Key dates​

Sunday: Training camp begins
May 4: Preseason opener versus Los Angeles Sparks*
May 7: Preseason home opener vs. Phoenix Mercury
May 13: Final Roster Cut-down Date
May 14: Regular season opener vs. Minnesota Lynx

*WNBA Canada Game in Edmonton, Alberta

They’re looking at Nika as a possible shooting guard?? :eek:

I like Nika's assist stats better, however hard to compare a college senior with a 1st year W player:
... Melbourne will get the first crack at winning the backup PG job if she can show improvement from a wobbly rookie year in which she averaged 1.2 assists, converted 3 of 20 three-pointers and had difficulty defensively.
Rookie Nika Muhl ... averaged 5.2 assists, shot 36.2% on threes and won two Big East Defensive Player of the Year awards during her four-year career at the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Judging from this post on the Storms's Instagram page, Nika has a huge fan base in Seattle (and she hadn't even started training camp at the time of posting. (open link and read comments)

Today's the day! Here's our training camp squad ⛈️ | Instagram

One comment entry:
mysteryreign
7h
I hope they see what nika has done for the city of seattle all ready without even playing one game . Let’s not make a big mistake and let her go . She should make the final roster . If not I’m not sure what direction we are going in . She’ll bring the heat on defense and fill the seats !

Kat

Reaction Score
"A player that was so maligned by many Boneyarders during her career, even as a Senior."
Yes. It seems to be a rite of passage here, and not just with Nika. But then, the players end their Husky careers and after that, they suddenly become perfect in the eyes of their former critics. It's just a matter of time before some current player will be described as "She's no Nika Muhl, that's for sure" here on the BY, by one of her former critics.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Judging from this post on the Storms's Instagram page, Nika has a huge fan base in Seattle (and she hadn't even started training camp at the time of posting. (open link and read comments)

Today's the day! Here's our training camp squad ⛈️ | Instagram

One comment entry:
mysteryreign
7h
I hope they see what nika has done for the city of seattle all ready without even playing one game . Let’s not make a big mistake and let her go . She should make the final roster . If not I’m not sure what direction we are going in . She’ll bring the heat on defense and fill the seats !
Nika is a character and a personality. Not only does she have her own social, but she rode on the coattails of the UConn media, plus Paige and Azzi's.

Fans respect her perseverance and effort, and can relate to her, since she appears normal size out on the court.

She was never a terrible shooter, just very reluctant. She's also more athletic than she gets credit for. She could even from day one drive to the basket, just some strange things happened when she got there. It's been fun to watch her improve every year.

I'll be thrilled, but not surprised if she makes the Storm.

By the way, I guess Sue Bird kept the 0, and lent Nika the #1.

Reaction Score
IF YA SMELLLLLLLLLLL....WHAT THE ROOK IS COOKIN'!!

More Nika, throwing dimes ...

If Ya Smell The Rock GIF by NASCAR

Reaction Score
Well, I’m pulling for her but it looks to me as if she’s really under the gun. She’s going to have to make them keep her with stellar play as it may well come down to her or an extra post and, as we all know, posts are way harder to find than guards. I hope she blows them away with her play in camp!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Hope she makes it!

It is incredibly tough to make any WNBA roster, there are too many excellent players for the few spots available.

It may come down to whether they keep eleven or twelve.

She is in a good position since Seattle doesn't have a backup at point, they only have six guaranteed contracts, Seattle did not have a first round pick, Sue Bird is in the organization, and UConn has had an outsized impact on their organization.

Another point is that I don't think there are a lot of big scorers coming off benches in the WNBA. Generally you do not have to be an offensive threat to make it, but you do have to do other things. She certainly does all of that.

Her attitude is infectious, and all her interviews have been great. She says all the right things because she thinks all the right things.

She did say communication is hard with the nine hour time difference between Seattle and Croatia. Does that mean she is sleepless in Seattle?:confused:

She looks great, really trim and fit, I don't think it is just the black uniforms. She does have the advantage as well of having played a full season recently, so she is in game shape as much as anyone there.

And finally, Seattle seems to be marketing her quite a bit. (Why wouldn't they?) I know that their marketing department doesn't make the final cuts, but nevertheless a positive sign.

Reaction Score
Nika just plays hard nose, heads-up, in your face B Ball. Shes the kind of player you want on your team at ANY level!!
I don't care if it's Scrabble or a Rock Fight - she'd be my first pick every time. You can't teach that kind of work ethic, heart and fight. You can teach technical parts of any game, but you can't teach caring. No one is going to out work her, and she's going to make everyone else around her better simply by making them try to keep up.

Reaction Score
So happy for Nika. I really think it will be a shock if she doesn't make the roster. She seems to be taking advantage of her opportunities on the court and the Storm fans appear to be absolutely in love with her. I would say 70%-90% of the comments on Storm social media posts are about Nika, even in ones she's not featured the comments are 'more Nika content please'.

A lot of them really don't even know what's in store for them once she starts playing. Right now they are hyped up on what she did in the NCAA tournament coupled with her undeniable good looks and great personality. They will unquestionably love her even more when they really get to know what a great teammate and player she is. Meanwhile she is just killing it in winning them over with any and all exposure she its getting. I've said it before, aside from my confidence that she is going to kill it on the court she is going to make a ton of money in advertising/sponsors/marketing. She was made to order for NIL, which unfortunately wasn't available to her in college, but as a pro it is/will be. She really is a natural - check out this instagram post from the Seattle Storm site. What an absolute joy it's been for us to have seen her grow as a player and person these past four years and now we get to see what's next. I know she'll kill it!

Reaction Score

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Her remark about learning the new plays, new system, etc., sounds not unlike going to college from high school: There's a lot you need to unlearn. But anyone going into the W from UConn has great fundamentals -- Geno's biggest complaint about kids coming from high school is that many have played a lot without practicing much, so they have a lot of bad habits to get rid of. Nika's muscle memory is good, her motor is good, it's just the whole running the offense thing she needs to get a grip on. ; )

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Love Nika's game! A "glue" player if I ever saw one.
So happy for Nika. I really think it will be a shock if she doesn't make the roster. She seems to be taking advantage of her opportunities on the court and the Storm fans appear to be absolutely in love with her. I would say 70%-90% of the comments on Storm social media posts are about Nika, even in ones she's not featured the comments are 'more Nika content please'.
As someone said above, the marketing department doesn't make the roster decisions, but there's a lot to be said for a glue player who also puts fannies in the seats. Seattle draws okay, but they about half-fill their arena, so there's a lot of room for growth and potential dropoff due to Sue's retirement.

Reaction Score
More Nika, throwing dimes ...

Nika has been looking pretty good in the drills and scrimmage sessions. She is her usual self. What I like about what I have seen in those clips are, Nika being vocal, quick, assertive, quick to high five a teammate, and just being intentional in everything they have her doing. She is not casually going through a workout. She is giving 120%!! Just the Nika we have grown to love and see over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom