Next years team could be better... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next years team could be better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agree with Woof. Jefferson and Nurse have both said Butler was good when she got here and made big improvements in her strength, endurance, and play during a year of UConn practices. And she wasn't freshman of the year in Georgetown; she was freshman of the year in the Big East. Exciting to anticipate what she'll bring in 2015-2016.
Natalie was the top freshman rebounder in the nation and the #5 rebounder irrespective of class. I think she will rebound better than Stef did in her first 3 seasons. Whether she rebounds as well as Kiah, I don't know, but that seems to be Natalie's greatest strength.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena made 116 threes as a Mater Dei senior and KLS made 115. Maybe KLM shot a better % in HS than Lou's 41%, I don't know. I do know that KLS will be an outstanding 3-point shooter at UConn.
High school stats are notoriously inaccurate, but I think both KML and KLS approached 50% from the arc during at least one of their respective seasons at Mater Dei. Lou gets to the FT line more than Kaleena, and she shoots very close to 90% there.

Bonnie Samuelson shot .438 from the arc this season, and Karlie shot .398. I expect Lou to shoot .420 to .450 by her 1st or 2nd year. She should be more open at UConn than she was at Mater Dei, though the arc is a bit farther out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe Collier is going to be a Tuck like player. From what I saw she seems to go right to the basket when she gets the ball. Not a lot of thinking or dribbling.... just right to the hoop. I like that about a player. KLS will get time and cause fits for the opponents if she can shoot anything close to KML numbers. Butler has been with Geno a year and that has to account for a lot. If she isn't the starting center on opening day I'll be surprised. Boykin will probably be fighting for time on a very talented bench. Stewie, Butler, Tuck, Moriah, Kia with a bench of Collier, Boykin, Chong, Williams, Ekmark, Lawler and Pulido. I agree that next year's team will be better but only because of the depth.
I think Napheesa will have elements of Morgan (smooth), Maya (versatile, long, and intense), Nykesha (quick), and Tamika (efficient). She'll be really, really good.

Reaction Score
I expect the 3 frosh to have the same amount of minutes as Gabby Williams due to blow outs
This team will be better. We replaced KML and Kiah for KLS and Butler plus added a Kelly Far is type player in Boykins and the skills of Maya Moore in Napheesa Collier. We will be scary good

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
High school stats are notoriously inaccurate, but I think both KML and KLS approached 50% from the arc during at least one of their respective seasons at Mater Dei. Lou gets to the FT line more than Kaleena, and she shoots very close to 90% there.

Bonnie Samuelson shot .438 from the arc this season, and Karlie shot .398. I expect Lou to shoot .420 to .450 by her 1st or 2nd year. She should be more open at UConn than she was at Mater Dei, though the arc is a bit farther out.

I agree. I think Lou at UConn will be every bit the threat Kaleena was from beyond the arc. Kaleena's teammates at Mater Dei as a senior were better than Lou's this year and Lou still made only one less 3-pointer than Kaleena as a HS senior (115\116).

Reaction Score

Plus KLS is taller. Can get off her shot a bit easier.

Reaction Score
I think we have a real problem at guard next year if saniya doesn't step her game up. I actually believe she can be a solid third guard for us and actually think that she could have helped during the championship game. But god forbid someone at guard gets hurt........then what? Our frontcourt is stacked, no worries there.

Reaction Score
I agree we'll potentially we be as good or even better next year! In regard to our guards, remember Courtney Ekmark will be back and healthy from day 1! I really think that leg injury threw her off even after it healed because she missed so much learning time early in the season that it took her all season to catch up! She got raves from everyone that saw her play in HS & AAU! So I think she'll be in the mix after MoJeff & Kia starting and Saniya & Courtney coming off the bench! We're going to be very versatile with each player adding more than just one skill, they'll go multiple positions! This may be one of the most athletic teams we've had at UCONN!

Reaction Score
I agree we'll potentially we be as good or even better next year! In regard to our guards, remember Courtney Ekmark will be back and healthy from day 1! I really think that leg injury threw her off even after it healed because she missed so much learning time early in the season that it took her all season to catch up! She got raves from everyone that saw her play in HS & AAU! So I think she'll be in the mix after MoJeff & Kia starting and Saniya & Courtney coming off the bench! We're going to be very versatile with each player adding more than just one skill, they'll go multiple positions! This may be one of the most athletic teams we've had at UCONN!
I agree with you. I wonder whether (and this is somewhat a reach) Gabby Williams might be asked to provide some defensive help at guard.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I wonder whether (and this is somewhat a reach) Gabby Williams might be asked to provide some defensive help at guard.

From what I can recall, Gabby has already done a lot of defensive work on the perimeter against guards, particularly as the season progressed. Given the large complement of taller and/or stronger players we'll have next year, it stands to reason that on the defensive end, at least, she'll mainly defend guards and wings.

Position titles are funny things. Nobody would deny that Stef Dolson was a true "C," and played like one on defense. But on offense her role often had her doing things more associated with the backcourt. Think the same thing, but reversed, for Gabby.

Reaction Score
From what I can recall, Gabby has already done a lot of defensive work on the perimeter against guards, particularly as the season progressed. Given the large complement of taller and/or stronger players we'll have next year, it stands to reason that on the defensive end, at least, she'll mainly defend guards and wings.

Position titles are funny things. Nobody would deny that Stef Dolson was a true "C," and played like one on defense. But on offense her role often had her doing things more associated with the backcourt. Think the same thing, but reversed, for Gabby.
Gabby could do that, but she has to cut down on her fouls.

T

TroyHouse66

The immediate problem, 2015-2016, will be building a bench long enough for all the players.
In order to solve the questions surrounding playing time for the player-talent we have...
could we join two conferences & field two rosters?
Maybe freshmen, and anyone rehabbing, playing in the American Conference and another group in the ACC or the Big (fill in a number).
By scheduling the teams on alternate days, we fans can have a televised UConn game virtually every night!
And, if we can get some good land deals...
set up a UConn Branch in Texas to help recruiting... like the players who don't really want to leave Texas, but do want high level competition. (We'd wind up like a University of Phoenix, with athletics!!)

Reaction Score
I expect the 3 frosh to have the same amount of minutes as Gabby Williams due to blow outs
This team will be better. We replaced KML and Kiah for KLS and Butler plus added a Kelly Far is type player in Boykins and the skills of Maya Moore in Napheesa Collier. We will be scary good
From what I saw in Boykins she reminded me of Swin Cash

Reaction Score
Gabby could do that, but she has to cut down on her fouls.

...and on offense improve her FT shooting. She was 3rd on the team in FT attempts (and rebounds) even with fewer minutes played (Kia had 6 more FTAs and played 10 mins more per game)...but Gabby had the lowest FT% of the regulars by a lot.

Both items should be improved before next season with coaching...practice...coaching ...practice...and more practice.

She is a unique, versatile player and funn to watch. Given her position change she had an excellent freshman season and should be an even big(ger) contributor next year. She's a real keeper with 3 more years to come :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Natalie was the top freshman rebounder in the nation and the #5 rebounder irrespective of class. I think she will rebound better than Stef did in her first 3 seasons. Whether she rebounds as well as Kiah, I don't know, but that seems to be Natalie's greatest strength.

Natalie was a really solid player out of and in conference.

Butler, Natalie , conference
GP/GS 32-32 , 18-18
Min. 1157 , 666
Avg Min 36.2 , 37.0
shooting 168-342 , 96/191
shooting % .491 , .503
3s 0-0, o-0
% .000, .000
FTs 109-164, 59-89
FT% .665 , .663
OR 145, 88
DR 280 , 160
TR 425 , 248
Avg R/G 13.3 , 13.8
PF. 87 , 48
Fl Out 1 , 0
Ast 61 , 37
TOs 102 , 49
Bl 59 , 32
St 11 , 6
Pts 445 , 251
PPG 13.9 , 13.9

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't forget Courtney whose game will improve and our most decorated cohort of walk-ons!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Her college career had only been over for a day and everyone has forgotten how good KML was. Is some frosh going to bury that dagger the way KML did on Tuesday . I wonder since the greatest player of all time had a meltdown in a similar spot as a freshman.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Her college career had only been over for a day and everyone has forgotten how good KML was. Is some frosh going to bury that dagger the way KML did on Tuesday . I wonder since the greatest player of all time had a meltdown in a similar spot as a freshman.
Yes, a new player will rise up, it is the Husky way. Geno and staff are even better today than in 2001.

Reaction Score
Agree with your premise for next year, just had to say I get a chuckle out of #3. I realize the "5" is the center but when it comes to Stewie it gives the term a new meaning. At any given time you can look up and see her doing something or temporarily playing any of the five positions on the floor. Her versatility is why she gets and deserves all the hardware she gets.:)

Come on Eric it is unlike you to dismiss someone like Butler. She has been under the thumb of Geno, the staff and the team for a year now. You know as well as anyone if she has made it this far sitting out she knows there is a good amount of playing time coming up. ;) By the way, I am sure you will never get a dislike with your new avatar ! :D
You dismiss Butler on the court, and you'll wind up on the floor. A proven commodity, she AVERAGED a double double [14] and was freshman of the year. She has a season with Geno and Chris, playing against Stewie and Kiah every day. She warms up for the grueling three hour practices by running the bleachers at the football field.

Reaction Score

I don't think many Husky fans have, or will, forget KML for a very long time. That doesn't mean they can't speculate about if and how her contributions might be replaced.

Reaction Score
I actually expect Butler to start from day one. I know Georgetown is not UCONN, but I think a lot of posters are underestimating how impressive 13/13 averages in a major conference is. Yes, KML will be missed a lot, but there were four All-American level players on this year's team, losing one with the class coming in is really not so bad. 2015-16 is loaded.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm interested in seeing the improvement in Gabby Williams next year. I tended to forget that Gabby had injuries the last two years prior to her arrival at UConn. Has to still be rust and not fully confident with what her knees will allow her to do on the court. If she's able to fully compete in off season conditioning and pick up games she'll be a force next year. If she want's to play in the WNBA she'll have to have quality guard skills and since she played guard in High School, let's hope that she has them. IF not, she'll still be a force as an undersized power forward that's quicker then the players that are guarding her. Similar to Nina Davis of Baylor and that's not bad.

Courtney was Arizona's Gatorade POY in her junior year. However I don't see her having the quickness to break into the starting lineup with the quality of players that Geno has to choose from. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a Maria Conlon type player who was consistent and reliable every game. Courtney has to regain her confidence and learn how to read and react (play instinctively) instead of how she plays now. Too many times she refused to take open shots and/or didn't seem to know what to do on the offensive end.

Would like to see Kia get more consistent in her play regardless of the opponent. Not sure if Kia remains as a scoring guard for her 4 Year career. See her becoming more of a PG after Moriah graduates. That's where she plays for the Canadian National Team and that will be her eventual position. If she does, that will enable Geno to bring Crystal Dangerfield in more slowly instead of her starting from day one.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The Chong fan club is extremely loyal. Delusional, but loyal.
Yeah, so are the haters like certain posters who keep plugging the same carp, memory deficient but quite loyal to the delusions inside their skulls.

Chong was asked to fit certain roles at the end of the season, such as lockdown defender to go in when Kia needed some settling down like in the Dayton game, a role she played extremely well, as anyone who was actually watching the games from February after would have seen. Next year the role may change a bit through the course of the season and we'll see what develops. But yeah, the haters will hate and they will say that stats and the play-by-play game sequences don't mean anything because they are very loyal to their calcified memories from November.

And as to next year's team being better, the potential is there, but this year's team was overall exceedingly fortunate health-wise with only Courtney being hurt for an extended period. May the good health times keep rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom