new article on Northwestern players' unionization attempt | The Boneyard

new article on Northwestern players' unionization attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting article. What caught my eye was the practice time. The 20 hour limit is not a suggestion. It is a rule that must be followed like any other rule. One time it is not followed is a secondary violation. Consistently not following the rule is a major violation. So Bowlsby is basically admitting that every member of his conference has committed repeatedly a major violation. And as a commissioner, he is supposed to officially report this to the NCAA, and impose begin imposing penalties himself. Since this is not limited to the Big 12 and is most likely happening everywhere, apparently it has been agreed that this rule can be violated with impunity.

The practice time issue must be addressed with reality in mind. Contests count as 2 hours, regardless of the length of the game. That leaves 18 hours. That should be manageable for most athletes to pursue their studies, and should not prevent them not getting into classes, etc., especially at a large university. The fact that this isn't close to reality is a serious issue, perhaps as serious as admitting students who barely meet first grade standards.

Reaction Score
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/25/us/northwestern-football-players-union/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Although I'm opposed to paying players, the article makes some good points about how, because of the hours spent involved with the sport, there's really no time to pursue a "real" major, so it does sort of make the players employees, not just student athletes.

I wonder about the 20 hours thing. I always heard offhand that students who receive compensation (tuition, stipend, room & board, and sign a contract stating they can't take an outside job other than in summer) are not allowed to work more than 25 hours. And yet, I once worked 40 hours a week for an entire year, and no one said a thing about it.

I don't think this hour cutoff thing is relevant since other students are expected to put in a lot of hours, but I also don't see why the athletes shouldn't be allowed to unionize for collective rights, since other students can do so (have done so). In fact, there have been strikes (which would be very odd, if the players struck during the season). There would also be tax situations that pop up.

Again, I wonder why these arguments haven't been tried in the workplace with regard to unpaid internships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom