the uniforms the girls wore last year. Sometimes old is better! :)

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is the new Nike line of team colors - where all the team colors are relegated to minor trim and the main color is some variation of 'platinum' - in other words grey. If I remember correctly for some teams the team color was just axed completely or so minimally used it is hard to find. They were unveiled last winter I think and supposedly all new space age materials and a great honor to be one of the ten or so colleges on the cutting edge of uniform design! But as others have said, it might be an 'honor' best passed on to someone else. Definitely prefer more traditional colors and the home whites!
Yeah, Nike and Under Armor are in a contest to compete for the most unrecognizable school uniforms. Between schools having gray hoops uniforms and many major football programs having some type of black hole unis it is ridiculous. I couldn't even tell I was watching Nebraska football the other day until I, finally, saw a tiny red N on the side of the black helmets and black unis. Ugh! This is a horrible trend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without a doubt, the general consensus is that the new gray unis MUST go. I understand that this is a sport and that the girls work hard, but I don't think they want us watching them sweat through their uniforms.

UConn colors are Blue and White, with maybe with a bit of Red in the piping. If Nike decided to make their next "special" uniforms Orange, would we wear those?

Reaction Score
Without a doubt, the general consensus is that the new gray unis MUST go. I understand that this is a sport and that the girls work hard, but I don't think they want us watching them sweat through their uniforms.

UConn colors are Blue and White, with maybe with a bit of Red in the piping. If Nike decided to make their next "special" uniforms Orange, would we wear those?

If Nike paid enough, yes I'm afraid they would wear them :(

Reaction Score
This is for all you computer geniuses out there. If you come up with an app that will overlay the old uniforms over these ugly ones I will be first on the list to buy it. Let me know. ;)

Reaction Score
The grey uniforms need to go into the uniform morgue with the silver ones. OTOH, that stylish (and a tad fierce) logo of The UConn Husky looks better every time I see it. GRRR!

Since my "fashion" tastes has been explained as all within my mouth. I am reluctant to comment. But There is nothing wrong with any one any time that wears a combination of Red White Blue. My uncle wears those colors all the time. The old time Almost pure White, with Blue letters and red trim--is just great. My Uncle has worn his colors for nearly 200 some years and don't expect him to ever change.

Sempi Fi Marines---you have a birthday coming up.

I was in Tenn this past weekend and at a market they had dogs for sale---one looked exactly like the new Jonathan. A lady picked him up and I said you know he looks like the Uconn Logo--she said "yea, but he's a nice dog anyway". It took me a while but I now like the new logo.

Reaction Score
I wasn't a fan of the new uniforms because of the blue numbers were hard to see! White #'s on the grey might be better! I like the tradition white red & blue!
I hate the new scoreboards at the XL Center! I don't want the TV screen I want bigger names and numbers and stats!
And I agree the excess music sucks big-time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom