ND vrs UNC | The Boneyard

ND vrs UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame dominated the first half. UNC playing them even in the second half.

UNC youth shows in fouls and turnovers.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame dominated the first half. UNC playing them even in the second half.

UNC youth shows in fouls and turnovers.

Notre Dame playing well, but defense is a foreign concept to UNC.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
ND puts up 100 against the great UNC defense. :rolleyes:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
OT: but not worth a separate thread:

UTenn finally started a game senza sleep-walking and are doing it to LSU

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
One semi-oddity from ND-UNC game. DeShields takes by far the most shots for UNC at 18, only 3 are threes, but she does not get any FTAs of the Heels' 20. And this isn't new for DD, as she is fourth on the team in FTAs although she's taken 140 more shots than any other Heel. Like KML she is not very adept at getting herself fouled.

Certainly a great night for ND on the line with 34 FTAs. They are starting to get back to their old ways very well after a somewhat subdued first half of the season for foul collections.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
msf22b said:
OT: but not worth a separate thread:

UTenn finally started a game senza sleep-walking and are doing it to LSU

Don't look now ....LSU within 2 at the 4:;23 mark

Edit: tied at 59 with 2:20 remaining

LVs salting it away at the line. Up 6 late. Dagnabbit :)

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
just dont understand the big deal of UNC scoring 75... when they other team puts up a buck.

btw UConn had 114

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
just dont understand the big deal of UNC scoring 75... when they other team puts up a buck.

btw UConn had 114
It's all about trying to see who has an advantage.

Both teams can score against anyone. But Uconn seems to have the advantage defensively and posters like to point that out.

Reaction Score
Meaning 75 are a lot of points to give up if your the #2 team in the country.

Points allowed is not a good measure of defense, since points are very much a function of pace of play. In this game, each team had an extremely high 86 possessions. Allowing 75 points on 86 possessions (i.e. 0.87 points per possession) is actually quite good if facing a good team. UConn gave up a lot more points than that against Louisville and about the same against Duke.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Graham Hays with a good write-up on the game.

"They're so good at cutting with speed, a lot like UConn -- a lot like UConn," North Carolina interim coach Andrew Calder said. "They'll cut with speed and just slip and go. They do a great job reading that; you saw the backdoors, you saw the slips on the screens. They just do an outstanding job of taking advantage of your mistakes defensively."

One team looked like it was following a scouting report to the letter. The other looked like it overslept for class.

LINK

Reaction Score
I didn't see the game but looking at the stats it mostly looks like ND's defense was fine. UNCs field goal percentage was low, 39% and they shot below 30% from 3. The only stat that jumps out as a negative for ND is 19 turnovers. Guessing the game was a bit helter skelter as UNC had 20 turnovers too.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Graham Hays with a good write-up on the game.

One team looked like it was following a scouting report to the letter. The other looked like it overslept for class.

LINK

It's my understanding that at one school, you don't even have to go to class.... :rolleyes:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Points allowed is not a good measure of defense, since points are very much a function of pace of play. In this game, each team had an extremely high 86 possessions. Allowing 75 points on 86 possessions (i.e. 0.87 points per possession) is actually quite good if facing a good team. UConn gave up a lot more points than that against Louisville and about the same against Duke.
Well, you can pull out any stat to justify something, but the "lot more points" is just your own perception, especially when you don't want to provide the stats for what your saying. Going by the old possession measure tends to give a break to teams if they don't rebound that well in a game. And personally, I think both Duke back in November and Louisville more recently are better teams than a wild freshman-based UNC whose coach admitted is a team whose defense can be picked apart by a good offensive squad. Neither Louisville or Duke way back fall in that category, and I'd put UConn's defense a mite or million so better than UNC's. Statistically on defense UConn is way ahead of any other team on scoring and FG% defense and ND is not even in top 50, though any one game can have different results.

Here's some other measures for you, points versus shots ratio in the two teams' battles with a top conference rival. ND gave up 75 points on 71 shots against UNC, more than a point a shot. UConn gave up 64 points on 65 shots versus Louisville, less than a point a shot. UNC shot 39% versus the 36% that Louisville put up against UConn.

I'm not saying that either of those stats showed that UConn's defense against Louisville was a lot better than ND's against UNC, but they are some indicators that your "lot more points" view about the UConn defense can be seen in other ways too.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Oregon had 68 against UConn
68 points on 88 shots is not a huge amount, in fact it's abysmally low, especially for a team that averages 93 points a game. That's 25 under the average. ND did a decent job last night holding UNC almost 8 points under its average. Recently UConn held Louisville more than 17 points under their average. Lot of ways to look at these numbers.

Reaction Score
One semi-oddity from ND-UNC game. DeShields takes by far the most shots for UNC at 18, only 3 are threes, but she does not get any FTAs of the Heels' 20. And this isn't new for DD, as she is fourth on the team in FTAs although she's taken 140 more shots than any other Heel. Like KML she is not very adept at getting herself fouled.

Certainly a great night for ND on the line with 34 FTAs. They are starting to get back to their old ways very well after a somewhat subdued first half of the season for foul collections.
The majority of Diamond's shots are pull up jumpers and off the dribble 3s.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The majority of Diamond's shots are pull up jumpers and off the dribble 3s.
Yeah, and when they're going down, it's great, but she'll need to find ways to draw the foul better going forward, because she isn't always shooting 40-50%. For Sims, she can shoot 30% and still go for 35 points by cashing in at the FT line. Fortunately DD has three good FG-shooting teammates in Mavunga, Gray, and McDaniel that do get the FTAs, though only Gray can be relied on to sink them.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The article paid homage to Natalie's 24 points. What does UConn do
in Championship game to hold her to 8 or 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom