New arena? Malloy wants to bring the NHL back | The Boneyard

New arena? Malloy wants to bring the NHL back

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
And not necessarily in Hartford. But it sounds very unlikely:

“Governor Malloy has formed a group to bring an NHL team to Hartford,” a source with direct knowledge of the situation said. Recently, Malloy approached at least one potential buyer, a second source said, and told the suitor the plan is to build a new arena as part of a bigger development that would be in the state, but not necessarily Hartford.

Malloy, in telling local TV last summer that NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman had told him it was “unlikely” a team would be relocated to his state, said it would take an investment of roughly $450 million to bring a new arena to life.
A Malloy spokesman told The Post “persons have reached out to him with non-specific proposals” but that was it.
NY Post -Hartford fighting for its hockey habit
Courant (same story)- Report: Malloy Chasing NHL

So... what if this doesn't work? What does it mean for UConn and the XL?

Reaction Score
All those hockey teams down south then should be ready to fold instead of moving back up north. I mean--Quebec doesn't have a team, but Nashville does?

Something's wrong.

That being said, maybe the state can get behind UConn hockey instead?

Reaction Score
All those hockey teams down south then should be ready to fold instead of moving back up north. I mean--Quebec doesn't have a team, but Nashville does?

Something's wrong.

That being said, maybe the state can get behind UConn hockey instead?

You can see why the NHL had a season and a half of a lockout. Getting an NHL team back in Hartford would not effect Uconn in any way if anything it would help them. Sports help out other sports, Jim Calhoun was on the Whalers board of trustees btw.

Reaction Score
The tend of suburban arenas has run its course. Most other new large arenas are being moved to downtowns like KC, DC or Brooklyn. So Malloy wants one in the suburbs. Brilliant.

Reaction Score
Even if the NHL wanted to expand/relocate unpopular southern teams, I just don't see how Hartford could be even a top-5 option. Just think of the other cities that could support a team better than Hartford...

Quebec
Seattle
Hamilton
Toronto
Portland
Milwaukee

Reaction Score
You can see why the NHL had a season and a half of a lockout. Getting an NHL team back in Hartford would not effect Uconn in any way if anything it would help them. Sports help out other sports, Jim Calhoun was on the Whalers board of trustees btw.

There is always a limited supply of wealth willing to buy season tickets. Granted, UConn hockey tix should be relatively cheap, but the NHL is a huge investment of both time and money.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
UConn to the Big 10 will happen before the NHL returns to Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Sounds like due diligence to explore ways to boost the economy. Big gap between talking about it and getting a team.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I remember Roland said he wanted the Patriots to come to CT, then we ended up with a 35k capacity stadium in East Hartford...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Even if the NHL wanted to expand/relocate unpopular southern teams, I just don't see how Hartford could be even a top-5 option. Just think of the other cities that could support a team better than Hartford...

Quebec
Seattle
Hamilton
Toronto
Portland
Milwaukee

Quebec and maybe Hamilton would be number one and two but the rest have about the same chance as Hartford.
Toronto has a team you know the Maple Leafs

Reaction Score
A) Never gonna happen: NHL not interested plus with the way this guy is taxing the CT citizens they will not be able to support a franchise.
B) this fool needs to spend time on more important issues facing the state's economy

Reaction Score
this fool needs to spend time on more important issues facing the state's economy

Are you aware of how many hockey fans vote? He's compartmentalizing votes.

Reaction Score
And not necessarily in Hartford. But it sounds very unlikely:

NY Post -Hartford fighting for its hockey habit
Courant (same story)- Report: Malloy Chasing NHL

So... what if this doesn't work? What does it mean for UConn and the XL?

and I want Angelina Jolie to sit on my face, and that has about as much chance of happening.....

What crazy talk. Maybe the guy should concentrate on, oh I dunno, the State's budget or something crazy like that.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If they build nice new arena around Hartford then CT has half a shot. That's the trend now. It's how Winnipeg got a team and how Oklahoma City got an NBA team. It's why the Islanders moved to Barclay's.

It's a gamble though... and probably one that wont happen given mouth breathers like CTEagle and the state of the current economy.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Scott Grey and Jeff Jacobs must be on Malloy's advisory board.

Reaction Score
If they build nice new arena around Hartford then CT has half a shot. That's the trend now. It's how Winnipeg got a team and how Oklahoma City got an NBA team. It's why the Islanders moved to Barclay's.

It's a gamble though... and probably one that wont happen given mouth breathers like CTEagle and the state of the current economy.

This is true, but the flip side of the coin is the Copps Arena in Hamilton Ontario.

Reaction Score
The NHL needs to contract to 24 teams and relocate 1-2 teams to Quebec and/or Greater Toronto or Hamilton. I'd get rid of or relocate Miami, Nashville, Carolina, Phoenix, Anaheim, Islanders or Devils, Columbus, Buffalo.

Reaction Score
The NHL would rather relocate to new markets than contract. I'd be cool with having the Whalers back. But this time, call them the Connecticut Whalers.

Buffalo is not moving. (You serious?) Neither are the Devils or the Islanders. Predators are well supported. Columbus could succeed if they had solid management.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We need a new arena, but if it's not in Hartford why bother?

Reaction Score
The NHL would rather relocate to new markets than contract. I'd be cool with having the Whalers back. But this time, call them the Connecticut Whalers.

Buffalo is not moving. (You serious?) Neither are the Devils or the Islanders. Predators are well supported. Columbus could succeed if they had solid management.

Contraction means better quality of play and more revenue for each team (presuming TV contract stays the same) and more games against/between the original six. But think you are right that it's not really in their agenda.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

CT might have had a shot at either the Devils or the Islanders before their arena situations got drastically better. Not now though.

Reaction Score
Hockey will never suceed in Ct.
I remember going to games with the Bruins were half the crowd wore black and gold.
While at least for two periods. (most were trown out by the third)
I saw where the Phoenix Cayotes we actually making money during the lockout.
They are still getting revenue from somewhere but have little expenses.
Theres a plan.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The NHL needs to contract to 24 teams and relocate 1-2 teams to Quebec and/or Greater Toronto or Hamilton. I'd get rid of or relocate Miami, Nashville, Carolina, Phoenix, Anaheim, Islanders or Devils, Columbus, Buffalo.

Get rid of the Devils? Come on man.

Not only are they just about the most successful team over the past 20 seasons, they just moved into a beautiful new arena.

Just like our UConn Huskies Football program, the New Jersey Devils are relatively young as a franchise and while older NJ residents that grew up Flyer, Ranger or Islander fans are shrinking, the majority of people that grew up with Brodeur and winning the cups are Devils fans.

I mean, damn, we were just in the Stanley Cup Finals last season!

By the looks of your name, 'UConnNYC' I'm going to guess you're just a bitter Rangers fan! (Just playing around!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom