Nika Muhl | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
there is no way you can watch the Ucf game and say she was 100% mentally. She keeps passing open shots and when she goes to the rim she was scared of getting contact.
When I said 100% mentally, I meant she does not appear to me to be scared of contact. Against UCF there were not a lot of chances for any guard to go to the rim, UCF was just so physical driving was difficult. I agree she is not getting open as much as she was and her shots are not go in as we are use to, I attribute that to lack of time to get her shooting form back. I just keep hoping she get it soon because we need her!

Reaction Score
Caroline would have helped given an opportunity.
I really appreciated the notes, stats, and analysis. I could see both NIKA and Caroline
and , IMO, Evina , contributing and executing during additional playing time on
Saturday ( Evina was tremendous as a "good enough" mother by moving Paige
out of the "scrum" with the UCF defensive trappers.) "E" so smooth , so poised!
GO TEAM!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You said: Nika had the second lowest FG percentage on the team last year and this year she has the lowest FG percentage of all 9 players in the regular rotation. BTW there is another reason Nika cannot be on the floor at the end of close games. She is shooting 33% from foul line.

So I assumed you were talking about NM being untrustworthy at the FT line at the end of close games since based on her 6 FTs, you think she will continue to shoot at 33%. Of course, using such a small sample size is very misleading and just plain stupid, not to mention insulting to the entire BY here. Why are you trying to mislead the BY on this Coocoo?

You could have used last year’s FT% of 73%, but of course that would not have fit so nicely into your bogus negative narrative since NM shot a very respectable % at the line on 11 shots. A reasonably competent person would know that 73%, based on almost twice the FTs, would be a better indication of what NM shoots at the line – or at least average the two years. I guess since Mir was 0 -2 on FTs and 0-1 on FG attempts, we can expect her to never see the ball go through the net when it leaves her hands. Too bad you didn’t notify Virginia of this astute analysis of yours before Mir’s transfer!

Then when you are challenged with this astute analysis of yours, you come back with: The small sample size is indicative of Nika style of play. She does not attack the basket enough to draw contact and get to the foul line nor is she enough of a threat offensively inside the arc (By the way she is shooting better inside that arc than any other guard not named PB and .4% behind EW!) to prevent other teams from sagging off to help on other UCONN player. But yet the context of your original statement was very clear when you said: BTW there is another reason Nika cannot be on the floor at the end of close games. She is shooting 33% from foul line. Now maybe you don't understand that to preserve a lead at the end of the game, teams normally play a game to keep the ball away from the defense as long as possible, trying to AVOID being fouled until the end of the shot clock when they will attempt a reasonable shot. They are not trying to attack the basket and that was the context of your original reply.

You did the same with this gem: Nika had the second lowest FG percentage on the team last year and this year she has the lowest FG percentage of all 9 players in the regular rotation. Well, maybe last year had something to do with the multitude of layups she missed in the early part of the season when she was both playing hurt and probably a bit too geeked up to play evenly. But no, you will not mention that either since it does not fit your negative narrative.

You also conveniently left out that after PB, she LED the team in three-point percentage last year…. Now why did you leave that little nugget out Coocoo? Let me guess, it didn’t fit your negative narrative again.

In total FG% this year, she is only a few makes away from EW and is shooting better than EW from 3 pt and only a few makes away from reaching PB and CW in 3 pt. But here is the real nugget you conveniently left out, SHE IS SHOOTING BETTER FROM 2 PT THAN ANY GUARD ON THE TEAM NOT NAMED PB and .4% behind EW(that means out of every 250 shots, she is one behind EW). Why did you leave that out Coocoo? Why are you trying to mislead the boneyard by cherry picking your information?

Also, her stats in Reb, steals, assists, TO rate (and she has the ball in her hands more than most) are all very respectable, but of course you will not mention that either.

Finally, she commits exactly 1 foul more than CW per 40 minutes whilst playing defense for the entire 94 feet, unlike CW.

So there you go again doing what you always do: cherry picking the facts to fit your negative spin and then changing the context to also fit your negative spin. This is called verbal diarrhoea!

I would think that the rest of the BY is wise enough to pick up on this BS.
[ ] You and a few other continue to selectively parse Nika stats to present the most favorable impression AKA-Nika works harder than anyone else and she came all the way from Europe to do it and Geno doesn't know what he doing. After your last Nika hype regarding fouling rate which was demonstrably proven to be false by the statistics provided by @JRRRJ you now claim that NIka is the " Nika is shooting better from 2 point range than any guard on the team not name Paige". Although this statement is statistically correct it is highly misleading and a a continuation of the selective parsing to support the Nika hype. The statement is highly misleading because of this gem: Nika has made exactly two shots this season which were not layups or 3PT FGs. We call those mid range shots just in case you are confused. Every other UCONN player that is a part of the regular rotation has attempted substantially more shots form mid range than Nika. So what you are really doing is comparing Nika ability to make layups against everyone's else ability to make mid range shots. Even though Nika has improved upon her layups as you correctly point out that not a fair comparison, not BS them are just plain facts.
BTW 1 foul per 40 minutes more than CW is pretty significant for Nika. Significant because the rules only allow you to get to five. I guess we don't have to worry about that with NIka as she is not playing enough minutes to get disqualified. But if she were.... well you can parse that stat as well as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
View attachment 74801
JRRRJ has shown us the stats of what Nika has done post season to help her team. I share her mode here. How about we see what happens Saturday. If Geno was sending her a message by sitting her the second half last game, she got it. She's all about team and will do whatever she needs to help them bring home #12. I for one expect that Geno will have her on the floor a lot more than against UCF. Paraphrasing him, re: Aaliyah and Nika, 'I wouldn't trade them for anybody, Saturday in ways will be a tougher game than this one and we will need them on the floor not on the bench'. (photo credit cropped from @UconnWBB twitter)

https://twitter.com/UConnWBB
Late edit. Second sentence insert Mood for mode (typo). The image I included, I assume, is Nika’s reaction to a foul called on her at some point - nothing to do with sitting last game.

My sharing that mood is in regards to those on the boneyard who insist on devaluing her contributions to the team, as reflected repeatedly by some in this thread. Thanks again, JRRRJ for providing some stats which, one would hope would dispel some of this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Late edit. Second sentence insert Mood for mode (typo). The image I included, I assume, is Nika’s reaction to a foul called on her at some point - nothing to do with sitting last game.

My sharing that mood is in regards to those on the boneyard who insist on devaluing her contributions to the team, as reflected repeatedly by some in this thread. Thanks again, JRRRJ for providing some stats which, one would hope would dispel some of this.
Thank you for sharing.
Suspicious Liar GIF by Harlem

Reaction Score
Agree regarding her style of play. After watching most of her videos after we recruited her, it was obvious her scoring was mostly one of two things, a wide open 3, or a hard drive to the basket. Even against her Croatian competition she was only scoring about a point every three minutes, so I wasn't expecting a great scorer, but was expecting a significant "offensive" contributor. The reason was she at least created some scoring with her drives, and generally led whatever league she was in for assists.

She made things happen offensively, even if it wasn't directly from her scoring. At Uconn her game has been much more muted on the offensive side. She almost never drives anymore, and that means her scoring, her assists, and yes her turnovers are less as a result. I can't tell how much of that is due to higher level competition, and how much is due to the Uconn system. Nika may not be able to drive effectively at this level, I don't know, but in any case her game offensively has been toned down to fit the system.

Another notable trait from her videos is how much of her offense came from pushing the pace. Many times a fast-break with a nice score or pass at the end came from a Nika defensive rebound where she immediately burst upcourt. That is another thing she can add to an offense that rarely comes into play with this team. A fast pace team plays to her advantage, but that is not what we have. Despite talk that we like to play at a fast pace, we don't.

Our pace as measured is below average, despite forcing more than average turnovers, which tends to increase pace. Now it is true that was affected significantly by injuries and a short rotation for much of the season. Whether this team is better pushing the pace or not I don't know, but clearly Nika is one player that would benefit in a fast paced team.
I think injuries are 100% to due with slower pace.

And when she is and the team is healthy imo she is absolutely pushing pace.

Reaction Score
Because of a plethora of injuries, this has been a different kind of season for Husky fans, especially those that are “fanatic” about particular players. Players that may not have been part of what we have become accustomed to, a 6 or 7 player rotation when the game is still close, stepped up and showed what they can do, such that Geno went to a 9 player rotation for a good stretch. Every player has had their ups and downs, some more consistent than others, but all valuable. We as fans, have our favorites. I for one love what Nika, Caroline and Dorka bring to the flow of the game and would love to a stretch when they are in with Paige and either Azzi, AE or Olivia. Not saying start. Not saying how many minutes. Just would like to see it. There is something to be said for every player getting significant playing time, or not, depending on what the fan’s minds eye sees. As a coach, this must be so tough for Geno to grapple with. On the one hand its blessing to have so many valuable contributors. On the other, he can’t predict, only hope (and I’m sure expect), that the players he plays will perform up to their capabilities. Players have good and bad games. We can only trust that Geno uses this tremendously talented group as game circumstances dictate. It’s easy to criticize in hindsight, but I for one enjoy the many posters that provide thoughtful and educated analyses and criticism.

Reaction Score
Because of a plethora of injuries, this has been a different kind of season for Husky fans, especially those that are “fanatic” about particular players. Players that may not have been part of what we have become accustomed to, a 6 or 7 player rotation when the game is still close, stepped up and showed what they can do, such that Geno went to a 9 player rotation for a good stretch. Every player has had their ups and downs, some more consistent than others, but all valuable. We as fans, have our favorites. I for one love what Nika, Caroline and Dorka bring to the flow of the game and would love to a stretch when they are in with Paige and either Azzi, AE or Olivia. Not saying start. Not saying how many minutes. Just would like to see it. There is something to be said for every player getting significant playing time, or not, depending on what the fan’s minds eye sees. As a coach, this must be so tough for Geno to grapple with. On the one hand its blessing to have so many valuable contributors. On the other, he can’t predict, only hope (and I’m sure expect), that the players he plays will perform up to their capabilities. Players have good and bad games. We can only trust that Geno uses this tremendously talented group as game circumstances dictate. It’s easy to criticize in hindsight, but I for one enjoy the many posters that provide thoughtful and educated analyses and criticism.
I just want to add 13 consecutive Final Fours and 11 Titles; its apparent his system is highly successful.

Reaction Score
[ ] You and a few other continue to selectively parse Nika stats to present the most favorable impression AKA-Nika works harder than anyone else and she came all the way from Europe to do it and Geno doesn't know what he doing. After your last Nika hype regarding fouling rate which was demonstrably proven to be false by the statistics provided by @JRRRJ you now claim that NIka is the " Nika is shooting better from 2 point range than any guard on the team not name Paige". Although this statement is statistically correct it is highly misleading and a a continuation of the selective parsing to support the Nika hype. The statement is highly misleading because of this gem: Nika has made exactly two shots this season which were not layups or 3PT FGs. We call those mid range shots just in case you are confused. Every other UCONN player that is a part of the regular rotation has attempted substantially more shots form mid range than Nika. So what you are really doing is comparing Nika ability to make layups against everyone's else ability to make mid range shots. Even though Nika has improved upon her layups as you correctly point out that not a fair comparison, not BS them are just plain facts.
BTW 1 foul per 40 minutes more than CW is pretty significant for Nika. Significant because the rules only allow you to get to five. I guess we don't have to worry about that with NIka as she is not playing enough minutes to get disqualified. But if she were.... well you can parse that stat as well as I can.
I do not parse stats, but you[ ] are a master at it...

1. So you are going to lecture me on parsing information when you take 6 FTs to make it sound like NM cant make FTs? [ ]

2. Are layups not shots as well? I think our bigs lead the world in missed layups! Just a reminder to you and the rest of the boneyard that last year, you berated the hell out of NM because she kept missing layups in the beginning of the season. I assured you that GA, in his great wisdom, would never recruit a player that couldn't make their layups. So now she makes her layups and that still counts for nothing to you? Unwittingly, you completely debunked your own argument from last year. or should I tell you to 'pick a side'. I didn't realise they stopped giving 2 points on layups, just like any other shot inside the 3 pt arc, but maybe you know something I don't....

3. Didn't you say: She does not attack the basket enough to draw contact and get to the foul line nor is she enough of a threat offensively inside the arc. But [ ] does a player not need to get to the basket in order to make a layup???

4. So my statistically correct statement is misleading based on layups (which according to you are important since attacking the basket is important too), but your 'statistically accurate' statement for this year on her 33% FT percentage rate when she shot 73% last year is not misleading?? What world do you live in? Why is it that you can go grab a load of statistical garbage about layups and mid-range shots but cant simply look at FT% one year to the next, which is a hell of a lot easier and quicker to do??? oh, yes, because you got that little 'bash NM' agenda going on.

5. News flash: many of the 2 pt shots other players make are layups as well and outside of PB, I think there are plenty of them.

6. Big picture here now [ ]: NM will not play 40 minutes a game, but yet she still only fouls 3.5 minutes on average over a 40 minute game. Do you understand that? That is substantially less than 5 fouls. kapesh?

7. Again, you just keep missing the point, NOT only does NM only foul once more per 40 minutes than say CW does and is still substantially below the 5 fouls allowed, she does it while playing chest to chest defense the entire time. CW does not play that kind of hair on fire defense. CW has been more active this year, but she doesnt fight like hell for every inch of the floor the way NM does. I'm not trying to criticise CW, just making a comparison here. That is also part of my point. Why did you parse that?

NM also played loads of minutes when PB was out, did she have a problem getting disqualified???? Go back and check all the games to be sure [ ] Can you report back on the plethora of games that NM fouled and cost us wins when PB was out? But you want make up some hypothetical in your head in a desperate attempt to make your lame point that somehow NM has this incredible problem with fouling. If she did, you could just evidence it by telling us all the games she has fouled out of since being here and all the games she has cost us in doing so...

Does she foul more than others? Yes. Does she foul more than I want? At times, yes. Has she gotten better at it? Hell yes! Do I think it is this massive problem that is going to cost us games? Hell no! As evidenced by the fact it has not cost us any games. She also gets called for more tacky fouls as Refs just aren't used to a player defending with such ferocity as NM does.

Finally for the record here [ ], I have stated NMs limitations many times on this board. But, I also see her value to the team as well, which in my view and many others here. far outweigh her limitations. In addition, her limitations are very much exaggerated by yourself whilst you also dismiss any value she has to the team. Maybe you should have a stern word or three with GA on his recruiting abilities!

Your vitriol on her layups, shooting ability, perceived foul troubles and saying she cant pass the ball are just absurd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Nika almost never shoots anything except a wide open layup of a 3. Her game is to stand around the perimeter and shoot once in a while if the other team dares her to. Her entire offensive output is small sample size. Not diminishing her as a player. On a lot of teams she would be a 15 points a game player.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Articulate arguments can be (and usually the most articulate are) made without tossing in personal insults at the other person(s) in the discussion. Failure to follow this guideline will lead to posters accumulating warning points resulting in automatic time outs.

Really, it's not hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom