Never ending Jonathan/logo debate | The Boneyard

Never ending Jonathan/logo debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nike’s contract with UConn ends on June 30th of this year. Just thinking, what an ideal time to win a National Championship. The current contract is 7 years/$32.4M, not bad but there have been some humongous school brand deals in the last few years that I think UConn is also worthy of. I hope Nike agrees and pays some big bucks to renew.
Rebrand back to the White Husky. That’s what we wrote during this championship run anyway.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
361411A6-E60A-4A50-9E6D-B55F482D928E.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
I refuse to buy any gear with the new husky on it. The white husky should be the only husky even if it’s not technically a Husky.
Except that white Huskies are in fact a thing, and we had one on campus as our mascot for eight decades prior to the last rebranding effort. I have stuff with the old logo and the new logo, but as a matter of marketing, having a unique brand, which the white husky is, is always preferable to having a generic brand.

CL82

Reaction Score
I like this logo and it was in use for the vast majority of our success. It was a more stylized version of this one:

1681061253454.png

Not that I want to go down this rabbit hole, but some people will complain that it’s “too fluffy” others will complain that it’s “too friendly”. Personally, I say it wasn’t too fluffy or too friendly for five national championships. (Yes, I realize that 2014 had the blue wolf logo, but it was using players developed under the all white husky.)

Seriously, though, for me, the quarter turn rather than a straight on or profile shot is unique to us. And unique is good in marketing. Plus, returning to the eight decade, long tradition of having an all white husky as our mascot is a good branding move. Want to make it “less fluffy” and “angry”? Fine with me. But we need to go back to our tradition.

CL82

Reaction Score
Grown man throwing a tantrum because he doesn’t like which cartoon dog is on the tee shirts.
LOL, that wasn’t even close to what meets the standard of a tantrum on this board. In any event, it kind of feels like he’s trying to redeem himself from the “fire Hurley’s” debacle. I appreciate that.

Reaction Score
I refuse to buy any gear with the new husky on it. The white husky should be the only husky even if it’s not technically a Husky.
I like the new husky almost as much as the old, but I still think it was a bad call to ditch the old logo. If you look at big brand teams, they don't throw out logos they've had for decades, especially when the old logo became iconic and associated with their success. The Jayhawk is a perfect example. Minor tweaks over the years, doesn't look mean (apparently ours wasn't mean enough), and Kansas football even underwent a revival with it.

Nike just wanted to sell more gear when they made that deal with us, and I'm frankly amazed there wasn't more pushback.

If you want proof of how important our origins and tradition are, just look at how often the men were wearing the throwbacks in the home stretch of the season and throughout the tourney. I don't think it's a coincidence we were wearing throwbacks for the title game.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I like this logo and it was in use for the vast majority of our success. It was a more stylized version of this one:

View attachment 87155

Not that I want to go down this rabbit hole, but some people will complain that it’s “too fluffy” others will complain that it’s “too friendly”. Personally, I say it wasn’t too fluffy or too friendly for five national championships. (Yes, I realize that 2014 had the blue wolf logo, but it was using players developed under the all white husky.)

Seriously, though, for me, the quarter turn rather than a straight on or profile shot is unique to us. And unique is good in marketing. Plus, returning to the eight decade, long tradition of having an all white husky as our mascot is a good branding move. Want to make it “less fluffy” and “angry”? Fine with me. But we need to go back to our tradition.

The logo in your post is the best and definitive UConn Husky. I don't love the 00s fluffy Husky, particularly with the red tongue like @CTBasketball posted above.

I go: your logo, the all blue/white updated husky ( below), wolf/current husky , then the one CT basketball one.

Screenshot_20230409-134721-499.png

CL82

Reaction Score
No problem with the logos but our mascot wears mascara. Who decided our mascot should be Tammy Faye baker?
Figured I would take this topic way off the rails
Thank you. I’m not a big fan of the mascara husky either.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
LOL, that wasn’t even close to what meets the standard of a tantrum on this board. In any event, it kind of feels like he’s trying to redeem himself from the “fire Hurley’s” debacle. I appreciate that.
Wasn’t a tantrum. I actually like the new Jonathan but I don’t like the new logo at all and will purchase items with the old logo when I buy UConn gear.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score

View attachment 87155

Agree.
Bought this a couple weeks ago from Fanatics.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
image.jpeg

This is a Samoyed.

image.jpeg

This is a Husky.

Both are beautiful dogs. My wife had a Samoyed growing up. She'd laugh every time she saw the old logos being described as Huskies.

Me. I don't care what logo we go with. If someone wants us to change the logo to the ugliest dog in the world and paid UConn big $$ to do so I'd consider it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Grown man throwing a tantrum because he doesn’t like which cartoon dog is on the tee shirts.

He isn't mad about it. Please do not print on the internet that he is mad about it!
Personally, I say it wasn’t too fluffy or too friendly for five national championships. (Yes, I realize that 2014 had the blue wolf logo, but it was using players developed under the all white husky.)

The players were not developed under the logo jfc come to reality

Reaction Score
It’s officially the off season when arguments about our mascot begin.

Personally, I like how they are using both logos.

Would be cool if we threw in the sad husky dog on an alternative grey or black uniform (throw out the DePaul looking ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom