NNBE is not the death knell everyone is making it out to be. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NNBE is not the death knell everyone is making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Louisville paid Pitno something like $4 million to take their job. I have no idea what Memphis paid for Calipari but it was substantial. That is what you need to do. You're not getting a big time coach at a mid-major program without paying big time money. I have been saying that since the outset of this. Open the checkbook and see what it takes. Or pay Kevin Ollie $1 million and don't complain when UConn becomes one of those programs that people say "Wow, did you know UConn, Houston and LaSalle all were major national powers one time ?" When we were still in the Big East with Louisville, I wanted Shaka Smart. I think he's going to be a terrific coach at some point, and already qualifies as a really good one. But I wouldn't take him today. Different set of conditions. Your description of Ollie sounds like exactly how people described Dom Perno back in the mid-1980s. But unless he can recruit like a bastard, and coach like one, too given our new situation we're screwed. And to date, he has given much evidence of either in my estimation. As I said, 100% of the people who never apply to Harvard don't get accepted at Harvard. And 100% of the big name coaches who don't get asked to come to UConn don't come.

Look, I agree that the transition from Calhoun to Ollie wasn't exactly the smoothest and he is a big risk being unproven.

I think Ollie will be able to recruit, he's respected by every person in basketball and the kids play their asses off for him. He's a young coach and if he takes a few bumps in a season where were not eligible for the NCAAT so be it.

Where you lose me - and I think everyone else on the Boneyard - is your insistence on hiring some mythical big name coach that just isn't available. You say open the checkbook and pay someone $3M, but for who?? You're missing the critical point that any coach that is going command that salary is already entrenched at their program or at a program that is in a better conference situation than UConn.

Also, for the record, your 'opening the checkbook' for a basketball coach is totally misguided. After P is canned this year, this will be UConn's chance to give it all we have and get a legitimate name to put us in the best light for future realignment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You simply ignore two pretty significant facts though. First and foremost, our tradition, titles and history of sending players to the dance are all, each and every one, uniquely tied to Jim Calhoun, who by the way wouldn't have had it any other way. Second, both are associated with our position in the Big East. Without Calhoun and without the Big East, that is a much tougher sell.
So in your view, it's as if they never happened? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
Look at the RPI thread and tell me again how wonderful our new league is going to be...you know the one where we play powers like Houston and SMU twice a year...I imagine kids will be lining up for a chance to go up against might Houston not once but twice each season. DePaul would be a power in the new league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom