OT: - NCAA Softball | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA Softball

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Slappers cheat--everybody knows it--until they get caught but it doesn't usually happen. That why slappers try to obliterate batters box if ump will let them get away with it. It's only in higher profile games that umps try hard to call them on it. But if you've been cheating the entire season, it's hard to correct at that point if it is the first time you've been called on it.
No, you’re not a cynic:rolleyes:

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So I'm a laissez-faire kind of guy when it comes to optional and mandatory sports saftey equipment, but the accident in yesterday's accident involving the Texas pitcher and catcher makes you wonder about pitchers and face masks. Check it out:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
So I'm a laissez-faire kind of guy when it comes to optional and mandatory sports saftey equipment, but the accident in yesterday's accident involving the Texas pitcher and catcher makes you wonder about pitchers and face masks. Check it out:

Fortunately she is alright. Spent some time in local hospital for observation. Terrible accident, but Texas rallied back to beat Bama on some very sloppy fielding and lack of offense on Bama's part. Turned out to be good for Texas since the relief pitcher held Bama down while Bama's pitching and fielding fell apart. The kid is out of hospital as per news reports. Game three today winner take all.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Fortunately she is alright. Spent some time in local hospital for observation. Terrible accident, but Texas rallied back to beat Bama on some very sloppy fielding and lack of offense on Bama's part. Turned out to be good for Texas since the relief pitcher held Bama down while Bama's pitching and fielding fell apart. The kid is out of hospital as per news reports. Game three today winner take all.

I do wonder whether the ump gave any verbal call out. A 1 in a 1,000,000, but given the short distance from home to the mound this stuff will keep happening. in the press conference the catcher said "no harm no foul"!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This is one reason why so many pitchers have elected to wear a face mask but the main reason is that many pitchers have been hit by batted softballs or have seen another pitcher get hit by a batted ball. I used to wonder why they would wear one but have seen enough incidents, including last night's, to understand why it is probably a good thing.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why the catcher didn't know it was a foul ball. Obviously, the umpire was less than enthusiastic on his "foul call".
Human interest story. The catcher later hit a three run homer to win the game for Texas.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't understand why the catcher didn't know it was a foul ball. Obviously, the umpire was less than enthusiastic on his "foul call".
Human interest story. The catcher later hit a three run homer to win the game for Texas.

My understanding the batter was called out for having a foot out of the box when she hit the ball. That's how one news source reported it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On a lighter note Oklahoma State coach being interviewed during an inning change over and one of his team captains really getting it on with the dance moves behind him AND chugging a bottle of water. Great moves. Feels like it will be a YouTube moment.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okie St. was leading Florida St. 3-1 heading into the bottom of the 7th but the lead off batter just went deep. 3-2 no outs. This could be an exciting finish!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
The Texas team made a valiant effort to try and come back in the game again today after going down 6-1 and had the tying run up at the plate in the 7th but fell short 8-5. @Bama fan must be relieved as if Texas came back I was going to have find someone to check in on how they were! Very happy for Coach Murphy and the Tide.

The vaunted Oklahoma offense has reappeared and is dominating Northwestern 7-0.
Tennessee has scored a run off Barnhill! This may be the first time I have ever written this so “Go Vols”! Wow, now my fingers and head hurt...:confused:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My wife's blood pressure is back down to a stable range after Bama closed out another game they allowed to get too close. Texas never gave up, went down swinging, and Ms Elish, the pitcher who got beaned last night, was back in the dugout cheering. Getting the home field is really big in these games, but now everyone is more or less even. RTR

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well let me welcome you to the party! Come on in and enjoy the next 2 weeks of games...the more The merrier! ;)

Ever since Joan Joyce started rockin' the diamond at Raybestos Field.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I can't even believe Arizona hasn't been to the World Series since 2010, but their drought is finally over. Hammered Ole Miss today to advance.

Washington is postponed due to weather.

edit--oops, they're going to play in Seattle after all. Will be late, most of ya'll will be in bed before it ends. Scheduled for 8 pm local time start, so 11 back east.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I can't even believe Arizona hasn't been to the World Series since 2010, but their drought is finally over. Hammered Ole Miss today to advance.

Washington is postponed due to weather.

edit--oops, they're going to play in Seattle after all. Will be late, most of ya'll will be in bed before it ends. Scheduled for 8 pm local time start, so 11 back east.
Hey! Some of East Coasters are notorious for watching late games with Left Coast colleagues! Head bang

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hey! Some of East Coasters are notorious for watching late games with Left Coast colleagues! Head bang

I did say most, not all. :rolleyes:

My Huskies are driving me nuts. No clutch hitting at all. Their bats are gonna have to wake up at some point, I don't think they can count on winning games 1-0 or 2-0 in OKC (assuming they get there).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well that's better. 5 runs is a whole lot better than 1 run. Still left too many runners in scoring position for my taste but they got another shut out. They've only given up 1 run in 5 post season games. That's pretty darn good!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So...it took 13 SEC teams in the Regionals to get 2 into the World Series? That's not very good. Big 12 matched them with a whole lot less teams in the Regionals and Pac 12 got 3 in the World Series (out of 5 in the post season). 3 conferences accounted for all but 1 of the teams going to OKC. Competitve balance across the country isn't quite there yet.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
So...it took 13 SEC teams in the Regionals to get 2 into the World Series? That's not very good. Big 12 matched them with a whole lot less teams in the Regionals and Pac 12 got 3 in the World Series (out of 5 in the post season). 3 conferences accounted for all but 1 of the teams going to OKC. Competitve balance across the country isn't quite there yet.
Softball is more highly concentrated than even WCBB. So far with only I deciding game left (#5 FL vs. #12 TN) only one top 8 seed lost-#4 FSU to Ok State. Even If Tennessee wins, that were/are a top team. Does the hosting of the super regionals help promote this monopoly or if the games were on neutral sites would more upsets happen? The attendance has been pretty good (for softball) and this format follows the patterns of the other sports on who hosts. But yes Virginia, there is not parity in Softball. :cool:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, the only game 3 in TN/Fl at 2PM on ESPN. Got to hand it to TN :oops: , they hung in against Barnhill who was clearly overworked and not near her best and took a 3-2 win in 9 innings.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
What’s a clutch HR by Tennessee in the top of the 7th, essentially bailing out the boneheaded actions of the 6th with runners on 1sr/2nd with 1 out, they have the left handed batter try yo bunt, who pulls it back and the catcher nails the runner by a lot. Left handed batter allows the catcher a clear line of sight and throw, so why the girl pulled the bat back was an utterly bad play. Head bang

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom