Nneka WNBA MVP | The Boneyard

Nneka WNBA MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's truly remarkable that a player's performance efficiency-wise could be so impressive that she was the clear favorite to win MVP despite a different player leading the league in scoring and rebounding.

Congrats to Nneka. Well deserved.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It's truly remarkable that a player's performance efficiency-wise could be so impressive that she was the clear favorite to win MVP despite a different player leading the league in scoring and rebounding.

Congrats to Nneka. Well deserved.

If they decided to do it this way they better KEEP doing it this way (Using advanced stats). I must say, IMO if Parker were the one who led the WNBA in both scoring and rebounding Voepel would have lobbied for her to win the MVP.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Well deserved. Not only was her efficiency off the charts, she set records with her performances in shooting %.

Reaction Score
Chamique Holdsclaw in 2002 led the league in both points and rebounds, and lead the Mystics to the ECF. She didn't even make 1st team WNBA... Not only that, she finished 4th in MVP voting!!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Chamique Holdsclaw in 2002 led the league in both points and rebounds, and lead the Mystics to the ECF. She didn't even make 1st team WNBA... Not only that, she finished 4th in MVP voting!!

Are you sure? I'd swear I heard the announcers saying Tina was the first one to do it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Congrats to Nneka !! Very well deserved. A really, really, REALY special season (as Geno might say).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't know what got into Nneka this year. She played like a woman possessed. At times, she was unstoppable. In a number of games, she had a double-double before half-time. I'm a Sparks fan, and attend 8-10 games a year. The first 25 games of the season, the Sparks were just about unbeatable.

It was fun going to Sparks games this year. I even saw a few celebrities (some tried to hide behind a hat and shades, some didn't) there too. The Staples Center is a very nice arena to watch a game in.

Congrats to Nneka on an award hard earned and well deserved. Nneka put in work this season. The thing I like most about Nneka is that she's not a whiner. She does not cry or whine when she gets a hard foul, and it's not called. Nneka is liked and respected by all of her teammates. Nneka is also very good interacting with the fans, as is the rest of the team.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
While I am quite content with Nneka's MVP award, I will not be a happy camper of Parker gets First Team WNBA over Stewie. Here was the MVP voting tally:

2016 WNBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER PRESENTED BY SAMSUNG VOTING RESULTS

Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total Points
Nneka Ogwumike, Los Angeles
31 6 2 362
Tina Charles, New York 8 17 13 1 — 267
Maya Moore, Minnesota — 11 19 8 1 197
Elena Delle Donne, Chicago — 5 3 20 9 119
Candace Parker, Los Angeles — — — 6 12 30
Breanna Stewart, Seattle — — 1 3 10 24
Angel McCoughtry, Atlanta — — 1 1 3 11
Tamika Catchings, Indiana — — – 1 1 4
Sue Bird, Seattle — — — — 1 1
Diana Taurasi, Phoenix — — — — 1 1
Nneka Ogwumike Named 2016 WNBA Most Valuable Player Presented By Samsung - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

So: Parker (30 points) came in 5th in the voting, far behind EDD (119) and barely ahead of Stewart (24).

I really don't know on what basis Parker's season can be considered better than Stewie's, unless you give a lot of weight to the fact that the Sparks had a much better record than the Storm. Stewie had a significant edge in scoring, rebounding, blocks, and FT%. Parker's only clear category was in assists. But somewhere you have to factor in turnovers, which was the category in which Parker led the league.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
While I am quite content with Nneka's MVP award, I will not be a happy camper of Parker gets First Team WNBA over Stewie. Here was the MVP voting tally:

31 6 2 362
Nneka Ogwumike Named 2016 WNBA Most Valuable Player Presented By Samsung - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

So: Parker (30 points) came in 5th in the voting, far behind EDD (119) and barely ahead of Stewart (24).

I really don't know on what basis Parker's season can be considered better than Stewie's, unless you give a lot of weight to the fact that the Sparks had a much better record than the Storm. Stewie had a significant edge in scoring, rebounding, blocks, and FT%. Parker's only clear category was in assists. But somewhere you have to factor in turnovers, which was the category in which Parker led the league.
I had Parker tied with Diana for 8th on my list, behind the top 4, plus Stewie, Angel, and Sue.

So, among the top 10, there were 5 former Huskies. Geno must be to blame.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

31 6 2 362

Because Parker played more of a point guard role for the Sparks this season. Agler has changed her role, which is a large reason why the Sparks have been much more successful this season. It also stands to reason that her turnovers would be high, because she has the ball in her hands alot more than others. Notice the turnover order...players with the ball in their hands. Candace gets alot of credit for the turn around of the Sparks. Those passes she makes to Nneka are many times a thing of beauty and it is not going unnoticed.

Turnovers...
1. Angel
2. Candace
3. Diana
4. Odyssey
4. Jasmine Thomas
6 Sue Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online