NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation

Reaction Score
Yeah. Let's say we do join this subdivision

Where do we go? Do we think other teams currently in "power" conferences are going to not join?

How do we play basketball independently if the entire Big East doesn't sponsor this division.
Your last sentence is a huge point. Doubtful that all the Big East teams are going to opt in. Big East power conference no longer.

Reaction Score
“Entry into the subdivision requires a school to invest, at minimum, $30,000 per year per athlete into what is termed an “enhanced educational trust fund” for at least half of a school’s countable athletes. Schools would determine when athletes receive the amount, which, for four-year athletes, will total at least $120,000. Schools must continue to abide by the framework of Title IX, assuring that 50 percent of the investment be directed toward women athletes.”
There is nothing about 50 percent in title ix. It's supposed to be proportional to enrollment

Reaction Score
This all seems like limiting the income for the players Kavanaugh was quite clear in his ruling this would not fly
Only way to regulate NIL would be for the players to be employees and then agree to compensation
Going down that road opens up lots of possibilities that these universities might want to really think about such as unionization strikes Worker’s Compensation for injuries, etc.
The system seems to be working, just as it supposed to. and as far as all the concern for the players, and then making bad decisions
Everyone is 18 years old and freight enter into any contracts they want
Some will make good decisions. Some will make bad and I just don’t see why that would be the universities.Purview
Only ones who seem to be complaining are all the people who made a whole Lotta money off the old system and are now really pissed off. They don’t get to control all the dollars.

Reaction Score
Your last sentence is a huge point. Doubtful that all the Big East teams are going to opt in. Big East power conference no longer.
Basically have to hope if we drop football we can hitch a ride in the B1G or SEC for basketball

Reaction Score
There is nothing about 50 percent in title ix. It's supposed to be proportional to enrollment
Well, unless FB is treated uniquely and is not included in the calculation, this will be almost impossible to do unless a lot of women get paid in non-revenue sports.

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying. That was a quote taken from the article. I haven’t read the proposal yet to see if it was lazy writing or something else to be sure federal Title IX is met:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Basically have to hope if we drop football we can hitch a ride in the B1G or SEC for basketball
Why would either conference want a partial member?

Reaction Score
Why would either conference want a partial member?
"Hope" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this instance

I could see a world where some basketball powers don't want the football investment but the SEC and B1G want the northeast market and their branding.

It's ridiculous but I'm imaging a scenario where us, Villanova, Georgetown & St Johns join the SEC as partial members so the SEC can get a foothold in B1G territory without the full investment.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The only schools I could see potentially not opting in are Butler and DePaul. The original Big East schools, Marquette, Xavier, and Creighton will opt in. If some of them have to drop some sports to afford it, they will.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
"Hope" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this instance

I could see a world where some basketball powers don't want the football investment but the SEC and B1G want the northeast market and their branding.

It's ridiculous but I'm imaging a scenario where us, Villanova, Georgetown & St Johns join the SEC as partial members so the SEC can get a foothold in B1G territory without the full investment.
This is a good point. There is likely a chance the Northeast will not be part of this Superleague. Unless Syracuse and BC can figure out how to play with the rich boys. NYC will be gone because without the BE, no one cares about college hoops.

Reaction Score
I do wonder how many times we have to be rejected for people to understand that basketball is not taking us to the promised land...

Reaction Score
So Charlie Baker revolutionary idea for the future of college athletics is to let the rich schools do what they want and make sure small schools can never compete in any sport? Truly enlightening
He’s only proposing what his bosses want. Gotta remember. The schools are the NCAA. He reports to the members

Reaction Score
If UConn opts into this, I assume we're dropping football, a commensurate amount of women's sports, and possibly other men's sports to get to the minimum? And would the NCAA lower the minimum to support this? The numbers simply don't add up for anybody except the top 30 football programs in the country

Reaction Score
He’s only proposing what his bosses want. Gotta remember. The schools are the NCAA. He reports to the members
this is likely a proposal they've been workshopping for awhile. My guess is they want to get this sanctioned by congress because what's really going to happen is the courts are going to whack them good and hard.

Reaction Score
If UConn opts into this, I assume we're dropping football, a commensurate amount of women's sports, and possibly other men's sports to get to the minimum? And would the NCAA lower the minimum to support this? The numbers simply don't add up for anybody except the top 30 football programs in the country
If we opt in, we are not cutting football. Men's and women's track and field will be cut first I assume. They already started cutting back on it this year. 120+ athletes, equal guys and girls. Not something that gets the University a ton of national attentional widely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom