NCAA investigating 20 colleges for academic fraud | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA investigating 20 colleges for academic fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm not cynical enough yet. I do have the expectation that rich, Division I athletic programs follow the rules, just as I expect rich corporations to follow the rules. So when I watch Maryland play, I do expect the players to be scholar-athletes, because that's what the rules state. If any of Maryland's teams don't follow the rules, then I want them caught and punished.

I understand that schools want to make more money by being consistent winners. The trick here is to recruit the best players who show evidence they will be successful as college students, so that cheating won't be necessary.

On the other hand, if schools like UNC aren't punished for what appears to be a gross, flagrant, and continuous violation of the rules, not only will it encourage widespread cheating, but schools won't have to bother trying not to get caught.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Oh...but we are all complicit...if you watch major college games on TV...support those stars...you are supporting the system that encourages non scholar athletes. We are, all who watch and support college sports, participants in creating the reward system.

We are complicit because we won't flock to the TV to watch a Division III match (or really even a Division II).

We are all complicit because we demand winning teams, demand coaches be fired for not winning....

You get what you reward...and the people have voted to reward winning.

Reward winning without being caught cheating...being caught is always the worst offense.
Blah blah blah...what a bunch of B.S.

You want to make some kind of profound statement about "we" get the system "we" deserve?

There is no "we," you excluded us, remember? And for what, having the temerity to play by the rules?

Deserve has got nothing to do with it.

You're an apologist for greed and arrogance, and an advocate for advancement without merit. Doesn't say much for the kind of man you are personally.

Reaction Score
Well Mr. wonderful. I apologize for no one...I expound on why we end up with what we get.

I don't advocate...I think of why things happen.

I am not full of rage as some seem to be. You accuse me of things that are not in my posts at all (if you read).

There is a reason that we have kids that can hardly read attending a university as an athlete. And that is not at just a few schools like we would like to think.

And you have to ask..."how did we get this way?" Saying things like .."well, greed" ....doesn't really flesh out the path.

The same pressures that create $5 million dollar coaching salaries, that enable multi million dollar booster contributions, that make billion dollar media contracts thinkable...are involved.

I never say that it is right....it is the way it is because of many variables that interact....the demand for success, our demands as fans, as TV watchers, etc.

Reaction Score
I am tired today and not in the mood to be nice to another internet crazy who wants to make it personal.

Reaction Score
I am tired today and not in the mood to be nice to another internet crazy who wants to make it personal.
Someone from FSU with apparently no relationship to UConn in any way continually plagues the UConn message board. I think you believe that you can redeem FSU on this board, or that you are trying to deal with guilt feelings, or trying to make amends before you meet your maker. Another internet crazy? Look in a mirror. Maybe you are really an FSU insider who voted against UConn.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Your damn straight its personal. We've had our alma mater dragged through the mud during countless broadcasts for far less than others are getting a complete pass for. I'd say that's legitimately personal.

Reaction Score
Oh...but we are all complicit...if you watch major college games on TV...support those stars...you are supporting the system that encourages non scholar athletes. We are, all who watch and support college sports, participants in creating the reward system.

We are complicit because we won't flock to the TV to watch a Division III match (or really even a Division II).

We are all complicit because we demand winning teams, demand coaches be fired for not winning....

You get what you reward...and the people have voted to reward winning.

Reward winning without being caught cheating...being caught is always the worst offense.
You must have been a Delta, right Billy? Shame on you for bad mouthing the United States of America.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good lord things are so crazy that Billy is right. If you are operating under the deluision that the games you watch don't have players involved who have no right being in some of these universities.... yikes.

Reaction Score
If you are operating under the deluision that the games you watch don't have players involved who have no right being in some of these universities.... yikes.

And I would also add some of the games we watch involve players who have no right being out of jail. If that was Billybud's point, I would have agreed with that as well. He went well beyond that, which I disagreed with. Further, if I did feel about college sports the way he did, I would no longer watch them.

pj

Reaction Score
And I would also add some of the games we watch involve players who have no right being out of jail. If that was Billybud's point, I would have agreed with that as well. He went well beyond that, which I disagreed with. Further, if I did feel about college sports the way he did, I would no longer watch them.

If you like watching criminals beat up student athletes, why would you stop watching FSU?

Reaction Score
Buddy...I rationally discuss expansion and the topics around it.

You seem angry. Angry that an FSU guy would dare be on this board. After all, I am not a Husky. Angry at the ACC and member schools. I do understand that any post from me is like a red cape in front of a bull...it induces a rage. Maybe you should page past them.

But CR is of interest to us all, regardless of the gatekeepers.

And I bring another view.

Reaction Score

Half of the Wisconsin football team, for example, could not be admitted under the university's requirements...but had to be waivered as "special admits". Same was true at Clemson and some others. The Ohio state QB tweets that he is bummed that he has to attend class, He came to play football.

I don't know why all the snide comments when it is an evident truth that some of our athletes are in college and are not really competitive academically with regular students.

Reaction Score
Half of the Wisconsin football team, for example, could not be admitted under the university's requirements...but had to be waivered as "special admits". Same was true at Clemson and some others. The Ohio state QB tweets that he is bummed that he has to attend class, He came to play football.

I don't know why all the snide comments when it is an evident truth that some of our athletes are in college and are not really competitive academically with regular students.

I'm afraid I encounter many students, athletes and non-athletes alike, who are bummed that they have to attend class.

As for your other points here, again I don't dispute them. I understand there is a gap between the academic backgrounds between the general student body and athletetes. More importantly there is gap between their college performance. The gap isn't so big in most sports. Although things have improved, there is still a wide gap in football. This is also true in Divisions II and III. Despite all this, there are still rules that must be followed that athletes must be progressing towards a degree. This doesn't mean that there aren't egregious examples contradicting this. it does stress the importance that violators, such as UNC, must be punished. If that doesn't happen, I will start finding myself more in agreement with your post that I disagreed with.

As for the snide comments, we need to remember that we are on a fan board of an another school. What might be appropriate on a neutral site may not fly so well here or other fan boards. It is also possible that the snideneess could be more of a response to other previous posts.

Reaction Score
Buddy...I rationally discuss expansion and the topics around it.

You seem angry. Angry that an FSU guy would dare be on this board. After all, I am not a Husky. Angry at the ACC and member schools. I do understand that any post from me is like a red cape in front of a bull...it induces a rage. Maybe you should page past them.

But CR is of interest to us all, regardless of the gatekeepers.

And I bring another view.
Maybe rationally in your mind. Angry yes, but actually the only schools in the ACC that are despicable to me are Boston College and FSU. They were the ringleaders in keeping UConn out. The others just went along with it to show solidarity. Yes, your posts do induce a rage.

Reaction Score
Rage is not good..it is corrosive and inhibits real conversation about issues....

We really don't know how the vote for Louisville shook out...it was recorded as unanimous. But, routinely, straw votes are taken and the losers vote with the winning side on the formal vote to show solidarity.

At least that was the way it was a decade ago when I was privy to the workings.

Reaction Score
The truth is of the 45,000 scholarship football players, there are about 500 NFL jobs available.
Since football is really only played in North America , the ability to pursue a career elseware does not exist.
For the overwhelming majority of these player, the opportunity their atheletic ability affords them, is much better served in the acedemic area.I know this is the direct opposite of the sports group-Speak world. But the numbers are on my side.
I'm not so much concerned with admission standards ,even the Ivies have their legacy exceptions, as I am with giving these kids an education once they get there.
Many of the highest achievers were late to grasp the academic disipline necessary for academic success. Athletes when properly focused usually have a natual discipline.
If those minicule job opportunities are driving the ship we have done these kids who have in some respects offered their bodies in return for an opportunity to advance a huge disservice.
Floyd Little ,who I had the privilege to play against in high school.
was tested at Hillhouse with a 80 or 90 IQ. by his own admission .
(No Cuse Jokes please)
Yet after graduating from Syracuse and having a hall of fame NFL career he somehow managed to graduate 40th out of a class of 140 from the University of Denver Law school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom