Nika in Seattle | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Nika in Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reading your link, it would suggest Nika is not likely to make the Seattle roster due to cap space BUT there is plenty of opportunity elsewhere, particularly the Mystics
Simple decision. Salary cap? Other issue? Sure. So what? Deal with it. Want to make a lasting impression and endear the team to the fan base? Go with the new kid on the block and an obvious fan favorite and do whatever else is necessary to make that happen even if it means cutting another player to make room for her. Sorry, but that's just the way the b-ball bounces.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
The WNBA is in a weird space right now. The current growth in women's basketball is almost entirely made up of college players, who have grown up knowing all about the use of social media, NIL deals, etc. As they're the ones getting the publicity, and then also raising the profile of the WNBA, do some of the teams start releasing older, more experienced and very good players (who are also relatively expensive) but who have no buzz, for younger and also very good players who can generate fans in the seats? If I was an owner, I'd start thinking about this...who is going to both put fans in the seats and provide a quality, entertaining product?
as i remarked on another thread, the best thing for nika's wnba prospects is her charisma. fans love her. she's a star in that regard
-- regardless of her on-court contributions.

the league is about entertainment, ultimately.

BTW, the liberty, not surprisingly, botched it bigtime. but nika benefited.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So the Storm has waived Quay Miller, Kaela Davis, and Alaina Coates. Would you take this as a good sign for Nika's chances of making the final roster?

View attachment 100534
It would be nice if the Storm released a guard or 2 not named Nika. All 3 released players are forwards. Having said that, every day Nika is still on the roster means that the Storm are continuing to evaluate her as a potential member of the team once the season starts.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if the Storm released a guard or 2 not named Nika. All 3 released players are forwards. Having said that, every day Nika is still on the roster means that the Storm are continuing to evaluate her as a potential member of the team once the season starts.
The roster is down to 13, then, and they're probably going with 11. Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu and Joyner Holmes play the same position, and maybe they need only one of the two. Then it would be two of Kiana Williams, Nika, and Jade. Or, both bigs and one of the three guards. After watching the Liberty get slaughtered last night by Chicago, one wonders whether New York will be looking to fill their nonexistent bench (after Thornton) will cut players from other teams. Nika would be a perfect fit behind Vandersloot.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, releasing two point guards not named Nika or Skylar, would not reduce the team salary enough. And the shooting guards on the team are Jewell Lloyd and Sami Whitcomb; probably not likely that they are going to release either of them.

Reaction Score
The roster is down to 13, then, and they're probably going with 11. Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu and Joyner Holmes play the same position, and maybe they need only one of the two. Then it would be two of Kiana Williams, Nika, and Jade. Or, both bigs and one of the three guards. After watching the Liberty get slaughtered last night by Chicago, one wonders whether New York will be looking to fill their nonexistent bench (after Thornton) will cut players from other teams. Nika would be a perfect fit behind Vandersloot.
They had a chance to get her in the draft. Instead, took Davis. They needed a PG with her skills and defense but they passed. I have little sympathy for their decision-making......though there is a little Nika bias in my view, I admit, it still has more than enough merit.

Reaction Score
If I am reading correctly, you are contemplating that they would release three more? They are down to 13 now, must keep at least 11, only two more are allowed to be cut.

Reaction Score
Of course, I have watched Nika at UConn for 4 years just like any other true-blue UConn WBB fan but I never ventured into their social media world.

Nika's popularity in that world has been a revelation......carrying over to her adventures with the Storm.....and her popularity. Geez......but still won't enter that social media world.

Unless you consider this Forum social media, too.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of course, I have watched Nika at UConn for 4 years just like any other true-blue UConn WBB fan but I never ventured into their social media world.

Nika's popularity in that world has been a revelation......carrying over to her adventures with the Storm.....and her popularity. Geez......but still won't enter that social media world.

Unless you consider this Forum social media, too.
Yes, the Boneyard is social media.

Social media.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
“Respect your elders?? ( Some choice Croatian curses.)”.
Of course you are referencing the fact that DT steamrolled Nika, scoring the basket and earning an “and 1” for a 3-pt play. I suspect that Geno got a kick out of watching that play, both the fact that Nika took on the GOAT, and that the GOAT gave the youngster a lesson.

Reaction Score
Yes, the Boneyard is social media.

View attachment 100538
By this definition, any medium that allows exchange of information, ideas, etc. virtually - i.e. not face-to-race, in real time - is in the realm of social media. The telephone is on the fence and everything else enable by the Internet is social media?

Hmmmm.....and here, I thought the simply meant: platforms like Facebook, Instagram, etc......but I can see why this Forum would be within the broad definition you posted.

Reaction Score
Of course you are referencing the fact that DT steamrolled Nika, scoring the basket and earning an “and 1” for a 3-pt play. I suspect that Geno got a kick out of watching that play, both the fact that Nika took on the GOAT, and that the GOAT gave the youngster a lesson.
Dee starting a new UConn tradition that Nika will undoubtedly pass along in due time. :D

Reaction Score
Wow! Hard to imagine a more stark illustration of the new world Nika has entered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom