ND moves to #2 in USA coaches poll | The Boneyard

ND moves to #2 in USA coaches poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I agree that Notre Dame is probably the second best team in the nation at this point, but I found the coaches' poll surprising. Last week, Notre Dame and Stanford were tied for 4th. Since that vote, the Cardinal won a home game against Tennessee while the Irish won a home game against Central Michigan, but somehow Notre Dame is ranked higher than Stanford? Weird.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd imagine ND over Stanford is by virtue of being undefeated against a decent schedule. True, Stanford's sole loss was to the consensus #1 team, but losing by 19 is enough to sway voters to push Stanford down below #2. The Irish kind of ended up there by default.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor now has 6 games scheduled against top 13 opponents: UK, UCONN, ISU x 2, OSU x 2, plus two meetings vs top 25 OSU. their schedule suddenly doesn't look nearly was weak.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So if we beat ND by 19 then they and Stanford are tied ? (I know, we're not competing this regular season).

Amazing how far a 1-point loss in the Garden to an un-ranked but dangerous team can mess up your ranking
Texas A&M has completely disappeared from view; not a single, solitary vote in either poll.

Wow!

If that last, desperation heave would have gone in (before the buzzer), they'd still be in the top-25.

By the way St. John's is dangerous, they should have won by 10 or 15 but couldn't get out of their own way

Merry Christmas, happy Holidays

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Baylor now has 6 games scheduled against top 13 opponents: UK, UCONN, ISU x 2, OSU x 2, plus two meetings vs top 25 OSU. their schedule suddenly doesn't look nearly was weak.
No, it still really sucks.

Iowa State and Oklahoma State have played a worse schedule than Baylor!

Oklahoma might be back out of the top 25.

That Uconn team is not bad.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Baylor has 8 games against top 25 teams. Ucon has 7?
Uconn (note the two n's) has played and is scheduled to play 8 top 25 teams.

But as we all know, not all top 25 teams are equal.

Uconn - 2,3,7,7,8,9,13,21

Baylor - 1,5,11,11,14,14,25,25

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Its still weak... if UNC has a tougher schedule than you... then you definitely know its weak

That's awfully sassy talk for a fan of a team that just got its ass dusted at home by UCONN. Hopefully your tougher schedule will allow you to stay within 25 to 30 of UCONN on a neutral court when you meet in the Final Four. You will be in the FF, again this year, right?

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
That's awfully sassy talk for a fan of a team that just got its ass dusted at home by UCONN. Hopefully your tougher schedule will allow you to stay within 25 to 30 of UCONN on a neutral court when you meet in the Final Four. You will be in the FF, again this year, right?

You guys need to huddle under the mistletoe!

. . . and to all, a Good Night!

Reaction Score
Something I love about the Boneyard: where else can you go to find a Big 12 conference team's fan roasting an ACC conference team's fan for sassing yet another ACC team even though UConn is in neither of the conferences. It feels a bit like Switzerland, and -- much as we tease them at times, these "foreign" presences enrich many of our discussions. Thanks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You guys need to huddle under the mistletoe!

. . . and to all, a Good Night!

bear-how-about-no_thumbnail.jpg

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, I (and some other posters) suggested that irrespective of some of the hype associated with other programs like Duke and Maryland, ND had the second best roster going into the season along with the second best coach. Too much emphasis was being placed by others on the impact that Skylar's departure would have on their chances, and that the combination of their returning stars, especially McBride and Achonwa, along with maturation of last season's Freshmen and a good incoming recruiting class added up to a still-potent combination. One of the more frequent and, in his apparent estimation, unassailable posters on this Board consistently demurred, questioning who would be available to play point guard for them. I will grant that playing the point is a tall order for any Freshman, irrespective of her prospects on paper, but this team, overall, is too talented and too well-coached not to make a serious run. Assuming we are on opposite sides of the brackets, I have always expected that we will play them in the NC game...and that they will make a contest of it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, I (and some other posters) suggested that irrespective of some of the hype associated with other programs like Duke and Maryland, ND had the second best roster going into the season along with the second best coach. Too much emphasis was being placed by others on the impact that Skylar's departure would have on their chances, and that the combination of their returning stars, especially McBride and Achonwa, along with maturation of last season's Freshmen and a good incoming recruiting class added up to a still-potent combination. One of the more frequent and, in his apparent estimation, unassailable posters on this Board consistently demurred, questioning who would be available to play point guard for them. I will grant that playing the point is a tall order for any Freshman, irrespective of her prospects on paper, but this team, overall, is too talented and too well-coached not to make a serious run. Assuming we are on opposite sides of the brackets, I have always expected that we will play them in the NC game...and that they will make a contest of it.
There are no unassailable posters on this board. Probably more that are assailable. Some you can abbreviate that word and be quite accurate.

I don't know if you are right or wrong. We will all know more after they play Tennessee, Maryland and Duke in a 12 day span from January 20th-February 2nd.

Their top three players are as good as any other three players on any team not named Uconn. Achonwa, McBride and Loyd will perform at a high level against any team. It's the rest of the team that hasn't proven themselves against high ranked teams.

Heck, if they win 2 of 3 and look good doing it, I'll be convinced.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There are no unassailable posters on this board. Probably more that are assailable. Some you can abbreviate that word and be quite accurate.

Nan, JS, Biff: File this comment under the heading of PRICELESS QUOTES!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Something I love about the Boneyard: where else can you go to find a Big 12 conference team's fan roasting an ACC conference team's fan for sassing yet another ACC team even though UConn is in neither of the conferences. It feels a bit like Switzerland, and -- much as we tease them at times, these "foreign" presences enrich many of our discussions. Thanks.

LOL...classic.

Reaction Score
I agree that Notre Dame is probably the second best team in the nation at this point, but I found the coaches' poll surprising. Last week, Notre Dame and Stanford were tied for 4th. Since that vote, the Cardinal won a home game against Tennessee while the Irish won a home game against Central Michigan, but somehow Notre Dame is ranked higher than Stanford? Weird.
Notre Dame is undefeated (for now).

Reaction Score
OMG> Baylor has the biggest cupcake schedule of any top 10 team. I will be in Waco in a few weeks to see UConn end their home win streak.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
OMG> Baylor has the biggest cupcake schedule of any top 10 team. I will be in Waco in a few weeks to see UConn end their home win streak.

How many games against top 25 teams does UCONN have on its schedule? I counted 7. And Cal shouldn't even be counted as they were without two starters.

I have no doubt that you will end BU's streak, and I'm good with that. The best team will win, as it should be.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How many games against top 25 teams does UCONN have on its schedule? I counted 7. And Cal shouldn't even be counted as they were without two starters.

I have no doubt that you will end BU's streak, and I'm good with that. The best team will win, as it should be.
8. You miscounted the first time. And you can drop Oklahoma from your list. They are no top 25 team either.

To date, Baylor has had a very weak schedule no matter how you spin it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
doggydaddy said:
8. You miscounted the first time. And you can drop Oklahoma from your list. They are no top 25 team either. To date, Baylor has had a very weak schedule no matter how you spin it.
. Baylor was unlucky to lose to Kentucky. It was no fluke the 'Cats lost to Duke. Turn on the tube and put Duke on, and watch 'em lose to Uconn. And UConn from that game they were clearly too good for Baylor.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
. Baylor was unlucky to lose to Kentucky. It was no fluke the 'Cats lost to Duke. Turn on the tube and put Duke on, and watch 'em lose to Uconn. And UConn from that game they were clearly too good for Baylor.

I agree that UCONN is too good for Baylor, but I take solace that UCONN is too good for everyone. However, IMO, Baylor can play with everyone else, including Duke, Stanford and ND.

To intimate that UConn's schedule is far superior to Baylor's schedule is silliness, though. Now, throw the schedule of one of the ACC's teams up for comparison and you have us beat by a long shot.

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I agree that UCONN is too good for Baylor, but I take solace that UCONN is too good for everyone. However, IMO, Baylor can play with everyone else, including Duke, Stanford and ND.

To intimate that UConn's schedule is far superior to Baylor's schedule is silliness, though. Now, throw the schedule of one of the ACC's teams up for comparison and you have us beat by a long shot.
True, but if you believe in the transitive property, upcoming game results to the fans it gives properly.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
True, but if you believe in the transitive property, upcoming game results to the fans it gives properly.
I think he has me on ignore, or just doesn't have an answer when I point out how wrong he is about Baylor vs Uconn schedule.

It's not even close.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Duke beat UK by 8 with UK's leading scorer and second leading rebounder out of the game, thus, I believe that Baylor, playing without a now-starter in Prince, having lost to UK in 4 OTs, when UK was at full strength, would compete well with Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom