New 2015 Commit - Dario Highsmith Jr (Ath) - Middletown HS CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New 2015 Commit - Dario Highsmith Jr (Ath) - Middletown HS CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Setting a great example for future in-state kids.
I disagree with this sentiment. These kids don't owe anything to this state or this program. If they want to go to UConn with or without a scholarship, fantastic. I respect the guys willing to walk-on, but there's no way I would respect him less for choosing Army. I'd argue that a commitment not only to the Black Knights Football program, but also to serve our country in the the U.S. Army is an even better example for in-state kids than choosing to walk-on at UConn.

Reaction Score
It is great he chose UCONN!! If I'm being honest, I was hoping he would go to Yale. Yale is YALE. That said....Welcome to Husky Nation!!

Reaction Score
Glad he chose us. Sounds like a great kid if Army and Yale want you in addition to us, as they value full package of athletic skills, grades and character. Hope he performs wells and ends out earning a scholarship in next year or two

Reaction Score
Having read most of your comments I suddently remember the bad taste in my mouth when meeting the usual in-State Uconn student- all which they were at Yale. Do you really believe that a D1 FB student will be getting a better educ at .... over Conn? Much of this is just petty boug./intellectual crop. If he has an offer/acceptance from Army it because he applied there and saw it as an alt. to the regular univ. That is, he would like to be an officer. Does he have an offer fr Yale? Obviously Uconn doesnot think he should be given a full scolarship. I may add that many non-athlete students have turned down offers from Ivy schools to attend state schools. Of course they are probably not from Conn.

Reaction Score
Having read most of your comments I suddently remember the bad taste in my mouth when meeting the usual in-State Uconn student- all which they were at Yale. Do you really believe that a D1 FB student will be getting a better educ at .... over Conn? Much of this is just petty boug./intellectual crop. If he has an offer/acceptance from Army it because he applied there and saw it as an alt. to the regular univ. That is, he would like to be an officer. Does he have an offer fr Yale? Obviously Uconn doesnot think he should be given a full scolarship. I may add that many non-athlete students have turned down offers from Ivy schools to attend state schools. Of course they are probably not from Conn.
What on earth are you talking about? I've read your post a couple of times now and I still don't have the faintest idea what you're trying to say.

Reaction Score
It's not for the faint of heart, but 27k is 27k. And that's what it will cost him for the first year at UConn in-state. And that's assuming that he gets a scholly in year 2. If not, the math gets even harder. I don't know what his family situation is like, as to whether or not they can stomach that. But if they can't, the Army scholly starts to look really pretty...

As a former army officer (not West Point), I would caution the young man to think this thing through very, very carefully. West Point involves a nine-year commitment; four years of school followed by five-years of active duty. Additionally, there are three-years in the reserves. You do get an incredible education on Uncle Sugar's tab including, if it hasn't changed, monthly pay equal to an enlisted E-5. The army is simultaneously rewarding, perplexing, confusing, fun and downright frightening. For the right person, it will seem like the most appropriate job in the world. I would not trade my three years (0ne enlisted, two commissioned) for anything but my family. It's where I and others of my generation grew-up.

But it ain't for everyone. The ticky-tacky rules/regulations, the rigidity and binary/black or white/good or evil nature of the organization can, at times, make for a difficult grind. Most importantly, starting with Vietnam, the reasons fat, old white guys want to send our youth into harm's way don't always seem worth the cost in KIA's/WIA's.

So yeah, I'd tell the young man to think this thing through and be damn sure.

Reaction Score
Given he is a preferred walk-on the Kid needs his head examined not to go to Yale...Its not like the kid will likely be playing on Sundays.

Reaction Score
Wish we would have offered him but like Jim said, no hard feelings. Can't blame him for taking the free education.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Uggh.

If the coaching staff believed that this kid could help us, then he really should have been offered a scholly. I'm guessing this move is solely based on money, which I can't blame the kid for. CT Gatorade Player of the Year with great speed, and we just let him walk away...

Reaction Score
I would trust a college evaluator over the boneyard. I saw him play, and he is a good high school player. Didn't stand out as large or incredibly fast. He should take the scholly, but the thought of owing army 5 years of service is scary.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Damn! No more people claiming this kid could and possibly should be on the depth chart at QB?!? Nooooo! :D

Good luck to this kid. Going to Army is no joke....

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Uggh. If the coaching staff believed that this kid could help us, then he really should have been offered a scholly. I'm guessing this move is solely based on money, which I can't blame the kid for. CT Gatorade Player of the Year with great speed, and we just let him walk away...
Not just money. The service academies are factories for the elite. Produce ceo's and pillars of society by the truckload. I'd have given a nut to attend any of those schools.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wish him luck but hope he gets bed bugs and maybe rickets.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not just money. The service academies are factories for the elite. Produce ceo's and pillars of society by the truckload. I'd have given a nut to attend any of those schools.

You think it had nothing to do with school being paid in full? I disagree 100%. The kid had a chance to go to Yale, too, but not for free. If you are asking me which school produces CEOs and is the factory of the elite, well...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You think it had nothing to do with school being paid in full? I disagree 100%. The kid had a chance to go to Yale, too, but not for free. If you are asking me which school produces CEOs and is the factory of the elite, well...

Yale wanted him to prep a year before heading there. So this was a no brainer for him

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Pretty sure I said not "just" money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99