NCAAW Outdraw NCAAM | The Boneyard

NCAAW Outdraw NCAAM

Reaction Score
Now do the demo.

And games without Clark.

It is a shame that less than half that number is going to watch the UConn win title number 12. A full dozen more than Iowa.

Reaction Score
The Women's game has always been more entertaining as they play a better game of BB. Take away the men's " DUNK " and the game is boring. 7'2", 7'1", 6'10" and so on, makes Men's scoring a joke. My opinion.

Reaction Score
The Women's game has always been more entertaining as they play a better game of BB. Take away the men's " DUNK " and the game is boring. 7'2", 7'1", 6'10" and so on, makes Men's scoring a joke. My opinion.
The UConn men run great offense, play tough defense and are extremely entertaining. They remind me of some of Geno's teams from the past the way they move and share the basketball. The only issue I have with the women's game is there isn't a lot of athleticism, but they are getting better. Also, the talent in the women's game is starting to get spread out more, which is a good thing.

Reaction Score
I don’t agree that the women’s games are more entertaining. They’re both fine the way they are. Geno has advocated for lowering the Women’s hoop. Would you still watch if that happens? The games are certainly different because of dunks vs no dunks (except very rare occasions). Personally I like both games with the 10’ rims.

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges. ABC has massively wider audience outreach than TNT. 3PM (EDT) / Noon (PDT) vs 9:30ishPM (EDT) tip-offs. Disparate, if compelling stores, a generational superstar vs. #1 undefeated. Two superstar big men and a would-be repeat champion.

Better I think to see the bigger picture: There's enormous audience engagement driving financial revenues for both offerings. Gender cannot be a consideration, financially or otherwise, against event significance for broadcasting sports - all sports (basketball, soccer, tennis, whatever) - to the public.

Reaction Score
The UConn men run great offense, play tough defense and are extremely entertaining. They remind me of some of Geno's teams from the past the way they move and share the basketball. The only issue I have with the women's game is there isn't a lot of athleticism, but they are getting better. Also, the talent in the women's game is starting to get spread out more, which is a good thing.
But talented CBB men rarely remain for more than a year, possibly two, before decamping for the pros. Women's CBB players remain on their teams, or at least in college somewhere else after a transfer, for four years. So we get great teams, rising dynasties, and tremendous rivalries. All that makes for riveting viewing.

So while the women outdrew the men, the new TV contract has women's basketball earning less than a tenth of what the men will receive. And that is obscene. Sounds as though the NCAA is creaming the Big Bucks out of the women's game. Still.

Reaction Score
But talented CBB men rarely remain for more than a year, possibly two, before decamping for the pros. Women's CBB players remain on their teams, or at least in college somewhere else after a transfer, for four years. So we get great teams, rising dynasties, and tremendous rivalries. All that makes for riveting viewing.

So while the women outdrew the men, the new TV contract has women's basketball earning less than a tenth of what the men will receive. And that is obscene. Sounds as though the NCAA is creaming the Big Bucks out of the women's game. Still.
The Women were on ABC, the men were on cable so its not an apples to apples comparison. At the end of the day Economics 101, the law of supply and demand will win out as far as television contracts go. That's why capitalism is so great. If you provide something people want they will pay for it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

The NCAA did not put the Women's Tournament out for bid, they extended it with ESPN and gave up a chance for the big bucks as you put it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's the real reason for the lower men's audience

18.7 million: Early figures from NCAA women’s title game make it most-watched hoops game in 5 years

South Carolina’s victory over Caitlin Clark and Iowa in Sunday’s women’s NCAA championship game had a preliminary audience average of 18.7 million on ABC and ESPN. The only sporting events in the United States to draw a bigger TV audience since 2019 have been football, the World Cup and the Olympics.

The audience numbers are expected to increase when Nielsen releases its final numbers on Tuesday. Nielsen says the audience peaked at 24 million.

So that's covers games on ABC, CBS, NBC, and events played earlier in the day for those saying the only reason was because of the time of day, or the network.

Reaction Score
I was the typical male supremacist basketball fan growing up but this year I went to a Maryland Terrapins home game. It was my first ever wbb game and I’m over 40.

The game was electric and it was a blast.

The place was sold out with 18k loud fans.

I should also mention that Caitlin was in town, and she had 38 pts and 12 assts.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
18.7 million: Early figures from NCAA women’s title game make it most-watched hoops game in 5 years

South Carolina’s victory over Caitlin Clark and Iowa in Sunday’s women’s NCAA championship game had a preliminary audience average of 18.7 million on ABC and ESPN. The only sporting events in the United States to draw a bigger TV audience since 2019 have been football, the World Cup and the Olympics.

The audience numbers are expected to increase when Nielsen releases its final numbers on Tuesday. Nielsen says the audience peaked at 24 million.

So that's covers games on ABC, CBS, NBC, and events played earlier in the day for those saying the only reason was because of the time of day, or the network.
Now we know why that blocking foul was called.:cool:

Reaction Score
Or it could be that the UConn Men are bad for basketball.
When you beat every opponent by double digits and it is getting late at night, people are quick to assume the game is over (many felt Newton's opening 3 to start the half and make it a 9-point lead was pretty much game-set-match). I suspect the second half numbers dwindled shortly after that once UConn extended the lead.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Women's game has always been more entertaining as they play a better game of BB.
Spanish What GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom