Newsflash....Nobody gives a crap if you think games are "boring, pathetic, embarrassing"... | The Boneyard

Newsflash....Nobody gives a crap if you think games are "boring, pathetic, embarrassing"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I'm sorry if this comes out too harsh, but I think it is sad to witness UConn fans writing in to say this weekend's games were "boring, embarrassing, pathetic and counter productive." How many UConn players do you think feel that way? UConn players LOVE games. Games, against ANY opponent, are the reward for hours and hours of practice, lifting weights and pushing their bodies to the limit. The idea that any player would prefer practice, in an empty gym, against themselves, over a real game in front of 6,000 fans is laughable. Players LIVE for games. They live to put on the uniform, play a real opponent and hear the cheers from 6,000 fans, regardless of the margin of victory.

UConn players don't make the schedule. Even if every good team could be scheduled, there would still be blowouts. UConn is that good and works that hard. Their effort is never boring, pathetic or embarrassing. Most UConn players would probably prefer a hard fought close victory over a quality opponent. Some players might prefer a one-sided romp so they could embellish their statistics. But, those players don't go to UConn.

Next time you are "bored" at a game, watch the enthusiasm and joy on the UConn bench with every basket or blocked shot. Look at how excited the veterans get when TLaw nails a 3. Learn to enjoy the players getting rewarded for all the hours of hard work, sweat and sometimes tears. If that doesn't work, go watch NASCAR. There is bound to be a wreck that will ease your boredom. Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thank you, David! The team puts forth a huge effort no matter who they play, because they love the game, their team,their coaches and their U. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. They deserve better support than that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
None of the games bore me, personally.

Even if occasionally a game will, for a pstretch, drive me nuts like a pirate with a steering wheel in his crotch...

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I feel only joy and enthusiasm, especially, it should be said, when we play a great team. But to see those kids playing their hearts out even when the score is lopsided, is a testament to their spirit. This is true on both sides, too.

Reaction Score
I feel only joy and enthusiasm, especially, it should be said, when we play a great team. But to see those kids playing their hearts out even when the score is lopsided, is a testament to their spirit. This is true on both sides, too.

Yes, exactly. In the same way that Geno uses blowouts to work on certain elements of the game, I imagine that many opposing coaches use them to work on offensive and defensive plays. When a team that is down 40 points is able to run a great offensive set and score on the #1 team in the nation, and I see their joy at the accomplishment, it makes me smile.

Reaction Score
I fund nothing boring in those games because of the way UConn plays! the precision, the hustle regardless of score, the effort, the joy, the togetherness, the offense, the defense....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Watch these games now and see how the offense is supposed act and react and then if we play ND later watch and see what Muffet's team does to disrupt and stop what you are presently seeing from happening.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
BRAVO!!!!!!

No game is boring especially when watching the team execute the offense. But the best is always a block by Kiah!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
You are so right on.
Thanks.
We are so damn lucky as fans and supporters of one of the most amazing dynasties in sports.
Rather than trying to overcome boredom, I find myself trying to overcome the guilt of not being able to attend more games in person.

Reaction Score
And some who complain about being bored complain in closer games that UConn should be beating teams by more, and God forbid they lose they will give a very detailed analysis about the starting lineip, who should get more minutes, who should get Les minutes, who is a liability on the court, how Geno is hurting a players confidence by what he says and does. So, what is UConn to do? Can't help the fact that there are few teams who are capable of giving UConn a competitive game. A simple solution is available to those who think playing the Bonnies, Monmouth and the like is boring. DON'T WATCH! I look for other things other than just the score. The team is a joy to watch execute plays with great precision. That never gets boring for me.

GO HUSKIES!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I'm sorry if this comes out too harsh, but I think it is sad to witness UConn fans writing in to say this weekend's games were "boring, embarrassing, pathetic and counter productive."

I knew this was coming, but wow, it's early. I didn't think the boredom refrain would begin in earnest until mid-to-late January. Best to get used to it, because the complaints will only ntensify as the season progresses.

It is nice at this point that so many are declaring how they enjoy the games. Maybe for a while that will delay the inevitable, but the bitchin' about boring games is only gonna grow, guranteed. Unless, perhaps, those who don't see the allure of the Huskies, even in blowouts, stop posting. Maybe they will finally stop watching them.

As I noted a while back, it's a bummer for Boneyarders. Not because we won't enjoy being fans of the Huskies' superiority, but because the commentary about the dark side of total domination will proliferate and, if not irritate us, bore us

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm sorry if this comes out too harsh, but I think it is sad to witness UConn fans writing in to say this weekend's games were "boring, embarrassing, pathetic and counter productive." U

David

I agree that the passage you quoted does not represent the largest majority of the subscribers to this board.
I enjoyed the weekend games as much as anyone and admired the precision and artistry with which the team played.

But still wished and so stated that every effort should be made find potentially more viable opponents.

I say potentially because blow-outs will still occur.
Add the brilliance of next years recruiting class to our present roster and with the addition of some skilled bigs over the next one or two recruiting classes, it will be difficult for anyone to keep up; perhaps only a handful of teams will be able to give us a meaningful game.

We should be mindful of the potential for an imbalance so severe that the media will speak of nothing else.

We saw an inkling of that in the opening run of the St Boneventure game.
Midway through that segment, the Bonny's could barely get the ball over the half-court line, while our offense was clicking on every possible cylinder; baseline drives, transition, Mo, Banks and Stewie for 3's, Stef scoring in the post.

It was almost a relief that Bria's long-range shots were a bit off and that the game's ultimate high-scorer hadn't even entered the game.

Few if any teams 2 to 300 could withstand that excellence.

But it would be more palatable if the opponent was ND, UTenn, Cal, Kentucky, Nebraska, LSU, Duke, Georgia, the big state U's and all so-called woman's basketball powers; even some of our long-time foes in the Big East that in the past were known in the past to give us a game.

Surely such a schedule should be able to be accomplished.

Do I think the results will be significantly different? No.

But some of the onus will shift to their ineptitude and inability to develop a program such as our's

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But still wished and so stated that every effort should be made find potentially more viable opponents.
The problem is you are implying that the effort wasn't wasn't put in.

But it would be more palatable if the opponent was ND, UTenn, Cal, Kentucky, Nebraska, LSU, Duke, Georgia, the big state U's and all so-called woman's basketball powers; even some of our long-time foes in the Big East that in the past were known in the past to give us a game.

Surely such a schedule should be able to be accomplished.
That's what we've been trying to tell you, NO, it's not that easy to get a schedule like that. What's so difficult to understand about that??

And besides you don't want to play 4 teams from the same league.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well, I hope the "Bored Boneyarders" start their own thread, and we can do a "tastes great vs less filling" cyberchant.

Thanks David...and yes, Eric's post is the perfect antidote for boredom, and can't be reposted enough...

"I know we probably feel this most years at UCONN, this team is awesome for some reasons that are different than usual.

First and foremost, possibly our best player and one of the best in the nation went down with a freak injury, and possibly our best and steadiest player off the bench is out with some lingering knee issues that hopefully are cleared up for good now.

What does the rest of the team do? Come together, demolish top competition, and still continue to play the most fundamentally sound and most aesthetically pleasing basketball in the country.

I know great things were expected of Stef, Stewie, and Bria, but how about the rest of the team?
  • Banks has filled in as a starter and not only provided a steadying hand and a spark when needed, but showed fearlessness and no signs of the injury that derailed her last year. So happy for her!
  • Stokes has really come into her own and the great practices have resulted in extended minutes that she's not only made the most of, but shown that she's probably one of the top 10 centers in the nation... AND she doesn't even start. Oh, and she STILL has a huge upside.
  • Jefferson - everyone knew how highly ranked she was and how fast she was, but did anyone expect she'd be scoring in bunches and running the team like a senior? And her defense is other-worldly. Insane improvement from last year - talk about the sophomore jump! I really think she's one of the top PG's in the country.
  • Chong has shown exponential improvement since day 1 and proven that not only does she not play like a freshman, but she totally belongs (and contributes) on the hands down best team in WCBB.
  • Polly and Tierney have seamlessly meshed their outsider walk-on status with the rest of the team. It can't have been easy for them to try out for the best WCBB team on the planet and I admire their courage and commitment. Plus it's a total joy to see the rest of the team react when they do something terrific on the court. And Geno owes one of them a car. How cool is that?!!
And on top of it, Geno and co. continue to recruit like gangbusters. We have a quartet committed to UCONN for next year that I couldn't be more excited to see, and welcome, to the basketball capital of the world. An incredible and diverse group of guards and wings. I love that the parents of these kids are so supportive of sending their daughters to our program, and that they all become part of the incredible UCONN family.

Couldn't be more proud of how the team has rallied and stepped up individually, and as a team. I'm grateful to be a UCONN alum and a natural UCONN fan, and thankful for a team that gives me so much joy and pleasure.

Thanks to EVERYONE involved in UCONN WCBB - from the players and staff to the trainers and managers to all the "back office" support staff and volunteers. We truly are blessed to be UCONN fans, and for all those reasons, am so thankful... "

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Out of the 340+ DI WCBB teams there are only a handful that are capable of giving UConn a great challenge with the possibility of winning. Last year we saw only two teams out of 20 that succeeded (Notre Dame and Baylor). This year that number may be as low as 1. So enjoying the dominate wins are part of the excitement of appreciating the excellent basketball above all others. The greatest joy in sports is having the team you claim as yours to be the best, to be champions and in the process show the beauty and supreme athletic performance of each victory. Never boring; always satisfying

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I know we probably feel this most years at UCONN, this team is awesome for some reasons that are different than usual.
Well, I hope the "Bored Boneyarders" start their own thread, and we can do a "tastes great vs less filling" cyberchant.

Thanks David...and yes, Eric's post is the perfect antidote for boredom, and can't be reposted enough...

"First and foremost, possibly our best player and one of the best in the nation went down with a freak injury, and possibly our best and steadiest player off the bench is out with some lingering knee issues that hopefully are cleared up for good now.

What does the rest of the team do? Come together, demolish top competition, and still continue to play the most fundamentally sound and most aesthetically pleasing basketball in the country.

I know great things were expected of Stef, Stewie, and Bria, but how about the rest of the team?

• [ ]Banks has filled in as a starter and not only provided a steadying hand and a spark when needed, but showed fearlessness and no signs of the injury that derailed her last year. So happy for her!
    [ ]Stokes has really come into her own and the great practices have resulted in extended minutes that she's not only made the most of, but shown that she's probably one of the top 10 centers in the nation... AND she doesn't even start. Oh, and she STILL has a huge upside.
    [ ]Jefferson - everyone knew how highly ranked she was and how fast she was, but did anyone expect she'd be scoring in bunches and running the team like a senior? And her defense is other-worldly. Insane improvement from last year - talk about the sophomore jump! I really think she's one of the top PG's in the country.
    [ ]Chong has shown exponential improvement since day 1 and proven that not only does she not play like a freshman, but she totally belongs (and contributes) on the hands down best team in WCBB.
    [ ]Polly and Tierney have seamlessly meshed their outsider walk-on status with the rest of the team. It can't have been easy for them to try out for the best WCBB team on the planet and I admire their courage and commitment. Plus it's a total joy to see the rest of the team react when they do something terrific on the court. And Geno owes one of them a car. How cool is that?!!
And on top of it, Geno and co. continue to recruit like gangbusters. We have a quartet committed to UCONN for next year that I couldn't be more excited to see, and welcome, to the basketball capital of the world. An incredible and diverse group of guards and wings. I love that the parents of these kids are so supportive of sending their daughters to our program, and that they all become part of the incredible UCONN family.

Couldn't be more proud of how the team has rallied and stepped up individually, and as a team. I'm grateful to be a UCONN alum and a natural UCONN fan, and thankful for a team that gives me so much joy and pleasure.

Thanks to EVERYONE involved in UCONN WCBB - from the players and staff to the trainers and managers to all the "back office" support staff and volunteers. We truly are blessed to be UCONN fans, and for all those reasons, am so thankful… "

Magnificent post Ozzie, couldn't agree more
Except…that I think we could have gotten much of what now see in MoJeff, last season
If her skill set had been more appreciated and nurtured.
I know i've beaten that one to death last year, but I don't see her rising unheralded from the waters.
It was all there ready to blossom.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Except…that I think we could have gotten much of what now see in MoJeff, last season
I know i've beaten that one to death last year, but I don't see her rising unheralded from the waters.

Thanks, but my post is all about David and Eric. I did nothing.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Really?

You were doing so well,but this is just dumb. No other way to put it.

Geno didn't appreciate her enough? He needed to nurture her more?

Comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle