Northwestern Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Northwestern Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Conventional wisdom would say Castle draws the Bouie assignment.

But then does that put Newton on Barhizer and Karaban on Martinelli?

That should be a good match-up for Karaban, but the Newton match-up concerns me.

I wonder if they would try Newton on Bouie and Castle on Barnhizer…
I'm sure Hurley will have a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C for the defensive assignments.

Reaction Score
Well, among others they can claim Jerry Springer and Meghan Markle as alumni.
I believe they can claim Michael Wilbon and JA Adande for sports journalism. A lot of the Today show reporters are grads also

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Someone who's opinion I respect sees a tough game here, I'm trying but I just don't.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They’re a bunch of Temu Karabans and Spencers .

The kid that looks like a young Jerry Seinfeld kinda concerns me.

Buie is obviously an issue but Hassan and Castle and maybe a little Solo should keep him from getting too many good looks. I expect he guards Newton on the other end and maybe we can get him in foul trouble.

I think we see the standard script for games vs teams of this level (SJU, Butler, Nova). Semi close within 8-12 points. We go on a run to get it to 20 then a drought to win by 9

UConn 81
NW 72

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Their drama program was like a who's who from Hollywood. Far too many to name but among others:

Charlton Heston, Jennifer Jones, Tony Randall, Cloris Leachman, Patricia Neal, McLean Stevenson and hundreds of others who were famous, somewhat famous or little known in moves, television and theater.
Ann Margaret went there. Not sure if she graduated.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Someone whose opinion I respect sees a tough game here, I'm trying but I just don't.
It certainly could be tough. They have some players we need to minimize, but vice versa. I think they have more to deal with than we do, but the games aren’t played on paper. As usual, if Clingan avoids foul trouble, they should have trouble scoring inside and are missing their best big I believe.

Reaction Score
Huskies to cover by a lot. Feeling a strong performance coming from the Champs. If we hit 3s, this could be a route
I feel like we either:
A) blitz them from the outset, they hit some shots late, but it's played at a 20 point margin and we win like 85-65 after being up 48-30 at half, or
B) struggle with our shot and grind out a 10 point win where we're not really threatened, but not dominant either

Reaction Score
Keep Langborg/Buie from living on the three point line. Wear Buie out with fresh legs on D. Control the Boards and try to get them in foul trouble.

Our depth and explosive offensive spurtability should wear them down in second half.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Northwestern is great at the Big Equalizer, the 3-point shot. For that alone, they should be taken very seriously.

That said, this game will give Hurley a chance to fixate on the importance of staying connected on defense and playing hard until the end of the shot clock. He lives for that stuff.

Reaction Score
My son too. You never heard of him but the entertainment industry has. Lots of celebs. Julia Louis Dreyfus, Warren Beatty, Steven Colbert, Hugh Hefner among many. Not so famous for their hoops.
Julia Louis's son, Charlie Hall, played for NW through 2018-2019

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Buie and Langborg could give us problems, but they will get tired chasing our offense and our length will disrupt their offense.

Reaction Score
This is the Murray scout game. Should be interesting to see how the offense operates.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’d love to see a 20 point win, but I’m anticipating that the game may be competitive. This team without the 2 injured starters just beat an FAU that was in last years Final Four. They can shoot the three, and they have a stud performer. If we are on our game on both ends we should be fine, but have to defend the three.

Reaction Score
They have no depth. I think we wear them down on the offensive end with all of our motion. Rotate guys on Buie. And ATTACK him on defense. He knows he can't get in foul trouble.

Would NW play zone for long stretches and hope we get cold from 3?

They will have to roll the dice somewhere.

Reaction Score
Would NW play zone for long stretches and hope we get cold from 3?

They will have to roll the dice somewhere.
Somebody will figure out that this is what you have to do. You're not going to slow down our cutting and screening against a man defense, but that stuff isn't as effective as a zone, and in that case you're just counting on one thing to go wrong for us (bad outside shooting). Not impossible at all to find Karaban 2-8, Spencer 2-7, Newton 1-6 in the same game. Unlikely, but possible.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Somebody will figure out that this is what you have to do. You're not going to slow down our cutting and screening against a man defense, but that stuff isn't as effective as a zone, and in that case you're just counting on one thing to go wrong for us (bad outside shooting). Not impossible at all to find Karaban 2-8, Spencer 2-7, Newton 1-6 in the same game. Unlikely, but possible.
Doom-1.gif

Reaction Score
Also they will be shooting over taller players-cant tell you how many times this year someone is shooting over Cling Kong and I say "nope" as its leaving their hands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom