No one giving Uconn a chance | The Boneyard

No one giving Uconn a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank you more fuel to our fire we played 1 bad game all year we have under rated star type players with good role players who play good D

Reaction Score
The perception is that Michigan State is a team without any apparent weaknesses while UConn has a weak frontcourt. I'm not saying we have a dominant frontcourt but we are leaps and bounds stronger than we were in November. We are now holding our own on the boards and our overall defense is a lot better. Our biggest weakness is Brimah getting beat off the dribble from the perimeter but there is only so much damage a 5 can do driving to the rim. We have a big edge on the perimeter so it is close to being a wash.
If we played Michigan State 10 times they would have a major advantage but we are playing them 1 game in our backyard. I like our chances.

Reaction Score
No one ever gives us a chance. We are an ELITE program but always considered the underdog. But that's what makes us, us. That's our pedigree. That's what keeps us fighting. And that's why I bleed blue and love being an alum and fan of this university. I'd have it no other way.

Reaction Score
The perception is that Michigan State is a team without any apparent weaknesses while UConn has a weak frontcourt. I'm not saying we have a dominant frontcourt but we are leaps and bounds stronger than we were in November. We are now holding our own on the boards and our overall defense is a lot better. Our biggest weakness is Brimah getting beat off the dribble from the perimeter but there is only so much damage a 5 can do driving to the rim. We have a big edge on the perimeter so it is close to being a wash.
If we played Michigan State 10 times they would have a major advantage but we are playing them 1 game in our backyard. I like our chances.

Woulnt be surprised to see more Nolan given that our 5 will have to guard out to 20 feet.

Reaction Score
That's not true. MSU is a better team than UConn, I think they would win 7 or 8 out of 10 games, but maybe we play well and they don't.

If we go small I like a lineup of SN, RB, NG, DD and some rotation of LK, TS and even a spark of OC to see if he has any legs.

No one ever gives us a chance. We are an ELITE program but always considered the underdog. But that's what makes us, us. That's our pedigree. That's what keeps us fighting. And that's why I bleed blue and love being an alum and fan of this university. I'd have it no other way.

Reaction Score
I see what you're doing there… Well played...
That's not true. MSU is a better team than UConn, I think they would win 7 or 8 out of 10 games, but maybe we play well and they don't.

If we go small I like a lineup of SN, RB, NG, DD and some rotation of LK, TS and even a spark of OC to see if he has any legs.

Reaction Score
Duh. That's why we say we're going to "shock the world" and not "do what everyone expects us to do".

Reaction Score
People forget that K. Appling's wrist is almost useless. That's one good PG and good ball handling out of the equation. MSU might have difficulties running their offense. Plus, lest I forget to mention it, we beat practically the same team in Germany 2 years ago without Brimah by our side. I don't think Wolfe played more than 3 minutes in that game. And the rebounds were almost even for both teams. So I'll give our Huskies more than a ghost of a chance to defeat them again. Plus, the "home" advantage could be a factor, too.

Reaction Score
Thank you more fuel to our fire we played 1 bad game all year we have under rated star type players with good role players who play good D

Any time you have a player like your PG who can get his own shot and create for others, you've got a legitimate chance. The analysts just don't like the matchup, IMO -- UCONN likes to run and UCONN gives up offensive rebounds, both of which play into MSU's game.

Reaction Score
Good, I hope no one picks us, just like last night. US against the World

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Any time you have a player like your PG who can get his own shot and create for others, you've got a legitimate chance. The analysts just don't like the matchup, IMO -- UCONN likes to run and UCONN gives up offensive rebounds, both of which play into MSU's game.

I wouldn't necessarily say UCONN likes to run. They are happy to slow it down, as they did against ISU. That's the advantage of having two great point guards.

That said, giving up O rebounds is an issue that they'll somehow have to contend with against a very strong MSU interior.

Given Appling's wrist situation, I like UCONN's guards vs MSU's. MSU's size and strength is much better than UCONN's. I think MSU probably has more matchup advantages. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't necessarily say UCONN likes to run. They are happy to slow it down, as they did against ISU. That's the advantage of having two great point guards.

That said, giving up O rebounds is an issue that they'll somehow have to contend with against a very strong MSU interior.

Given Appling's wrist situation, I like UCONN's guards vs MSU's. MSU's size and strength is much better than UCONN's. I think MSU probably has more matchup advantages. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
We just need a strong game from the Giff with 10+ boards again

Reaction Score

Appling has sucked for weeks and is pretty much worthless, aside from still being a great defender. MSU was pretty much unbeatable with him playing at a high level, but that time has come and gone. I'd definitely give the edge to UCONN's guard play, though MSU has the advantage of having size on the perimeter, which may make it more difficult for your guards to get clean looks.

Reaction Score
What has MSU shown last 2 games vs. Harvard (who we played and beat) and UVA that makes them major advantage better than UConn?

Vs. Harvard. Win by 7 with Harvard down 4 with 1:18 left game. MSU was + 2 rebounds, shot 49% vs. 41%, 33% on 3's and both had 11 TO's.

Vs. UVA. Won by 2 with Harvard down 2 with 40 seconds to go. MSU was -3 rebounds, shot 44% vs. 35% and both had 16 TO's.

In both games the only double digit reserve was Trice at 24 and 25 minutes each game.

So close wins (not just end score but whole games and stats) over Harvard and UVA, not overpowering rebounding advantage, no advantage in TO's with about a 5% advantage in shooting.

UConn is a better shooting team than UVA and a better overall team than Harvard. UVA has solid defense and crisp ball handers but UConn's on ball defense is also solid. MSU beat Michigan and Wisconsin in Big10 but right before that lost to Ohio State. Payne is advantage but so is Bazz.

Not saying UConn should be big favorite, just that Bill Walton UCLA team this is not.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Appling has sucked for weeks and is pretty much worthless, aside from still being a great defender. MSU was pretty much unbeatable with him playing at a high level, but that time has come and gone. I'd definitely give the edge to UCONN's guard play, though MSU has the advantage of having size on the perimeter, which may make it more difficult for your guards to get clean looks.

This is true, but that has been the case all year. Especially in the past two games. UCONN's guard play is definitely crafty. Boat and Bazz can create shots against some big guys. I'm not especially worried about that.

Interior though, especially with the ability to bring guys (Brimah) outside, is a different story. I'm glad MSU doesn't have a week to prepare for this, given some of the matchup problems.

GhostofBTT

Graduate of a real college. Boss of UConn grads.
Reaction Score
A school who's mascot is a guy who carries a fake sword and wears a skirt does not scare me,.

unless it is a hairdressing competition.
Sparty lifts bro.

Reaction Score
Well, they lost to the Hoyas in the Garden last month. Does that make them less of a team? I don't think so. Pundits just get on a roll focusing on THE team- the one that can't lose. This time it's MSU. The whole thing is meaningless. That's why you lace them up!

Reaction Score
Villanova and Iowa State also had a size advantage on the perimeter and they aren't playing anymore.

Reaction Score

Isu got a lot more O boards. However, they missed a lot more shots.

Reaction Score
Don't care who they got! I got UConn all day every day! They got this!! I bleed Husky Blue!! Whoot, whoot!! Gooooooooooooooo Huskiessssssssss!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom