North Carolina State | The Boneyard

North Carolina State

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
coached by Wes Moore (formerly Chatanooga) handily defeats #12, LSU, 89-79.

State is now 11-1 with the ACC juggernaut still to come.

Be interesting to see how many of the big-time conference programs they will be competitive with.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just as interesting, #12 LSU lost. I really believe that the SEC is really weak this year and Tennessee is clearly the cream of that crop.

South Carolina only won by 9 against Winthorp in a game that was only 4 points with 3 minutes left.

Reaction Score
55 fouls called, and 4 players fouled out. The quick whistle this year is getting ridiculous.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

"The SEC has five teams in the Top 25, three ranked in the top 10: No. 3 Tennessee, No. 5 Kentucky and No. 10 South Carolina. No. 12 LSU and No. 16 Georgia are the other SEC teams in the Top 25.

South Carolina lost to UNC and was challenged by Winthorp, LSU lost to NCST, Georgia will lose to Rutgers, Kentucky will lose to Duke and Tennessee will lose to Stanford.

Talk about a Sports Illustrated jinx.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
NC State fan here. Nice to see we're showing up on other fans' radars. One thing to know about this team: This is a very experienced team with six seniors who have been competitive with UNCcheat and Duke the past few years and even have beaten those teams (eg Duke in 2012 ACC tourney) or had late leads on them before folding in the final minutes (last season's loss to UNCcheat). I'm optimistic, but I think this team is going to continue to pull some surprises.

Coach Moore is a hell of a coach, and the players have bought into his system.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
NC State fan here. Nice to see we're showing up on other fans' radars. One thing to know about this team: This is a very experienced team with six seniors who have been competitive with UNCcheat and Duke the past few years and even have beaten those teams (eg Duke in 2012 ACC tourney) or had late leads on them before folding in the final minutes (last season's loss to UNCcheat). I'm optimistic, but I think this team is going to continue to pull some surprises.

Stick around awhile! Welcome to the best WCBB forum.
And thanks for the info - not a team that I have followed, but definitely a good win tonight. We like getting news and perspective from other schools.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Some of us here are looking for anyone that will give us a game, so we're sniffing around, turning rocks over and hoping some good coaching eventually brings a bit of parity.

Welcome aboard.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
"The SEC has five teams in the Top 25, three ranked in the top 10: No. 3 Tennessee, No. 5 Kentucky and No. 10 South Carolina. No. 12 LSU and No. 16 Georgia are the other SEC teams in the Top 25.

South Carolina lost to UNC and was challenged by Winthorp, LSU lost to NCST, Georgia will lose to Rutgers, Kentucky will lose to Duke and Tennessee will lose to Stanford.

You may be right- but I am not so sure about the Tenn Stamford game. Tara though could be the wild card- she can probably out coach what usually appears to be an undisciplined Tenn team. But I have a feeling that Tenn will be in the Final Four this year. And I think KY might make it interesting with Duke. They seam to play with more heart. But they may not have the horses or the depth to compete for 40 minutes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I thought Kelly Jolly Harper was a pretty decent coach. Do you see Moore as a major upgrade? It sounds like it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
55 fouls called, and 4 players fouled out. The quick whistle this year is getting ridiculous.
The bigger issue is it isn't consistent in its inconsistency.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I thought Kelly Jolly Harper was a pretty decent coach. Do you see Moore as a major upgrade? It sounds like it.
Moore is a first rate coach. It was his Chattanooga team that upset Rutgers in the 1st round, in Chattanooga, some years ago. With a little help from the refs, I admit.

His teams were consistently leaders of the SoCon, much like ODU was for years in the CAA. It didn't look like he wanted to go anywhere, and he is not young by any means, but apparently he was an assistant for Kay Yow at one time, so the appeal of NC State was obvious.

I think Harper was a good coach, but she really didn't have great success, for whatever reason. I see she is still coaching, I forget where.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score

Are you saying that without the Sports Illustrated article the SEC would win all those games or were the games scheduled after the article?

Reaction Score
NC State is now 11-1 with the ACC juggernaut still to come.

Be interesting to see how many of the big-time conference programs they will be competitive with.

Coach Moore is using an illegal weapon on the court, a Gatling gun. Markeisha Gatling has made 25 of her last 27 field-goal attempts.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Are you saying that without the Sports Illustrated article the SEC would win all those games or were the games scheduled after the article?
Hmmm.....let me think.

I'll pick the first choice.

Reaction Score
Watch ND now and when they get everybody back...........The New Leader of the Pack has joined the ACC........What excuse will Coach P use after ND crushed them? Another learning experience? How about playing 5 solid minutes, then 10, then 20..........

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Watch ND now and when they get everybody back...........The New Leader of the Pack has joined the ACC........What excuse will Coach P use after ND crushed them? Another learning experience? How about playing 5 solid minutes, then 10, then 20..........
Notre Dame has everyone back now. Achonwa is still playing her way back to full strength, but we have our full complement of players already. Our schedule is pretty favorable until Jan 20th when we visit Tennessee. After that, the conference schedule gets tougher.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score

Harper was decent but still had a lot of room for growth, particularly with in-game adjustments and clock management and just how she related to and treated players. Team chemistry was a serious issue during her time at a State.

Coach Moore brought not only experience but discipline, which was much needed and which the players have even talked openly about. Moore doesn't put up with some of the crap (both on the court and off) the players got away with under Harper. He also happens to be excellent at the X's and O's, a great motivator, and is embracing the Kay Yow legacy.

Harper will be successful at Missouri State, but she wasn't ready for the ACC and not the right fit for NC State (specifically for an AD office led by Debbie Yow). So, yes, with all that considered, at this point, I'd say Moore is a major upgrade. Recruiting will be crucial, of course, but he seems to have a sound plan to turn things around on that front.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
^3 wins over top 25 teams so far. If the Pack beats Miami Sunday, they should move up into top 20.

Right now, the Pack is on a path to finish 5th in the ACC. Can they keep it up and maybe even jump a team to finish higher? Team hasn't played particularly well on the road during ACC season play, so that is a concern. Duke, even with Gray out, and ND will be too much for the Pack. But the Pack will beat UNCCheat at home and will give Maryland a battle at home.

Exciting, surprising season so far. All credit to the coaching staff and to the players for buying in.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think NCSate is a team deserving some respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom