Niche College Rankings: UCONN #4 "Best Athletics" College Rankings | The Boneyard

Niche College Rankings: UCONN #4 "Best Athletics" College Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/best-athletics/

SCHOOL
NICHE GRADE
    University of FloridaGainesville, FL

University of AlabamaTuscaloosa, AL

University of North Carolina at Chapel HillChapel Hill, NC

University of ConnecticutStorrs, CT
    Hide

FactorValue
    Average Home Football Attendance30,932
    Average Home Men's Basketball Attendance10,728
    Conference Average Football Attendance33,712
    Conference Average Men's Basketball Attendance10,699
    NCAA Championship Score51
    NCAA Championship Score for Conference2
    Percentage of Men in Varsity Sports3.8 %
    Percentage of Women in Varsity Sports3.8 %
    Student Surveys on Athletics3.9 out of 5

Reaction Score
https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/best-athletics/

SCHOOL
NICHE GRADE
    University of FloridaGainesville, FL

University of AlabamaTuscaloosa, AL

University of North Carolina at Chapel HillChapel Hill, NC

University of ConnecticutStorrs, CT
    Hide

FactorValue
    Average Home Football Attendance30,932
    Average Home Men's Basketball Attendance10,728
    Conference Average Football Attendance33,712
    Conference Average Men's Basketball Attendance10,699
    NCAA Championship Score51
    NCAA Championship Score for Conference2
    Percentage of Men in Varsity Sports3.8 %
    Percentage of Women in Varsity Sports3.8 %
    Student Surveys on Athletics3.9 out of 5

We need to get you in the athletic department. You'll have us in the P5 within six months.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here's how they scored their list: https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/best-athletics/methodology/

To summarize:

"A high ranking in Athletics generally indicates that:

• Students report athletics playing a significant, positive role in student life, including varsity sports, intramural sports, and athletic facilities;
  • The college competes for National Championships across various sports, and games are well attended;
  • The college competes in top conferences, whose members win National Championships across various sports, with high average game attendance."
Here's the Top 25 (since that's how athletic polls are conducted):

Reaction Score
Good for UConn and more ammo for BIG membership, which I would absolutely welcome.

But, this list only puts weight on 8 sports for its NCAA Championship Score metric. That's really unfair to a school like PSU, who absolutely thrives on overall athletic success. Why Women's Volleyball is not considered a major enough sport is beyond me. It's pretty damn competitive across the country, has a 64 team tourney format. At least 120 D1 schools play it. Every p5 school has a major women's volleyball program - at least I think. W. Volleyball has more reach than softball & hockey, esp hockey & not nearly as subjective as baseball.

It's nice to check in on here. Waiting for the day I can login and see UConn to the BIG. I want basketball superiority for the BIG - UConn is the obvious answer : ). If Pa, NJ & Md can represent the eastern region of the BIG, Ct deserves a spot as well.

Reaction Score
How in the duck are there 258 better schools at which to party than UConn. This must literally be amount/attendance of on campus bars.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
How in the duck are there 258 better schools at which to party than UConn. This must literally be amount/attendance of on campus bars.

we have three bars on campus (four if you count sports bar in Willimantic) and the police have effectively shut down carriage/hunting lodge parties while kicking off the two fraternities that throw the most parties this past year.

Go to a place like Athens and party and let me know how that stacks up to Storrs.

Reaction Score
we have three bars on campus (four if you count sports bar in Willimantic) and the police have effectively shut down carriage/hunting lodge parties while kicking off the two fraternities that throw the most parties this past year.

Go to a place like Athens and party and let me know how that stacks up to Storrs.
Well exactly, that's mostly my point as to why this is not accurate. I dunno how much things have changed since 2012, but spend a couple weekends in Garrigus or Hilltop or Willy and party there and tell me you'd rather be at two hundred and fifty eight other schools. Anyone who knows anything about UConn partying knows most of it is done in dorms, but I guarantee you whoever made this list wasn't going in to Russel to check out dorm festivities. Everyone at UConn will freely admit the Greek and bar scenes blow, but that's not all it's about.

All I know is everyone I've met around New England and in Boston who didn't go to UConn know it is a party school with a basketball problem. I also think making a "pound for pound" argument could be appropriate here too because UConn more than holds its own when you consider its academic year spends more time below 60 degrees than above, while in the South....

Last edited:

Drew

Reaction Score
Well exactly, that's mostly my point as to why this is not accurate. I dunno how much things have changed since 2012, but spend a couple weekends in Garrigus or Hilltop or Willy and party there and tell me you'd rather be at two hundred and fifty eight other schools. Anyone who knows anything about UConn partying knows most of it is done in dorms, but I guarantee you whoever made this list wasn't going in to Russel to check out dorm festivities. Everyone at UConn will freely admit the Greek and bar scenes blow, but that's not all it's about.

All I know is everyone I've met around New England and in Boston who didn't go to UConn know it is a party school with a basketball problem. I also think making a "pound for pound" argument could be appropriate here too because UConn more than holds its own when you consider its academic year spends more time below 60 degrees than above, while in the South....

Think were on the same page here. Went to Cancun for spring break last year with my fraternity (who's now off campus) and the workers hotel told us we were the second craziest group of people they've ever had besides the 2011 Rutgers football team. I agree there's probably not 258 places I would rather attend a party but there's definitely at least 50. For UConn to grow in this regard it would need to increase its viable housing around campus while increasing Greek participation from 10% to closer to 20%. Also need a less stringent police force. Obviously it'll never happen that way but that's what would have to happen in order to our ranking to go up.

I've been to (and thrown) a lot of great parties during my time on campus. But realistically dorm drinking doesn't get you high up on a list of "party" schools.

Reaction Score
Think were on the same page here. Went to Cancun for spring break last year with my fraternity (who's now off campus) and the workers hotel told us we were the second craziest group of people they've ever had besides the 2011 Rutgers football team. I agree there's probably not 258 places I would rather attend a party but there's definitely at least 50. For UConn to grow in this regard it would need to increase its viable housing around campus while increasing Greek participation from 10% to closer to 20%. Also need a less stringent police force. Obviously it'll never happen that way but that's what would have to happen in order to our ranking to go up.

I've been to (and thrown) a lot of great parties during my time on campus. But realistically dorm drinking doesn't get you high up on a list of "party" schools.
I completely agree there are probably 50 better schools. How far does UConn climb back up if Spring Weekend was still around and the person who wrote this attended? I mean it is legend around all of New England.

UConn has some of the best partying spirit, but less than desirable means to cultivate that spirit; hence, when placed in the right environment i.e. Cancun..... I mean just imagine if UConn had the year-round weather that a school like Georgia or Arizona has. That's where the pound-for-pound thing comes from

pj

Reaction Score
Before you strategize too much, might want to check whether being a party school counts positively or negatively in the rankings.

Reaction Score
Because UConn is small potatoes compared to some of the mega schools that are out there.

Reaction Score
Oh so there are two hundred and fifty eight bigger potatoes. Sure thing, brah
Maybe not 258, but like any ranking, after the top 10 or 20, does it really matter? Also consider that a lot of the big "party schools" are in the middle of nowhere hours away from any city or civilization outside of the school. UConn, despite its relatively rural location, is still in the middle of the Northeast megalopolis which means there are other things to do besides go out into a corn field and drink, or set couches on fire. We should be happy UConn is not near the top of this particular list.

Reaction Score
HoopsFan21 said:
Maybe not 258, but like any ranking, after the top 10 or 20, does it really matter? Also consider that a lot of the big "party schools" are in the middle of nowhere hours away from any city or civilization outside of the school. UConn, despite its relatively rural location, is still in the middle of the Northeast megalopolis which means there are other things to do besides go out into a corn field and drink, or set couches on fire. We should be happy UConn is not near the top of this particular list.

UConn's party school rep has diminished drastically as the campus has become more and more strict. Killing off spring weekend as we know it was a major change in culture. Spring weekend is generally when most school admins turn a blind eye to debauchery.

Do the frat houses still have raucous parties or are those gone too?

Reaction Score
UConn's party school rep has diminished drastically as the campus has become more and more strict. Killing off spring weekend as we know it was a major change in culture. Spring weekend is generally when most school admins turn a blind eye to debauchery.

Do the frat houses still have raucous parties or are those gone too?
The frat houses still do their thing. Problem is the adults will shut them down if they do something stupid. At the mega schools it's the usual boys will be boys mentality.

Reaction Score
The frat houses still do their thing. Problem is the adults will shut them down if they do something stupid. At the mega schools it's the usual boys will be boys mentality.
Yeah greek culture down South is completely different from anything up here.

Reaction Score
I slightly disagree on the party point; I'm only a sophomore, but I've already been to quite a few great parties in Carriage and on Hunting Lodge last year, in addition to straight ruining my quad in North every weekend. In January-March we would regularly have 25+ ppl in our room, and those were some straight $hitshows between the strobe lights and flip cups. So basically my
Point is that Dorm parties are fun (when done correctly), but nothing beats 500 people behind Hunting Lodge apartments. Only went to one Frat party (at Casablanca) and I thought it was nothing special. I'm sure Sig Chi (god rest their souls) go much harder than AEPi tho.

However, this year is a different story. Labor Day party last night was shut down by 11 at Hunting Lodge. The cop situation is completely out of control so far this year. And since I don't have the quad to fall back on, this could not bode wel.

Drew

Reaction Score
I'm a Sigma Chi here. No offense but 25 people playing flip cup and blasting hardwell in a quad in north doesn't really compare to a cave party.

Reaction Score
I'm a Sigma Chi here. No offense but 25 people playing flip cup and blasting hardwell in a quad in north doesn't really compare to a cave party.
None taken. That was kind of my point; the dorm was fun when it was too cold to go anywhere, but obviously there's better partying out there (just maybe not in February when it's 2 degrees). Look, I'm on your side. I have a multitude of friends in Sig Chi and even rushed. What happened is BS as further demolished UCONN's moribund party scene.

Drew

Reaction Score
None taken. That was kind of my point; the dorm was fun when it was too cold to go anywhere, but obviously there's better partying out there (just maybe not in February when it's 2 degrees). Look, I'm on your side. I have a multitude of friends in Sig Chi and even rushed. What happened is BS as further demolished UCONN's moribund party scene.

Loved my north parties my freshman year. Lived in Hartford hall and had a blast. We're on the same page and I agree it sucks but we're doing what we gotta do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom