ND vs FS | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ND vs FS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If she said that about someone who was not on her team, it would be a stupid quote. Anytime a coach compliments her own player when talking to the media, it is anything but stupid.
Agree. If Allen doesn't believe she's the best and Turner doesn't believe she's the best, then they have no chance against UCONN. She's showing her players she believes in them. Of course everyone else in the non-ND world knows better, but that really doesn't matter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Near enough for ND to bring their refs.
Portland is The Rose City. Chicago is The Windy City. Baltimore is Charm City. I think Indianapolis is known as Flop City. ;)

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
What exactly is she supposed to say, "Hey I'm the HC at ND, but the best players in the country play at Uconn and we don't have a chance-in-hell of actually beating them." Would that make you more sense? Nothing she said was stupid or anything any good HC wouldn't say. It'll all work itself out at the FF, as it usually does. Then they'll be no doubt!!

Reaction Score
A coach praising his/her player(s) in lofty terms is leadership; Let's the player know that he/she has faith in them.
When Coach Auriemma calls Rebecca Lobo the worst post player in the country, or berates a player with a comment like, "You got exactly one more rebound that a dead person," that is motivation.
A coach of a lower echelon team going up against UConn is not going to tell the team that they have no chance to win. They will scout, game plan, prepare, and practice with an eye toward a monumental upset.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Inquiring minds want to know. Skylar got a lot of camera time during the game last night at FSU, which means she was not in Storrs for Mini USA camp or was she? If she was/is not in Storrs does that eliminate the possibility of her making the Olympic team? If she does not make the team who chances does it increase?

Reaction Score
A coach praising his/her player(s) in lofty terms is leadership; Let's the player know that he/she has faith in them.When Coach Auriemma calls Rebecca Lobo the worst post player in the country, or berates a player with a comment like, "You got exactly one more rebound that a dead person," that is motivation.A coach of a lower echelon team going up against UConn is not going to tell the team that they have no chance to win. They will scout, game plan, prepare, and practice with an eye toward a monumental upset.
By spouting crazy hyperbole, Muffet is conceding that she has to say these things, precisely because no one believes them. When Geno made those comments to Rebecca, UConn was just starting out. Yet, he had the courage of his convictions to motivate her. Geno motivates with praise as well, but never, ever makes crazy claims; erring on the side of criticism. The world is a tough, tough place, and better to have your players fight to overcome expectations than to try to coast on them.

Reaction Score
Inquiring minds want to know. Skylar got a lot of camera time during the game last night at FSU, which means she was not in Storrs for Mini USA camp or was she? If she was/is not in Storrs does that eliminate the possibility of her making the Olympic team? If she does not make the team who chances does it increase?
I assume she's still recovering from her ACL.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with Florida State's overall play. But ND's ability with the 3 in the first half must have been discouraging. So many capable long ball shooters. Muffet has done an admirable job this year considering the Loyd disappointment. I think Ogun's good play has minimized the effect of Jewell's loss.

Florida State showed that they are a contender, but in the final analysis, neither team seems to have all the pieces necessary to beat UConn this year.

Reaction Score
She's talking up her players, which is reasonable. But if she really thinks that, she IS delusional. I think that Muffet gets pissy about UConn. I agree that the statement is silly. I'm not sure that Lindsay Allen is a top-5 PG.
Well-said...especially as pertains to the idea that Muffett, otherwise, in my opinion, fairly dignified as a coach and team spokesperson, cannot help but descend into pissiness where Geno and UConn are concerned. And really, who can blame her? One can put the proverbial lipstick on a pig, but, at heart, Muffett, like Geno, is kind of a Philly street fighter. Losing all the big ones to her arch-rival has to be brutally painful. She is a warrior at heart, and one has to admire the way she instills a warrior mentality into her players. She, alas, and they, have run into a fiercer set of warriors!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I assume she's still recovering from her ACL.

I (thought I) read that in one of the releases put out by the National Team that Skylar is not in camp because she is still rehabbing and Odyssey Sims is also not there so she can rest a knee injury. Don't know if that eliminates chances for making the team, but Sky hasn't played since that injury and time is running (more than) a little short, particularly for a player who has not been on this team, yet.

If Diggins (point guard) and Sims (shooting guard) cannot make it, it might open the way for someone like Courtney Vandersloot at point. As for shooting guard, gosh knows there's a lot of super talent there. Do you keep the status quo most intact or bring a newcomer in?

Reaction Score
FSU played a tough 2nd half but again, without Turner and Westbeld - talk about a mostly guard lineup. Looks like Maybrey and Ogunbowale are really coming into their own - and against good competition. Add in the kid who was injured this year (Patberg?) and the crew coming in next year and ND should remain right at the very top (IMHO along with Baylor, UCONN, Texas and possibly SC and L'ville)...
Ogunbowale can certainly ignite but two things a) her shooting percentage (not bad mind you) is comparable to that of courtney williams and I think both tend to be gunners and b) I don't think she's playing within the system that Muffet is most comfortable but given she lights things up I think Muffet let's it go.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ogunbowale can certainly ignite but two things a) her shooting percentage (not bad mind you) is comparable to that of courtney williams and I think both tend to be gunners and b) I don't think she's playing within the system that Muffet is most comfortable but given she lights things up I think Muffet let's it go.

On the subject of shooting percentages, she is shooting 45.0% overall and 43.5% from 3 during conference play. She has the highest 3-point percentage on the team in conference play. Her overall field goal percentage is basically identical to Cable's and better than both Mabreys.

She does shoot a lot. She leads the team in field goals attempted during conference play but she's also shooting it better than any of the other 3 players in ND's wing rotation, so I don't really think it's a problem.

In press conferences, Muffet has said that she wants Arike to be aggressive because the team needs it and the rest of the team is perhaps too willing to pass up on their own shot.

Reaction Score
Indianapolis again? Seems like the final four is there every few years. What's so great about Indianapolis in early April? Or any time of year for that matter?
It is nicknamed nap-town for a reason! But seriously, don't come to the FF! Don't support any event in Indiana, the hater state. Last year laws were passed to allow discrimination if hidden behind the guise of religious freedom. The governor proudly signed it flanked by a bevy of bigots. This year in an attempt to rectify this legalized hatred, the state senate could not even get a bill out of committee to protect basic rights for all people.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like Arike's aggressiveness, but I'd like to see her a bit more selective. The treys she took last night were open and the right shot. She takes the ball to the hoop off the dribble more than she should, in my opinion. And her shooting percentage suffers because of it. Lots of players overdo it.

Reaction Score
A little disappointed in FSU's big girls. I thought they'd be tougher than they played!
FSU has more talent than they showed.
FSU not ready for prime-time action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member