New to the board. Does Baylor have a chance to upset us? If it gets to the semis in Indy. | The Boneyard

New to the board. Does Baylor have a chance to upset us? If it gets to the semis in Indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey husky nation. I'm new to the board. I'm a husky alumni. I've been watching the tournament like most of us have. With both Notre Dame and South Carolina out all the talk has been that those 2 programs were our biggest threat to history. But watching Baylor they look awesome. First they have 3 guards in Jones, Wallace and Johnson who can clearly all run the point. Then u have absolute size with multiple bodies that can come at u in waves. U have 6'7 '6'4 6'5 '6'3 bodies that come off the bench. Lastly u have all American in Davis who at times can take over a game. Baylor has players that can score at all 5 positions. They play great defense and have much more depth then we have. To beat UCONN u need to be able to score and Baylor can score. I'm not saying Baylor will win if we even get to that game. But Baylor scares me because they have all the pieces to upset the huskies. They have a couch who has the personality and not to mention Baylor feels like there the team that no one is talking about. What do u all think? And I'm very excited to join this awesome board of great and knowledgeable basketball fans!!!

Reaction Score
I think the advantage we have is the experience in the post with both Tuck and Stewart. Those in the know can probably help us here, are Baylor's post freshmen and sophomores?
As far as the point guard duties, don't forget the point guard of the Canadian National Team plays for UConn ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hey husky nation. I'm new to the board. I'm a husky alumni. I've been watching the tournament like most of us have. With both Notre Dame and South Carolina out all the talk has been that those 2 programs were our biggest threat to history. But watching Baylor they look awesome. First they have 3 guards in Jones, Wallace and Johnson who can clearly all run the point. Then u have absolute size with multiple bodies that can come at u in waves. U have 6'7 '6'4 6'5 '6'3 bodies that come off the bench. Lastly u have all American in Davis who at times can take over a game. Baylor has players that can score at all 5 positions. They play great defense and have much more depth then we have. To beat UCONN u need to be able to score and Baylor can score. I'm not saying Baylor will win if we even get to that game. But Baylor scares me because they have all the pieces to upset the huskies. They have a couch who has the personality and not to mention Baylor feels like there the team that no one is talking about. What do u all think? And I'm very excited to join this awesome board of great and knowledgeable basketball fans!!!
Welcome to the board! I hope you enjoy it here.

Certainly any team has a chance in the tourney. As Geno said, there are no bad teams remaining so UConn will have to bring its A game every time out. But speaking only for myself, I'm only looking at the next game - don't want to annoy the mojo gods!

Reaction Score

I generally agree with your assessment of Baylor.......from an athletic standpoint they are clearly the best of the rest in the field.....they are basically South Carolina with much better guard play.......so could they beat the Huskies? Anything is possible..... if the Huskies have an awful shooting day you certainly could have a close contest......but if UConn's offense is clicking, I don't see how anybody will beat them.......not this team.......not this year.........

Reaction Score
Welcome to the board! I hope you enjoy it here.

Certainly any team has a chance in the tourney. As Geno said, there are no bad teams remaining so UConn will have to bring its A game every time out. But speaking only for myself, I'm only looking at the next game - don't want to annoy the mojo gods!
Thank u HuskyNan!!!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Baylor is good enough that if they play their A game and we play our B- or C+ game against them, they might keep the final margin of victory within 20 pts or less. However, if I were betting, I'd bet against any team getting much less than our A game from here on. Our A game vs theirs and I doubt they come within 30 pts.

Reaction Score

All the offensive strengths Baylor has are negated by the dominate UConn defense that Baylor has not seen this year. This UConn team is arguably( at this time of the year) the best it has ever been. So every player for Baylor has a match-up nightmare. And on offense UConn has scorers at every position.
Finally Baylor's point guard, Johnson is the key to their offense. When MoJeff contains her the Baylor offense will bog down. It will be a close game for a half, yet I feel UConn's over all dominance on defense will produce a final score close to 80 - 60, IMHO.
We will see April 3, if Baylor gets past Oregon State.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sure Baylor could win. But - a lot of things have to happen for a Baylor victory. UCONN has to shoot poorly for the entire game. Baylor has to shoot lights out. UCONN's defense has to have huge mental lapses and allow Baylor to run crazy. UCONN has to have at least one of the Big 3 in early foul trouble.

Now - UCONN prides itself on lock-down defense. That is a constant that never changes. UCONN will rebound and not give Baylor a lot of second chance points. Offensively, if shots are not dropping, UCONN can and will crash the offensive boards and get some put backs.

Baylor's bigs will have a very difficult job of handling Stewart and Tuck. Add in Williams and Collier and UCONN has the advantage up front. And remember - nobody has been able to stop or limit Stewie. Guard play - Jefferson is the best guard in WCBB both defensively and offensively. Nurse is a hard nose defender who is a nightmare if she's guarding you.

So could Baylor hang in there - probably. I think UCONN's speed, athleticism and team chemistry will prevail.

Reaction Score
Hey husky nation. I'm new to the board. I'm a husky alumni. I've been watching the tournament like most of us have. With both Notre Dame and South Carolina out all the talk has been that those 2 programs were our biggest threat to history. But watching Baylor they look awesome. First they have 3 guards in Jones, Wallace and Johnson who can clearly all run the point. Then u have absolute size with multiple bodies that can come at u in waves. U have 6'7 '6'4 6'5 '6'3 bodies that come off the bench. Lastly u have all American in Davis who at times can take over a game. Baylor has players that can score at all 5 positions. They play great defense and have much more depth then we have. To beat UCONN u need to be able to score and Baylor can score. I'm not saying Baylor will win if we even get to that game. But Baylor scares me because they have all the pieces to upset the huskies. They have a couch who has the personality and not to mention Baylor feels like there the team that no one is talking about. What do u all think? A

nd I'm very excited to join this awesome board of great and knowledgeable basketball fans!!!
Question CAN THEY upset UConn--the correct answer is YES --if the stars align themselves, and the basketball gods get angry at Geno. They certainly have the talent and have it in the right places.
Yet the factor is in the coach, injuries, sickness. Yet we shall see what we shall see, astute isn't it???

Reaction Score
All great points!! Thanks for all your input!! That's why we play the games!! Go huskies!!! Bleed Blue!! UCONN nation!!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Among the keys to a potential UConn victory over Baylor is controlling Nina Davis
Nurse and Stewie have the potential to defend Davis in a manner she hasn't yet experienced.
Impossible to completely neutralize this canny athlete but taking away her gimme's will be enough.

Reaction Score
UConn is clearly the better team, but if they played five times, would Baylor win at least one? Most likely, but I think UConn has an added advantage in a final four game because Stewie, Mo and Tuck have been there three times before. That being said it wouldn't bother me at all if Baylor lost to Oregon State

Reaction Score
I think the advantage we have is the experience in the post with both Tuck and Stewart. Those in the know can probably help us here, are Baylor's post freshmen and sophomores?
As far as the point guard duties, don't forget the point guard of the Canadian National Team plays for UConn ;)
Agree with these comments and would add Jefferson, who can totally shut down her opponent.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its going to come down to defense and Baylor wont stop UConn. There are a lot of reason but the main reason is they no one to guard Stewie. Don't forget Texas lost 4 games and 3 of those losses were to Baylor. How much did Baylor win by and watch by how many UConn beats Texas by. If Baylor beats Oregon St UConn will win by 20+

Reaction Score
Its going to come down to defense and Baylor wont stop UConn. There are a lot of reason but the main reason is they no one to guard Stewie. Don't forget Texas lost 4 games and 3 of those losses were to Baylor. How much did Baylor win by and watch by how many UConn beats Texas by. If Baylor beats Oregon St UConn will win by 20+
Margin of Victory- By 13 at Texas, by 26 at home and by by 16 in The Big 12 Tourney

Reaction Score
For Baylor to win there is key matchups they will need to succeed in.
First, Wallace and prince will HAVE to outplay Nurse and KLS.
Second, Alexis Jones play will have to neutralize Moriah Jefferson play.
And Nina Davis surrounded by the young minded post players will have to battle Stewie and Tuck for FORTY entire minutes.

If I were coaching Baylor I am running three defensive sets the entire game. Man, matchup, and press. personally, I would face guard KLS the entire game, challenge Nina Davis to battle Morgan Tuck for FORTY minutes, as well as challenge Alexis Jones to out perform her longtime friend Mo Jefferson. I would give Higgins, Cave, Beatrice, and Brown all 4 the challenge to play AGGRESSIVE defense on Stewie. The two things I would remind these 4 players are together you all have TWENTY fouls to give, and lastly anything you give the team on offense is a huge plus. But to continue to play in this game YOU MUST SHOW AGGRESSIVE DEFENSE towards their star forward.

If this game was to happen which I am hoping for dearly for WCBB. I have UCONN 81 Baylor 64. With Uconn pulling away in the 2nd half.

I would love to see Washington frontcourt vs Uconn frontcourt because boy do I love seeing Morgan Tuck play against bigger stronger players. Its these games she reminds the NCAA how deadly of a post player she is. She just might be my favorite Husky of all time and I have a serious sports hate towards Uconn ... because hey Uconn is Uconn.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The size of Baylor will work against them - see UCONN vs South Carolina. Our bigs will take them away from the basket and depth isn't that important in the tournament - UCONN's pace is something Baylor has not seen(partially due to Kim ducking us this year). So - it isn't what they will do to us- the question is- how does Baylor try and neutralize us? Also, how do they react when they get with a haymaker from us? Do they have what it takes to get it back together and punch back or do to their lack of experience in this setting- do they get the deer in the headlights. UCONN 81-Baylor 65 - and it won't be that close.

Reaction Score
As Kara Lawson mentioned today. Most teams are going to use 7 players in these games. And as she also stated she would rather have talent over depth. 2 of Baylor's bigs are freshman. So, wihout jumping too far ahead of ourselves, let's just look at a simple possesssion when Huskies have the ball. Let's just say Johnson is guarding Moriah, and Jones guards Nurse. Probably Prince guarding Stewie, Davis guarding KLS, Montpremier on Morgan. There are a lot of matchup problems here that I see.

Reaction Score
As Kara Lawson mentioned today. Most teams are going to use 7 players in these games. And as she also stated she would rather have talent over depth. 2 of Baylor's bigs are freshman. So, wihout jumping too far ahead of ourselves, let's just look at a simple possesssion when Huskies have the ball. Let's just say Johnson is guarding Moriah, and Jones guards Nurse. Probably Prince guarding Stewie, Davis guarding KLS, Montpremier on Morgan. There are a lot of matchup problems here that I see.
Stewie and Moiah, IMHO nobody can guard them.
One is too powerful and flexible, the other is too fast and quick.

Reaction Score
In addition to the match ups, the UCONN huskies play with discipline offensively and defensively at a speed I have not seen from other teams. That discipline, I think, will give our huskies a higher probability in playing at a consistent level. Go Husky!

Reaction Score
Baylor is good enough that if they play their A game and we play our B- or C+ game against them, they might keep the final margin of victory within 20 pts or less. However, if I were betting, I'd bet against any team getting much less than our A game from here on. Our A game vs theirs and I doubt they come within 30 pts.

If Baylor plays their "A game" and Uconn plays their "C+ game," then Uconn might still win by 20 points or greater?

That is not even remotely realistic.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member