Nice Story about Beau | The Boneyard

Nice Story about Beau

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-beau-archibald-0714-20130713,0,4712610.story
A lot of people did not like Beau and I think that's because they did not really know him. He wasn't a back slapping type guy but had some depth to him and a rare commodity these days - loyalty. I got to know him a little via phone/email and he seemed very sincere. I know he felt awful not getting the call or text from Nate (when he was served the restraining order) because he was on a tread-mill. By the time they connected Nate had violated the restraining order and the rest is history.

pj

Reaction Score
Great story, great guy. Mike Anthony is a good journalist.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On May 28, 2010, UConn called a press conference to address the NCAA's notice of allegations and announced the resignations of Archibald and assistant coach Patrick Sellers.
Archibald and Sellers were shown in the NCAA report to have placed many of the impermissible calls UConn was cited for, and for providing false or misleading information during a series of interviews. Archibald counters that he was operating under the understanding that any calls clerical in nature — for instance, calls to Miles or others regarding transcripts and information necessary for admission to UConn — were acceptable. Uncomfortable and confused, Archibald gave conflicting statements.

"We had an interpretation that I could do it under these pretenses," Archibald said. "They were not recruiting calls. And when the NCAA came in, they just said that, no, every single time that you made a phone call to him or anybody involved with him was a violation. We said that's not the way we interpreted it. And they were like, tough luck.

"That kid had been committed for a year. I was asked to make phone calls. And it wasn't like Coach Calhoun was telling me, 'Beau, make these calls.' I just had an understanding that if they were for enrollment purposes, I could make those calls. Everything, enrollment, NCAA stuff, transcripts, that was all put on my plate. And it was from administration down."
Archibald's penalties were handed down Feb. 22, 2011.
"It's not a perfect system, but it's the system they have," Archibald said. "It's tough to swallow when you know, and everybody around you knows, it wasn't really a fair situation. The NCAA has a hard job. They have no subpoenas. So there's a lot of guessing, but they don't get it right all the time."
Archibald was questioned about contact he had with several people close to Miles, people he had contacted even while at other schools prior to UConn in an effort to recruit different players. When asked why he was in contact with certain people, Archibald couldn't always remember why, or what the connection was.
"At no point did I ever think I was doing anything that could be interpreted as wrong," he said. "[The NCAA] is trying to get you say yes when you should probably just say I don't know. I've never been interrogated. I should have said, 'I don't recall.'
This.

Reaction Score
The line " And it was from the Administration down"...along with the non recruiting nature of the calls that still make my blood boil! If Jeff Hathaway had filled the Compliance Officer position Archibald wouldn't have made those calls. I know Hathaway long gone BUT the damage he did to UCONN athletics during his tenure was pretty bad!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-beau-archibald-0714-20130713,0,4712610.story
A lot of people did not like Beau and I think that's because they did not really know him. He wasn't a back slapping type guy but had some depth to him and a rare commodity these days - loyalty. I got to know him a little via phone/email and he seemed very sincere. I know he felt awful not getting the call or text from Nate (when he was served the restraining order) because he was on a tread-mill. By the time they connected Nate had violated the restraining order and the rest is history.

And thank god this happened, or 2011 may not have.

C

Chief00

So the kid took some money for some meals and knee operation. I know it is against the rules but pardon my lack of indignation.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So the kid took some money for some meals and knee operation. I know it is against the rules but pardon my lack of indignation.

Eh, it's the NCAA, what can you really expect? Look what happened to Beau. Add that to the fact that someone had a bug out for UConn, and we'd have forfeited a ton of games (if he suited up for them). jmo though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You should be indignant! Why UConn shouldn't be calling recruits on administrative matters. They should be providing no show classes to our players....or providing them whores and drugs. We know that's the right thing to do since the NCAA hasn't sanctioned UNC or Miami. But helping a kid get medical attention? That's just wrong.

Reaction Score
You should be indignant! Why UConn shouldn't be calling recruits on administrative matters. They should be providing no show classes to our players....or providing them whores and drugs. We know that's the right thing to do since the NCAA hasn't sanctioned UNC or Miami. But helping a kid get medical attention? That's just wrong.

Actually CL82 they should stay in the room with a gun, their whores and drugs while someone else take their classes for them.........I agree!;)

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score

Was it ever shown that the medical bill was funded by UConn and not Josh? This is the part that never sat well with me... If Josh is on JC's list, why would the staff be dealing with him? I know the NCAA doesn't care if the $ came from a booster or the team itself, but doesn't it make more sense that Josh "foots" the bill in hopes Miles signs hires him as his agent down the line?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Actually CL82 they should stay in the room with a gun, their whores and drugs while someone else take their classes for them.........I agree!;)

Where does shooting people come into the equation? Or is that some extra curricular benefit once an athlete has already matriculated?

Florida has some experience with this I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom