New Mock Draft Has Connecticut Taking Morgan Tuck 4th Overall | The Boneyard

New Mock Draft Has Connecticut Taking Morgan Tuck 4th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't think the Sun need a slow guard like Banham, even if she can shoot. I would expect the Sun to take Jonquel Jones if San Antonio doesn't. Big question: if San Antonio does not take Moriah, should the Sun take her? I would think so, but I'm not so sure that they should take Morgan.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I love Morgan and she deserves all the honors that come her way but if I were a WNBA GM I would have to think twice about drafting a player with her knee history to play a much more intense schedule than that played in the NCAA. Is there any chance this mock draft was generated with input from College people who want to make UCONN as weak as possible next year? I say that only half jokingly. It makes more sense for her healthwise to stay another year in college or proceed cautiously with her basketball career. It's hard to imagine she is going to last long if she has to play all those games. At least at UCONN she will have the luxury of sitting out some games. I doubt the pros would give her that benefit if they're paying for her services.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is the first mock draft that had Imani Boyette so high which makes me very suspect. Boyette is so unimpressive at 6'7" that it is depressing. She got eaten up last night by Baylor's two freshman bigs last night.

Beatrice Mompremier took it to Boyette last night on offense and defense. Mompremier blew past her multiple times to get to the rim and also bothered Boyette on most of her shots. Boyette's focus and determination are not that great.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Where did this come from? No source cited. I don't have a crystal ball, but I would be very surprised if it turns out this way.

Reaction Score
Where did this come from? No source cited. I don't have a crystal ball, but I would be very surprised if it turns out this way.
If you click on the graphic that contains the little "click here pointy finger," you'll be taken to the source. The real draft won't happen until April 14. This one is just a mock draft for prediction and discussion purposes.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if San Antonio may trade their draft pick since they already have a pretty solid PG in Danielle Robinson, who I believe has been invited to the US National Team tryouts in the past. I just can't imagine SA drafting and keeping Jefferson unless they plan on sending Robinson elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if San Antonio may trade their draft pick since they already have a pretty solid PG in Danielle Robinson, who I believe has been invited to the US National Team tryouts in the past. I just can't imagine SA drafting and keeping Jefferson unless they plan on sending Robinson elsewhere.
Agree. But, Texas loves their Texans. :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Agree. But, Texas loves their Texans. :D

That is true. But the he odd thing about Jefferson is that since she didn't go to a high school or college in Texas it is almost as if she is a forgotten Texan...kind of a Yankxan (Yankee Texan) and doesn't really have the fan base that a lot of players who went to high school and college in Texas would have, so her draw at the box office would be minimal until the city got to know her better.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This is the first mock draft that had Imani Boyette so high which makes me very suspect. Boyette is so unimpressive at 6'7" that it is depressing. She got eaten up last night by Baylor's two freshman bigs last night.

This guy has been super high on Boyette in all of his mock drafts. I just do not see it...at all. She's "blocked shot and rebounding machine". Sure. So is Ruth Hamblin. So why would Hamblin (9.5 rpg, 3.4 bpg) go #16 and Boyette (8.9 rpg, 3.0 bpg) go #5?

Part of the reason Hamblin's per game stats are better is that she is playing more minutes, but she's not playing crazy minutes (27.9 minutes per game). Boyette is playing a very light minutes load for a supposedly great player (22.9 mpg), which makes me wonder about her conditioning. Also, Hamblin has 71 fouls in 893 minutes (0 foul-outs) compared with Boyette's 85 in 733 minutes (4 foul-outs). And Hamblin shoots 56.3% from the field compared to Boyette's 51.3%. Oh, and Oregon State played a better schedule than Texas.

You can forget about Boyette having "range out to the three-point line". She has made all of nine 3s in her college career.

The point of my Hamblin comparison is that I think he's right about her. She's a second round pick and probably a career backup. And I think she's better than Boyette. I can't fathom taking her at #5.

I've seen Megdal's stuff here and there for a while and he seems like a smart basketball guy. And it's awesome that he puts out a mock draft every week for us all to complain about but...he has some strange pet players. I don't see Megan Podkowa as a 1st pick either and I've seen her in person 3 times so I'm not just going off of numbers here. The fact that he lists her as a "G/F" is actually hilarious. I get that she's shooting 48.6% (!) on 3s this year but that alone does not make her a guard. I'm thinking of the Sky's guards; she wouldn't have a prayer trying to defend Sloot, Cappie, or Quigley. Heck, even Tamera Young would drive on her pretty easily.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Long term, they would want to move one or the other (I'm guessing D-Rob, Jefferson should end up being a much better player). In the short term, it could work out fine. I like bringing a speedy PG off the bench to go against tired starters and/or backups. It has worked ok for the Sky with Jamierra Faulkner backing up Sloot. Plus, against smaller backcourts you always have the option of the roadrunner lineup where you play the two together. The fastbreak with those two plus K-Mac camping at the 3-point line would be pretty scary.

Reaction Score
It makes more sense for her healthwise to stay another year in college

How does that make "more sense"?
It makes just as much sense to get going on her pro career since that knee probably only has a limited number of games left in it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I'll be shocked if Tiffany Mitchell is still on the board at #7.

Boyette is embarrassingly soft. Her reaction time is slow. She does not run the floor as smooth as some other bigs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree. Anyone who risks taking Morgan that high would be a team who expects to vie for a Championship in the n ext year or 2. I doubt Morgan's knee will last more than a few seasons in the pros. If she only lasts a few years, it would be logical that a team would take her high if they expected to win the Championship.

Maybe in the first round teams like NY, Phx, Minny, even maybe Chicago or Indiana. I really don't see any other team risking a top pick on a kid who may not last more than a few years... No offense meant to Morgan - I love her and hope she comes back. If she were healthy, of course she'd be a top pick. But she's proven she's not healthy. At least not on a consistent basis and not for the long run...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Well, instead of trading the pick, they could also use it to select a post player. Until Jonquel Jones was injured, everyone thought that she was the second-best front court player in the draft. She is playing again but seems to have moved down in the pecking order. I agree that Boyette is not worth the 2nd overall pick, but other than Jones, I wonder who among centers or power forwards is worth such a pick. There is a lot of talent in college at the post position, but most of it consists of underclassmen (Wilson, Coates, Brionna Jones, the Cal and Baylor freshmen).

I would expect San Antonio to pick Jonquel Jones. That would mean that Moriah would be available to the Sun, and I would expect them to take her. Will they then take Morgan with the 4th pick? That is dubious for the reasons noted above.

If Jonquel Jones is still available when the Sun pick, I would expect them to snap her up.

Reaction Score

I think its pretty neat that Imani Boyette will be the first daughter of a WNBA player (Pam McGee) to play in the league!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, instead of trading the pick, they could also use it to select a post player. Until Jonquel Jones was injured, everyone thought that she was the second-best front court player in the draft. She is playing again but seems to have moved down in the pecking order. I agree that Boyette is not worth the 2nd overall pick, but other than Jones, I wonder who among centers or power forwards is worth such a pick. There is a lot of talent in college at the post position, but most of it consists of underclassmen (Wilson, Coates, Brionna Jones, the Cal and Baylor freshmen).

I would expect San Antonio to pick Jonquel Jones. That would mean that Moriah would be available to the Sun, and I would expect them to take her. Will they then take Morgan with the 4th pick? That is dubious for the reasons noted above.

If Jonquel Jones is still available when the Sun pick, I would expect them to snap her up.
I am wondering if there is not a team out there with an extra forward and lower pick that might be tempting SA. I think the Sun could afford to trade Thomas but probably would not trade her and the #4 pick to in effect move up one spot. Might they be able to package her and another player to monopolize the top of the draft?

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
This is the first mock draft that had Imani Boyette so high which makes me very suspect. Boyette is so unimpressive at 6'7" that it is depressing...
upload_2016-3-8_23-36-24.png

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That is true. But the he odd thing about Jefferson is that since she didn't go to a high school or college in Texas it is almost as if she is a forgotten Texan...kind of a Yankxan (Yankee Texan) and doesn't really have the fan base that a lot of players who went to high school and college in Texas would have, so her draw at the box office would be minimal until the city got to know her better.
Jefferson is a bigger "star" in Texas than Troy Aikman and any of Baylor and UTexas players born and raised their... she'll be welcomed back with open arms #southernhospitality

Reaction Score
I think you have to remember that SA literally needs up at every position. Robinson's presence and talent (although good) is not great enough to justify passing on Moriah. Aside from Robinson, who else do they have at point guard down there? I also think Jonquel Jones is just too much of a reach at 2, SA also has pick #25 and I think they could find a pretty solid player there that's been under the radar the whole season.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Have to think that CT first takes a guard (whoever is available, in the following order of preference: Jefferson, Mitchell or Banham) then a big such as Jonquel Jones. She is the real deal.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think you have to remember that SA literally needs up at every position. Robinson's presence and talent (although good) is not great enough to justify passing on Moriah. Aside from Robinson, who else do they have at point guard down there? I also think Jonquel Jones is just too much of a reach at 2, SA also has pick #25 and I think they could find a pretty solid player there that's been under the radar the whole season.

Robinson is a little better than "good" as she is one of the 25 finalists for the Olympic team. If SA drafts Jefferson to play PG she will be waiting in the wings for a while as Robinson has only been in the WNBA for 5 seasons and Dan Hughes won't be moving her out anytime soon. SA also has McBride on the wing, along with Perkins, and just resigned Colson.

Would seem a waste to draft a player at a position where you already have one of the world's best players. I cannot imagine Jefferson coming into the league on a team that does not really need a PG. Just seems to me that they would get more value out of trading Jefferson to a team that is in need of a PG so that they could shore up other positions where they need help, and they really need help in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom