Noel Drops in Bobcats Lap - They Select Zeller | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Noel Drops in Bobcats Lap - They Select Zeller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The couple times I watched Zeller, he was very underwhelming. I gave him a little pass due to the difficulty that bigs sometimes have putting their imprint on games, but not sure I saw enough to go that high.

Noel is more athletic, but has the same one dimension that Biyombo does (just different body types). Kemba is a slasher and at some point needs someone with offensive skill around him to pull defenders out of the paint.

Reaction Score
I don't think that was that bad of a pick. I don't know why everyone is so high on Noel. Zeller getting taken before him isn't a huge deal

Reaction Score
I could care less about how Zeller rated athletically at the combine and that Bilas says he's the most athletic big guy in the draft. I watched a lot of Zeller and Nerlens and Noel is a much better athlete. Zeller was exposed so badly when he played against athletic teams with any sort of size. He couldn't even finish layups when matched up against an athlete.

We get it. You watched the IU-Syracuse game.

caw

Reaction Score
Zeller was an OK pick. Certainly not a gamble like Noel. I don't know why they didn't rate McLemore.

One thing Zeller does allow the Bobcats to do is not resign Mullens and/or McRoberts. I would try to get one on a short contract for cheap but let them walk if that doesn't work.

I guess their young players are: Walker, Taylor, MKG, Zeller, Biyombo. Not horrible for 3 years - 5 picks, I would say pretty good even. They desperately need a shooter at the two spot though.

Like I've been saying 2014 is where the Bobcats are hoping to strike it rich. Good shot at having another top 5 pick (theirs) with maybe another outside the top 8 (from Detroit) and one outside the top 12 (from Toronto). Throw in a second rounder at around 30-35 and they could pick up a ton of talent.

They lose Diops 7 million soon and Ben Gordon's 13 million after this coming year.

Cap space/picks plus Kemba, Taylor, MKG, Zeller, Biyombo is a solid rebuild in 3 years.

I thought the Timberwolves did well getting Shabazz Muhammed and Gorgui Deing.

Reaction Score
They should drop Mullens, McRoberts brought a lot of energy, great chemistry in some of their lineups with him on the floor.

Reaction Score
Mullens had some really good games last year though. He can play down low and also shoot the 3.

Reaction Score
I liked McLemore as a floor spacer for them, but he might not be a huge upgrade right away over Henderson. Hard to see Zeller as more than a solid guy who doesn't hurt you but won't win you games - a little disapoointing that they fell to fourth in the first place and then get kind of a meh player. Maybe Zeller will be better than I think, though - his vertical numbers were great for a seven-footer

If nothing else, this draft has been good for our guys. The Wiz took a wing and not a big (Okafor) or a guard (Price). Not sure if Ben is back in Charlotte next year, but McElmore could have forced him out. The Pistons took a two guard and not a shooting forward (CV). Zeller perhaps gets in Adrien"s way - haven't loooked at contract situations and everything, so this is somewhat of an uneducated post.

Also haven't looked at any contracts but OKC drafted 2 SG's. Archie Goodwin, and some guy from France can't remember name. Anyway, could this be an issue for J Lamb??

Reaction Score
Also haven't looked at any contracts but OKC drafted 2 SG's. Archie Goodwin, and some guy from France can't remember name. Anyway, could this be an issue for J Lamb??

OKC later traded Goodwin.

Reaction Score
Also, is Noel's height including his high top, cuz it seemed like him and Battier were damn near eye to eye and Battier is about 6'8"
I bet the reason for his 1992 haircut is to make himself seem taller/more intimidating on the floor. Im not too surprised Noel dropped. I knew it would take serious balls for a GM to draft a kid thats sill recovering from a torn ACL with the #1 pick

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have taken Noel or Zeller. At this point, the people of Charlotte should file a class-action lawsuit against MJ.

Reaction Score
It always seemed Zeller played a stronger, below the rim game in college but maybe he has more........nice player just don't see lottery pick type game there but I'm not Michael Jordan that's for sure. Really strange draft!!

Reaction Score
There was no great choice but since Noel was the consensus #1 and slid, why not just take him and trade him if you don't like him?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Who said Noel was the consensus #1? Sports websites? Analysts? The gm needs to take the best player on the team's board, not websites.

Reaction Score
In terms of building a team, they have gone PG, wing, big man in the last three drafts. Say what you will but it does seem they are adding pieces.

BTW, if Noel was the "consensus #1" why did he go #6? Sounds like the global warming consensus to me.

Reaction Score
Zeller ain't bad and he's young. He will be fine for the Bobcats, and I think a better fit than Noel. Noel is still raw and the Bobcats don't have a lot of time to develop players. Also Zeller was a star in a strong conference holding his own. At 7 feet its really up to him how good he wants to be.

All I'm saying its not a bad pick, and one I can live with.

Reaction Score
I actually like this pick for what they're trying to do. They need to be a running team and Zeller fits that much more than Noel, who isn't the sure thing that the media and fans have been desperately trying to make him.

Reaction Score
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Who said Noel was the consensus #1? Sports websites? Analysts? The gm needs to take the best player on the team's board, not websites.

Agreed. This was fans and talking heads trying to push Noel as the next Anthony Davis and that is just not the case. If he was the consensus number 1, he would have gone higher than he actually did.

Reaction Score
Jordan is an owner. his GM Cho is making these decisions. it came down to zeller being a more polished offensive player. you can't put two liabilities on O on the floor like MKG and NOel. And I will cosign the flat top conspiracy seen him in person looks 6'8-6'9.

Reaction Score
Zeller:
"I have quickness and athleticism for a big guy. And my work ethic will bring a lot to the table. I'm excited to work with @KembaWalker"

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Jordan is an owner. his GM Cho is making these decisions. it came down to zeller being a more polished offensive player. you can't put two liabilities on O on the floor like MKG and NOel. And I will cosign the flat top conspiracy seen him in person looks 6'8-6'9.

Jordan only handed over the reigns to Cho in September of last year, so I'll give you the possibility that this was Cho's decision.

But anyone who thinks that Zeller is the better prospect is just getting too cute. It's a weak draft, which means there's likely to be little immediate impact with many of these players. Noel just ticks off more boxes in the long run.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They desperately need a shooter at the two spot though.

Isn't that what Gordon is there for? I don't watch them much, is he washed up?

Reaction Score
Love BG, but he's probably one of the worst defensive guards around. Both effort and defensive iq.

Reaction Score
Now I'm not calling him Kevin Love because he is white or because of their respective games, but Cody Zeller will surprise people just as Love did. Not to mention the Bobcats suck and that Zeller's game (at least offensively for now) can really complement those of Wiggins, Parker, and Randle. Noel is 3 inches shorter, 30 pounds lighter, and has a bad wheel. Sure bet MJ would love to watch the offensive brilliance of a MKG/Biyombo/Noel front court.

Reaction Score
It's gotta mean something that the best medical staff in sports (PHX SUNS) said no thanks to Noel. I'm starting to think zeller makes walker an all star next year since Holiday left the conference. Can no longer blitz pick and rolls since Cody apparently is hitting everything

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
noel, BB, and MKG would not work out in the same starting 5. i mean good god give walker some help, he can't be the only guy who can create his own shot. while the draft was going on it didn't seem to make much sense, but after thinking about it len was completly overated. plus i'm also in the party who believes in the flattop theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom