Non-Key Tweets | Page 279 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
That is not anyone's position here.

90% of this board recognizes that the School Administration is probably doing everything they can to improve the school's profile.

90% of this board also recognizes that the ONLY way into a P-5 conference is with football.

Given those two near-certainties, the position of 90% of this board is use the exit fees and Tournament shares we currently possess while the school makes itself more attractive for a P-5 invitation than it was in 2012.

Your position is to throw away that life raft, while pursuing a nominal increase in TV money, which potentially (probably) won't be there for the much referred to conference in 5 years .

Unfortunately, Nelson is right. And for some reason 90% of this board thinks that having 1 of 3 landing spots implode and waiting 5 - 10 years to get our football program in order somehow helps us. We're currently in 5th place and dropping fast but adding another 5-10 schools to the free market and one less league helps us? 90% of this board somehow thinks we are going to elevate from the AAC and $2M / year to the B1G at $40M / year just because our profile is improved. In reality our profile is declining in the college sports world...We've got about 2-3 years max before the state pulls the plug or Malloy is driven from the governor's mansion with pitchforks and torches and our football program going undefeated in the AAC for the next 2-3 years won't mean squat to anyone including the B1G and our own fan base!

Reaction Score
Fishy, that's what I don't understand why would a school leave when the money keeps going up? If you leave you will never get back. Which President and AD are going to make that call? Just bizarre.

By the way how's my fellow Admiral doing?

Obviously, no school is leaving tomorrow. I am talking about down the road. Schools have moved conferences over time and schools will continue to move conferences over time. Anybody who thinks that college sports realignment is over is kidding themselves. And, schools will face tough choices down the road. Can I afford to build a new stadium? Can I afford to pay a coach to be competitive? Can I pay player stipends? Do I even want the university to be part of a sports minor league?

Think about this. Syracuse football has been ranked once at the end of the season in the last 16 years. Why? Antiquated facilities. Hiring coaches on the cheap.... All comes back to investing in athletics and this eventually impacts revenue generation. Financially, private colleges are most at risk due to the size of their endowments and the limited ability to raise tuition prices anymore.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When all you have is tuition and your endowment and your endowment is $56k per student, you have zero financial flexibility. Tuition is not going up at a high rate at privates like Syracuse anymore and your endowment can not produce enough income. Without state backing, I would say Syracuse has to be very careful with their money.

About 40-45% of Syracuse's total revenue comes from sources other than tuition or investment returns. Their tuition increase was half of ours this past year.

You're not good at this.

Reaction Score
How does UConn pay for this athletic program off a crappy AAC TV contract and 5k people in the seats? I look forward to hearing this.
I am still waiting for you to answer my question about you attending games..so I will ask again...do you buy season tickets or attend games where you buy the tickets from UCONN for ANY UCONN athletics...but specifically football? Because if you don't do us all on here a favor and stop with the 5K people in the seats and UCONN needs to drop football because they don't make any $$ BULLS**T!!!

Reaction Score
About 40-45% of Syracuse's total revenue comes from sources other than tuition or investment returns. Their tuition increase was half of ours this past year.

You're not good at this.

I'm a numbers guy and you clearly are not! In 2014, tuition and fees made up 54.2% of revenues. The endowment income contributed 5.8%. Auxiliaries contributed 23.6% which is made up of student housing, food service, athletics, book store,... Contributions, grants, and other contributed 17.4%.

Obviously, most of the auxiliary revenues comes from students, so I would estimate tuition, room, board, plus endowment income makes up at least 75% of revenues.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And how does your plan help any of that?

The "stay the course" plan sucks. UConn's athletic program can die on its knees or die on its feet. I would prefer it die on its feet, fighting.

My PLAN is to do ANYTHING but stay the course. Go independent in football and join the Big East or A10. Blow up the AAC to get away from the terrible TV deal. Get creative in membership and scheduling arrangements with other leagues. Do something, anything but what we are doing. And if the decision is that every alternative will result in failure, and we know "stay the course" will result in failure, then UConn should consider other alternatives, including a sunset of the football program. Because if we listen to 90% of you on this board, we will eventually be shutting down the football program anyway, but only have a shell of the hoops program left by the time we do.

Struggling businesses pivot and survive all the time. Struggling businesses that do nothing fail 100% of the time.

Reaction Score
The "stay the course" plan sucks. UConn's athletic program can die on its knees or die on its feet. I would prefer it die on its feet, fighting.

My PLAN is to do ANYTHING but stay the course. Go independent in football and join the Big East or A10. Blow up the AAC to get away from the terrible TV deal. Get creative in membership and scheduling arrangements with other leagues. Do something, anything but what we are doing. And if the decision is that every alternative will result in failure, and we know "stay the course" will result in failure, then UConn should consider other alternatives, including a sunset of the football program. Because if we listen to 90% of you on this board, we will eventually be shutting down the football program anyway, but only have a shell of the hoops program left by the time we do.

Struggling businesses pivot and survive all the time. Struggling businesses that do nothing fail 100% of the time.
You still haven't answered my question...do you buy season tickets or single game tickets from UCONN in ANY sport? Because of you don't then your rants about $$ and conference affiliation are worthless....especially with you quoting attendance figures. If you are gonna continually come on here and rant about that stuff...then at least be part of the group trying to solve that $ issue by attending games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You still haven't answered my question...do you buy season tickets or single game tickets from UCONN in ANY sport? Because of you don't then your rants about $$ and conference affiliation are worthless....especially with you quoting attendance figures. If you are gonna continually come on here and rant about that stuff...then at least be part of the group trying to solve that $ issue by attending games.

What do you think?

Reaction Score

This isn't a plan. We have a test case for your plan - UMass. Independent in football and in the A-10 for other sports. Football schedule is absolutely awful and it will get worse as conferences go to 9 conference games. UMass can schedule away games, but they can't schedule good home games.

As for basketball, UMass has never been that good anyway and they are in a mid major conference.

End of the day, AAC basketball right now is at least as good or better than Big East and A-10 basketball. Plus, the AAC schools have upgraded coaches and the bottom tier schools will get better.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

That's not a plan - that's suicide.

You're plan to get away from a bad television contract is to leave this conference and head to conferences that pay less and have far less exposure. (Yes, when you factor everything in, we're basically with the Big East in terms of revenue.)

And getting "creative" with scheduling would mean about five home games a year vs directional Louisianas and zero leverage for home and homes with anyone of note.

And good luck recruiting when the best bowl game you can offer a recruit is the Nelson Muntz Lemming Bowl against UMass.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Really Nelson? We should do something or else our future is bleak? Thanks for the genius insight, I hope Warde stepped away from the donut line to read this.

The sad part is that it is completely obvious that the current track is disaster, yet we stay on it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's not a plan - that's suicide.

You're plan to get away from a bad television contract is to leave this conference and head to conferences that pay less and have far less exposure. (Yes, when you factor everything in, we're basically with the Big East in terms of revenue.)

And getting "creative" with scheduling would mean about five home games a year vs directional Louisianas and zero leverage for home and homes with anyone of note.

And good luck recruiting when the best bowl game you can offer a recruit is the Nelson Muntz Lemming Bowl against UMass.

If you think that every alternative is suicide, and we know that staying the course is suicide, then what is UConn doing? How does the school justify the spend?

Reaction Score
By your definition of program suicide, every school not already in the p5, is in the same boat. How does any school justify the expense?

We all know things are bad, but we're no worse off, than anyone else not currently in the p5.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you think that every alternative is suicide, and we know that staying the course is suicide, then what is UConn doing? How does the school justify the spend?

We have one chance to get to the P5 and that's by sticking it out in whatever you want to call this purgatory.

It's not happening in five years and it may never happen - but if it does, this is how it happens. We do this until we run out of runway - no choice.

The Nelson plan isn't a plan. It's a tantrum.

Reaction Score
It is like working in a corporate setting. The management job that you desire will someday come open and there is some competition with your peers for the promotion.

All that you can do is do everything that you can to be in position,,,,develop an excellent work reputation, stand out from the pack on merit, etc.

The vagaries of the workplace will still play in....somebody's golf buddy, a fraternity connection...but still, all that you can do is to be positioned.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We have one chance to get to the P5 and that's by sticking it out in whatever you want to call this purgatory.

It's not happening in five years and it may never happen - but if it does, this is how it happens. We do this until we run out of runway - no choice.

The Nelson plan isn't a plan. It's a tantrum.

I think our chances of getting called up were better as a football independent and member of the Big East, but that call had to be made two years ago. I think there may have been some ways to improve revenue within the AAC, but the sun is setting on those too.

This Big 12 situation may be our last realistic hope of getting out. Holding off 12 more months beyond this hoping for a miracle with the Big 10 TV deal is justified. Waiting 10 years for the next ACC deal is not.

Companies do desperate and creative things to survive all the time. The ones that don't, don't.

pj

Reaction Score

Some recruits might like playing UMass five times a season. Less travel.

Reaction Score
I've just figured out why we have spent the last 2 pages of the 'non-key tweets' thread talking about nelson....

He must be on par with the dude!

Otherwise we should start a 'key posts' or 'non-key posts' thread to keep this up.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom