No Escalators Hypothetical | The Boneyard

No Escalators Hypothetical

Reaction Score
People keep thinking of the Big East as what it once was, not what it is. Yes we'd have some familiar faces (Villanova, Georgetown), but Cuse, Pitt, etc. are no longer there. Do we really care about Xavier/Marquette/Depaul/Seton Hall any more than we do about Tulsa and ECU? If we can get out of conference games with Nova and Georgetown every few years and mix in some matchups with Cuse at MSG- why go to the new Big East at all?

Reaction Score
The idea that Ollie can’t win in the AAC, but magically would in the Big East, it’s so twisted and delusional it’s hilarious.
But all the travel!

Reaction Score
People keep thinking of the Big East as what it once was, not what it is. Yes we'd have some familiar faces (Villanova, Georgetown), but Cuse, Pitt, etc. are no longer there. Do we really care about Xavier/Marquette/Depaul/Seton Hall any more than we do about Tulsa and ECU? If we can get out of conference games with Nova and Georgetown every few years and mix in some matchups with Cuse at MSG- why go to the new Big East at all?
I get your point but id rather play Seton Hall and Marquette over ECU and Tulsa.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I get your point but id rather play Seton Hall and Marquette over ECU and Tulsa.

I get that right now. But I'm not sure you'll feel that way in 5 years.

Who knows what becomes of the NCAA over the next ten years -- both conferences may be on the outside looking in. But if I were to buy one of the conferences as a growth stock, I'd buy the AAC.

Gotta keep our eyes on the 2020's, not the early 2000s.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I get that right now. But I'm not sure you'll feel that way in 5 years.

Who knows what becomes of the NCAA over the next ten years -- both conferences may be on the outside looking in. But if I were to buy one of the conferences as a growth stock, I'd buy the AAC.

Gotta keep our eyes on the 2020's, not the early 2000s.

If we're playing that game I'm buying the Pac12 and the SEC because one of them is probably going to get Texas and Oklahoma.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m not a NBE shipper at all but it’s hard to deny the effects of the travel on the kids. We played like absolute butt on the road this year(way worse than at home). Kids had no legs after the first 5 minutes of the games. Sure travel in the NBA is grueling but they’re flying first class chartered jets and sleeping in hyperbaric chambers. Plus, for guys like Jalen and CV who player 98% of the minutes you definitely get run down. Long story short, this post was pointless.

Reaction Score
The idea that Ollie can’t win in the AAC, but magically would in the Big East, is so twisted and delusional it’s hilarious.
The issues with this program are structural. A quick paint job won't fix anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Football only in the AAC with Ollie and the Big East for everything else?

That’s an absolute no brainer yes.

Zero time to make that call.

Reaction Score
I’m not a NBE shipper at all but it’s hard to deny the effects of the travel on the kids. We played like absolute butt on the road this year(way worse than at home). Kids had no legs after the first 5 minutes of the games. Sure travel in the NBA is grueling but they’re flying first class chartered jets and sleeping in hyperbaric chambers. Plus, for guys like Jalen and CV who player 98% of the minutes you definitely get run down. Long story short, this post was pointless.

Our women’s team seems to manage the AAC travel schedule well enough.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The Big East isn't even THAT much better of a conference than the AAC for basketball. It is better, but it's not like it's amazing, either. All of the Big East teams we cared about playing (Cuse, Pitt, WVU) are gone. Sure, we can play Villanova and Georgetown, but that's not what made the BE so exciting for UConn fans anyway.

Reaction Score
Football only in the AAC with Ollie and the Big East for everything else?

That’s an absolute no brainer yes.

Zero time to make that call.
I think the assumption is that football would need to find a new home. Indy, MAC, etc.

Reaction Score
The Big East isn't even THAT much better of a conference than the AAC for basketball. It is better, but it's not like it's amazing, either. All of the Big East teams we cared about playing (Cuse, Pitt, WVU) are gone. Sure, we can play Villanova and Georgetown, but that's not what made the BE so exciting for UConn fans anyway.
The AAC "sucks" because we suck. If we were running through it like Gonzaga runs through the WCC we'd see a lot less complaining. Get us and Memphis back up to speed and we can be a perennial 5 bid league

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think the assumption is that football would need to find a new home. Indy, MAC, etc.

If push came to shove, I wonder if we would. We still draw some of the best crowds in football in most years despite being absolutely awful. I think AAC says we'd need to leave if we were football-only to keep us in there, but they wouldn't actually pull the trigger. What if we stayed in every sport except men's basketball? Then AAC still gets women's basketball and baseball which are both of value.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
5 more years with Ollie, regardless of conference, would be like unloading a truck full of dirt on our nearly closed casket.

The right coach can have us top 3 in the AAC and ranked most years. Ollie in the Big East would have St John's and DePaul regularly steamrolling us.

Reaction Score
The Big East isn't even the BIG EAST, it's just a empty suit at this point. It's like having Pamela Lee Anderson after she's gained 100 lbs, has chinny hairs, and one of her implants collapsed. It's still Pamela Lee Anderson, but it's not PAMELA LEE ANDERSON.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don’t think the AAC will ever be able to get 5 bids while every mediocre SEC or Big12 team gets in. Can’t believe they’re even talking about Oklahoma at 18-13. Or Alabama at 18-14.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If push came to shove, I wonder if we would. We still draw some of the best crowds in football in most years despite being absolutely awful. I think AAC says we'd need to leave if we were football-only to keep us in there, but they wouldn't actually pull the trigger. What if we stayed in every sport except men's basketball? Then AAC still gets women's basketball and baseball which are both of value.

The Big East isn’t taking them without a nod to the P5 dream is dead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom