New USA Today coaches poll out. | The Boneyard

New USA Today coaches poll out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Stanford dropped 2 spots and Cal dropped 1 spot.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
"Uconn received all the votes for #1, convincing that one voter who voted for Tennessee last week."

Maybe not. Four of the USA Today voters failed to submit a ballot on time this week.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Stanford drops to #5.

Uconn received all the votes for #1, convincing that one voter who voted for Tennessee last week.

Was it Uconn's performance agains Stanford or Tennessee's performance that did it?

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Tennessee has played two away games against top 30 opponents, so yes, I say the coaches are convinced Tennessee is a legitimate #3 ranked team. It's still early, they can and will get better by NCAA tournament time..

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
UNC went down two; I thought they would drop further after last night.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has played two away games against top 30 opponents, so yes, I say the coaches are convinced Tennessee is a legitimate #3 ranked team. It's still early, they can and will get better by NCAA tournament time..

People always make this comment about other teams. Doris said it last night about Stanford. UConn always seems to be improved tournament time also.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Top 30?.....lol.

My point was on the voter that had Tennessee #1 last week. Third is ok with me for them.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Statements like this ("can and will get better. . . .") appear here often. The posters seem to assume that only their team (in this instance, Tennessee) will be improving and their competitors (Stanford, ND, PSU, etc.) will not.

This position is illogical and based on the assumption that Holly is a wizard while Tara, Muffet, Coquese et al are a bunch of incompetent dopes.

How dumb.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Statements like this ("can and will get better. . . .") appear here often. The posters seem to assume that only their team (in this instance, Tennessee) will be improving and their competitors (Stanford, ND, PSU, etc.) will not.

This position is illogical and based on the assumption that Holly is a wizard while Tara, Muffet, Coquese et al are a bunch of incompetent dopes.

How dumb.

Which posters you referring to? In another thread I clearly stated that UNC would be a contender for an ACC championship and that they would be much improved by the end of the season. I posted this after Tennessee won the game. Holly doesn't need to be a "wizard" to improve a bit of sloppy play Tennessee has had in it's first two games.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Top 30?.....lol.

My point was on the voter that had Tennessee #1 last week. Third is ok with me for them.

I don't think many people think of MTSU as a top 30 team, but the reality is they have a very good team this year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think many people think of MTSU as a top 30 team, but the reality is they have a very good team this year.
They're well coached and have been on the national radar since Insell got there.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They're well coached and have been on the national radar since Insell got there.
I agree. I was laughing that beating a top 30 team means something.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Which posters you referring to? In another thread I clearly stated that UNC would be a contender for an ACC championship and that they would be much improved by the end of the season. I posted this after Tennessee won the game. Holly doesn't need to be a "wizard" to improve a bit of sloppy play Tennessee has had in it's first two games.
But she does need to be a "wizard" to team some semblance of an offense. Looks the same as last year to me.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
But she does need to be a "wizard" to team some semblance of an offense. Looks the same as last year to me.

They had 23 turnovers and looked shaky on offense at times, but still scored 81 points. UCONN runs it's offense like a well oiled machine many times, so I understand your pessimism about our offense.

Reaction Score
What teams get worse during the season; barring injuries of course?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They had 23 turnovers and looked shaky on offense at times, but still scored 81 points. UCONN runs it's offense like a well oiled machine many times, so I understand your pessimism about our offense.
Against a team whose best defense is reserved for the last piece of cake in the dessert line.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

Well, just looking back at Tennessee's 2009 team in which they lost a first round tournament game to Ball St, I'd say that's a pretty good example of a team that regressed during the season. I guess my main point is that Tennessee has a lot they can improve on and learn from. UCONN looks really good early on, but I'm sure Geno sees things his team can improve on.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Against a team whose best defense is reserved for the last piece of cake in the dessert line.

No offense Mr Bear... but dont you think you are being unnecessarily harsh on UNC ?? ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You know, guys, boxerpups has been more than civil, considering that just about all of his posts have been mocked. If he were a, say, USF fan saying the things he's been saying, would he be getting the same flak?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Boxerpups is great but it isn't like we don't mock each other and even our own posts, too. Boxer pups had me at the handle my family has long had boxers.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You know, guys, boxerpups has been more than civil, considering that just about all of his posts have been mocked. If he were a, say, USF fan saying the things he's been saying, would he be getting the same flak?
If a USF fan said he was using a win over a top 30 team as reason to justify their ranking, I would not mock them. It's USF.

If a UConn fan used a win over a top 30 opponent to justify being #1, I would mock them. As would everyone else on this board.

The fact that Boxerpups did that with Tennessee deserved mocking. I was gentle...

And I like Boxerpups. I hope he/she doesn't take this too seriously.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

How dumb.

I'm not sure I would phrase it that way, but yeah. Most teams will improve. But, like Alice, they have to run to stay even. Can they do better than that? Some will, some won't, which means some teams will improve over the course of a season, yet fall back in the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom