NIL Injunction | The Boneyard

NIL Injunction

Reaction Score
I can see this reaching the point where collectives are no longer affiliated with a given school, but rather companies. They can act as agents for these kids and auction them to the highest bidding school.

Matter of time before kids have unlimited eligibility.

NCAA really no longer exists.

Reaction Score
I can see this reaching the point where collectives are no longer affiliated with a given school, but rather companies. They can act as agents for these kids and auction them to the highest bidding school.

Someday soon we're going to see a sophomore leave for the draft, get taken in the second round, do two years in the g league, flame out, and then re-enroll in a college and then sue to be eligible to play. I guarantee it.

Reaction Score
It’s sad to see what has been to the great institution of college football. It’s so reflective of the decline in fundamental ethics where promoting equal access, fair play, competitive parity were the ideals to advance the good of the game. It is now entirely about money grabbing and money control. We hyper commercialize everything and ruin it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
At some poiint when money becomes the only name of the game. it changes everything and not for the good. It@‘s happened in our political system too.

Reaction Score
The deck has been stacked against UConn becoming a legit D1 football program since it was given the golden ticket to join the Big East for football. An 'undeserved' trip to the Fiesta Bowl and a subsequent 'poor showing' by the fans and a 28 point loss on the field started a narrative. Pasqualoni, Diaco and Edsall 2.0 reinforced it. Conference realignment left football for dead as well but throughout, the one hope I had was everyone had 85 scholarships and the 'rules' provided some sort of a level playing field.

Not anymore. This is not true sport where winning is earned through hard work and competition. Winning is now earned by hording players, throwing bags and bags of money and unlimited free agency. It is a 'sport' where only the same 5-8 programs have any chance of winning the championship in a given year. This isn't sport any longer where two conferences and the same 5-8 programs are essentially saying to the rest, 'let them eat cake'. And it's being driven by one of the state's biggest employers who has turned its back on UConn for some unknown reason while propping up financially a bunch of schools who do not move the needle at all for ratings.

The question is....will UConn leadership just shrug at this or rage against the machine?

Reaction Score
I am still waiting for a ruling that the institutions can pay the athletes directly and thus in addition to tuition, the students will have to pay not only a subsidy like they do now, but an NIL surcharge.

Reaction Score

In your model, how do the collectives make money?

Reaction Score
It’s sad to see what has been to the great institution of college football. It’s so reflective of the decline in fundamental ethics where promoting equal access, fair play, competitive parity were the ideals to advance the good of the game. It is now entirely about money grabbing and money control. We hyper commercialize everything and ruin it.
Imho the ethics you speak. Of if it ever existed
Has been over for decades

Reaction Score
This is disgusting but I can’t just walk from this . I can’t go away from the game day experience. I guess I’ll just watch without caring or wanting to know any of the players names now. Just do it for yourself personally and don’t have that attachment it’s the best you can do.

Reaction Score
Charge the kid a percentage
Charge the school for being on the ‘call list’.

Hmmmm…

Trying to think of reasons why this can’t happen, so far, I’ve got nothing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When? Lol
?
To be more precise for those with a whimsical mind, the future is now. For a few years I’ve felt the so-called big time schools should abandon the student-althlete pretense and just field teams of players under contract with the school and let the players apply to be students like anyone else. Contracts for 2-5 years, age limit 25, heck even allow trades. We aren’t that far off from that model.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Thanks in no small part to the NCAA's laughably inept former president Mark Emmert. He's left a trail of questionable acts and few results in his wake for 30+ years.

Reaction Score
Thanks in no small part to the NCAA's laughably inept former president Mark Emmert. He's left a trail of questionable acts and few results in his wake for 30+ years.
Former UConn Chancellor. You didn't remember that?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wait until the players form + join a union. If you get NIL $ or pay you should not be allowed to receive a scholarship. Pay your own tuition.
They don't need scholarships because these NIL collectives will pay their tuition for them. That's the report coming out now about what some collectives are doing for Walk Ons at schools to allow them to go over the 85 roster limit.

It's sickening but I hope these kids have someone managing their money. The IRS can be a b*"&h.

Reaction Score
?
To be more precise for those with a whimsical mind, the future is now. For a few years I’ve felt the so-called big time schools should abandon the student-althlete pretense and just field teams of players under contract with the school and let the players apply to be students like anyone else. Contracts for 2-5 years, age limit 25, heck even allow trades. We aren’t that far off from that model.
It still will boil down to coaching whether it’s under a new set of rules or not. The best and winningest coaches will still be under pressure to produce with whatever tools they have at their disposal, no matter what they are, and who plays and who doesn’t. A losing record over several years will still point to the coaching staff, what’s unfortunate is what happens to these kids after their playing days are over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom