Need to change the starting line-up | The Boneyard

Need to change the starting line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We have to take Omar out and put Giffey in. Omar is struggling to find his role on this team. Let's make him the Gwynn-type SG in a 3-guard rotation. Boat and Bazz can run the show when he's in there. Let him just work on hitting shots and D-ing up on guys his own size until he gets his sea legs. Niels is working harder, he's hitting the glass on both ends. We need this on a reboundingly challenged team. I also think Gif will thrive knowing he'll get certain minutes. He deserves it based on effort and production.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i would like to see this type of rotation

start boat, bazz, dd, nolan, olander and bring in gif, omar, wolf and evans when healthy.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

start boat, bazz, dd, nolan, olander and bring in gif, omar, wolf and evans when healthy.

Agreed, especially with respect to Calhoun...he forces things too much still and takes the offense out of its flow.

Reaction Score
Wolf has had 1 good game in 45 @ UConn. Think it's a fluke and can't even take playing him as an option. Rather see more minutes for Nolan.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only two guys that are a "given" are RB and SN. With the rest of the players KO has to do an incredible juggling act.

TO is the starting five only because EW and Nolan can't make the case to start over him. The three are foul prone or unable to grab a rebound so KO needs all of them to be available for the five.

DD is the starting four. You can argue NG to start in DD's place but I wouldn't. With DD lacks confidence, it's best not to have him sub in because that would worsen his confidence. NG on the other hand handles that role very well. Furthermore, with RE injured NG will be rotated in the three spot if DD stays out of foul trouble. My biggest knock with NG's play is he has trouble boxing out. UConn actually limited SB to four times in which SB got multiple offensive rebounds. In three of those four situations NG failed to box out.

OC was a liability on offense and defense. But I like KO developing him. If UConn is going to have a decent showing in the BE either OC or DD will have to develop into a scoring threat to help SN and RB, and my bet is that OC will be the more likely candidate.

Definitely could have used RJ in this game.

Reaction Score
We have to take Omar out and put Giffey in. Omar is struggling to find his role on this team. Let's make him the Gwynn-type SG in a 3-guard rotation. Boat and Bazz can run the show when he's in there. Let him just work on hitting shots and D-ing up on guys his own size until he gets his sea legs. Niels is working harder, he's hitting the glass on both ends. We need this on a reboundingly challenged team. I also think Gif will thrive knowing he'll get certain minutes. He deserves it based on effort and production.
Ollie and the coaching staff see these guys in practice everyday so I trust their judgement. We may see different lineups depending upon who we are playing but you can count on Olander starting because there is nobody else unless you want to start a 190lb. Nolan at the 5.I've always been a Giffey fan but we are going to need Omar play if we have any chance of having a good season.

Reaction Score
You invest in potential, and that is what Ollie is doing by playing Omar now. Neils is better than him at this point, but his ceiling is a lot lower.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You invest in potential, and that is what Ollie is doing by playing Omar now. Neils is better than him at this point, but his ceiling is a lot lower.

At this point, investing in UConn staying ranked and relevant through our APR year and Ollie's trial season is a better move. We need to show recruits we'll still be a major program. OC will be here for three more years, and there is plenty of time to learn in practice and as a sub. Meanwhile Neils is a talented kid who needs some confidence. His big game yesterday would probably be closer to his average game if he just got consistent minutes instead of only playing 2-3 minutes at a time.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
At this point, investing in UConn staying ranked and relevant through our APR year and Ollie's trial season is a better move. We need to show recruits we'll still be a major program. OC will be here for three more years, and there is plenty of time to learn in practice and as a sub. Meanwhile Neils is a talented kid who needs some confidence. His big game yesterday would probably be closer to his average game if he just got consistent minutes instead of only playing 2-3 minutes at a time.

This is very true. This isn't a typical season where you take your lumps the beginning of the year so you are better in the tourney. The games now matter just as much as the games in Feb. Need to stay relevant all season because UConn's name won't be out there in March. Neils should start and let OC play the freshman Ray Allen role off the bench.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Neils does not lack confidence imo. He is an energy player off the bench. I like his role. And now with RJ out KO will have to juggle the line ups even more. NG will be important in this role. If DD gets into foul trouble and NG starts and gets into foul trouble the team will really struggle.

No one is arguing about UConn staying visible all season. I disagree with you about the manner to achieve this. Development of all the players at this stage of the season is the way I would handle things. Otherwise the BE will chew up this team and your point will be moot. You are presupposing OC cannot develop over the course of the season. I actually see his development to be similar to JL his freshman year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Of course, Omar should get plenty of minutes. I don't think he deserves to start right now.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I like Giffey coming off the bench. We need someone who can come in and make an impact rather than a flat bench that does little more than give starters a chance to rest.

Reaction Score
My objection to this thread is ... STARTING LINEUP IS JUST NOT THAT BIG A DEAL.

Calhoun found roles for guys. That's what a good coach does as a Team develops. You find the fit & I actually like how Kevin Ollie has allowed these kids to play through dumb mistakes & go farther than JC would. I think as the 6 games have evolved, you are seeing some guys EARN greater roles. Giffey for sure. Evans will be needed. Confidence is growing with Calhoun/Daniels. But ... we have underlined the delicate balance this roster presents: Boatwright/Napier have play superb PLUS we need to neutralize our increasing exposure to Opponents killing us on the Offensive board. Get some games that both are going our way & we win some that we shouldn't.

Reaction Score
It would nice to see NG sustituted for OC in the starting lineup to help out our rebounding. I think their shooting ability at this point is pretty much even so the added defense and rebounding will help out the starting lineup.

H

Husk-E

After the past game, I would much rather bring in Giffey for Daniels then Calhoun, Daniels can be great I think but just needs some time to refine his game and figure out his role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom