North Carolina, Kansas "high on the list of possible targets" for Big 10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

North Carolina, Kansas "high on the list of possible targets" for Big 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Speaking from the Big Ten viewpoint, I don't think Kansas is realistically available because of the grant of rights issue in the Big 12. That being said, though, I absolutely believe that Kansas would be high on the conference's radar with all things being equal. Consider that before the Longhorn Network was created, the school that made the most money by far off of third tier TV rights in the Big 12 was Kansas. They're one of the few schools that turns the traditional thinking that "football trumps all". When it comes to the Big Ten Network, the value of Kansas basketball would actually be pretty huge.

There are 2 different ways that the BTN makes money by adding a school. The first is what most people over the past week have been talking about, which is simply to add the largest markets possible and then get the channel onto basic cable in such markets. What's talked about less is the second way, where you add a school whose fan base is so rabid that a cable carrier literally can't survive in that school's market without carrying the BTN. That's why Nebraska makes plenty of money for the BTN - they might be a small market, but the BTN can literally charge any price that it wants in that state because missing any Husker game there is a non-starter. It would be like a Packers game getting blacked out in Green Bay. Kansas basketball is on that level in its home base, which is larger than its own state since the Kansas City metro is mostly in Missouri.

Note that the BTN doesn't charge the same in every market. The 80 cents per subscriber per month rate that you see reported is an average. In reality, the BTN charges a lot more in Omaha/Lincoln and Columbus than it does in Philly. So, the BTN makes money by lower priced volume in the large markets and higher priced intensity in the smaller markets.

Anyway, I don't think the Big Ten is moving again for bit, so the threats are more about whether the Big 12 would want to (or able to) make a move.

If that's true about Kansas however, why were they talking to the Big East during the Pac-10/SEC land grab?

Rumors of Texas/Tex Tech/Okie/Okie St to Pac-10, Missouri/Tex AM to SEC, would have left Kansas/K St/Iowa St/Baylor without a landing.

Reaction Score
Connecticut has more people, more affluent people and a better DMA than Kansas, not to mention access to NYC.

Ironically when SNY lost Big 10 games because the Big 10 implemented its Big 10 network, SNY turned to UConn to fill the lost programming.

As to having a "must carry" fanbase/ state, Connecticut's basketball, both men's and women's bb, and even football, are must carry. No school in the country has such disparately fanatic fans. If SNY sees UConn as lucrative, Delaney will too.

Reaction Score
Four BCS conference coaches and administrators I talked to Tuesday said they think the Big Ten is actively hunting for members 15 and 16, and mentioned the Tar Heels and Jayhawks."

Folks, this is all circular logic. One person says something and the other people repeat what they've heard, and so on. And thus what looks like 20 separate sources is really just one comment that has been repeated by 20 people.

Reporter: "Is the Big10 actively looking for more members?"
A BCS coach: "I wouldn't be surprised."
Reporter: "Who do you think they're interested in?"
BCS coach: "I don't know. But I've heard people say UNC & Kansas."

And there's your news story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics