NCAA first seeding reveal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA first seeding reveal

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
One thing I do not know [amongst many] is whether the 2 Albany final four teams
meet each other in the NCAA semis or whether they split them up and have each play one of the 2 final four teams from
the other regional.

Reaction Score
A few teams ranked higher than UConn in the reveal will lose a game or two in regular season or conference tournament paving the way for UConn to move up a couple of spots.

There are 5 Pac-10 teams in the 16 (3 B10, 3 ACC, 2 B12, 2 SEC) and there will be some games between them.

Other than South Carolina, only UConn is likely to win all of their remaining games. Given UConn's relatively weak remaining schedule, they won't get much credit for doing so, and they may at best end up being a 3-seed in a different region.

Being in Albany will help some but not necessarily mean an automatic home-win (like against NC State a couple of years ago). We had difficulties against solid teams with quick guards like ND even at home this year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Please correct me if I am wrong.

There will be 2 final four teams coming out of Albany. One each from the 2 pods
The teams in each pod do NOT play each other in Albany...only play
teams within their pod. 4 teams in each pod.

I would assume the NCAA would try to balance the overall strength of the 2 pods.
If South Carolina is considered the best team in Albany they might well play
the 8th best team in the sweet sixteen game...and then the winner of the 4/5
game in the final 8 game. Neither of those teams would be UConn. UConn...if considered
the 3rd best.. would play the 6th best in the sweet sixteen and if advancing the winner of 2 and 7.

Very good teams...but doable.

Lots of assumptions here but the main one is just a fact.. The winner of the 'non-South Carolina"
pod will go to the final 4 without facing Carolina.
No
In S. Carolina
1st round S. Carolina would play #16
2nd round S. Carolina would play #8

In Storrs
1st round UCONN plays #14
2nd round UCONN plays #6

In Albany
Sweet 16 S. Carolina would play #4 Louisville / UCONN plays #2 UCLA
Elite 8 S. Carolina would play #2 UCLA / #3 UCONN

Reaction Score
Last big grid of the season, as I'll crop it down to preseason, beginning, mid, and then the last few rows as we go along.
View attachment 96478
Great chart.

I'm sure you thought about this and have a reason for not doing it, but could you somehow highlight UConn so it stands out and makes it easy to see their trend? May be use bold font and/or slightly larger font size?

Thanks for doing these charts, I can stare at them all day and be happy :)

Reaction Score
I wish better but whatver th region, it will probably end up by the sweet 16, it is time for Nika to pull up assists numbers

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Oregon State's Pac-12 schedule as a whole is brutal, with 10 of their 18 games against Stanford, UCLA, USC, Colorado, and Utah. And yet they're 9-3 and went 4-0 against the Mountain schools.

Their toughest road games are behind them. They get the LA schools and Stanford at home and I like their chances with how they're playing.
Given how Oregon St has been playing, their remaining schedule also gives them a lot of opportunity to move up to a #2 seed, if not a #1 seed if they truly run the table and beat UCLA, USC, and Stanford all at home [daunting but far from unfathomable].

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Meyers...I get what you are saying [I think]. My main point remains...there will be an NCAA final four team coming from Albany with the good fortune of not playing South Carolina...it will be the winner of the 4 team pod that does not
include South Carolina. I don't know whether it is inevitable that UConn is in their pod [assuming UConn wins
in Storrs]. Rankings could change....the NCAA could bump rankings up or down a bit to try and eliminate early
round conference foes....whatever strategies the NCAA thinks is appropriate....etc.

We shall see when we shall see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I keep wondering how that happened? Is that a fluke or preferential treatment? Seems unfair.

I don't know. It could be a fluke of a rotational plan. Or it could be designed to help the top teams achieve a better record. The conference groups schools in pairs for travel purposes, so missing UCLA also means missing USC, for example.

Note that the SEC has done the same thing. Why does SC play LSU only 1x in the regular season for the 2nd year in a row?

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see whether UCONN basketball has any competitive edge left at both the coaching and player level; will the Huskies reach to realize the promise of its highly touted recruits (well-above Big East threshold) or resign itself to top-20 satisfaction excused by injury and roster attrition.
I haven't seen anything from the coaches that would indicate they are playing for the NC. I think they are going with option B on your list. They will need a real lucky draw of teams with no length to get to the final weekend this year.

Reaction Score
I don't know. It could be a fluke of a rotational plan. Or it could be designed to help the top teams achieve a better record. The conference groups schools in pairs for travel purposes, so missing UCLA also means missing USC, for example.

Note that the SEC has done the same thing. Why does SC play LSU only 1x in the regular season for the 2nd year in a row?
LSU is in the West and SC is in the East. They will however play again in the SEC Tournament if both teams win.

Reaction Score
The Big East is not helping this season. UConn has been beaten badly by the better teams but crushed every team in league play. They will win out and will win every game by a sizable margin but I don't see them moving up to the 2 line at all. The reality though is being a 2 or 3 doesn't matter as long as the match up is favorable. UConn to me has no scenario where they compete with SC so they will have to hope they end up in a different region and hope someone else can knock them off.

LSU was not the best team last year and won so it is possible. If Ice can build on her last couple games and be a consistent force in the tournament that would help immensely.

Reaction Score
If UConn is assigned to Albany for the Sweet 16 (that's good), that means an early rematch with SC (that's bad). On the other hand, if we have to go to Portland for the Sweet 16 (not great), we risk repeating our early-exit experience of last year (even worse). As Bill Bendix (in "Life of Reilly") used to say, "What a revoltin' development THIS is."

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Meyers...I get what you are saying [I think]. My main point remains...there will be an NCAA final four team coming from Albany with the good fortune of not playing South Carolina...it will be the winner of the 4 team pod that does not
include South Carolina. I don't know whether it is inevitable that UConn is in their pod [assuming UConn wins
in Storrs]. Rankings could change....the NCAA could bump rankings up or down a bit to try and eliminate early
round conference foes....whatever strategies the NCAA thinks is appropriate....etc.

It's not inevitable but if we assume that the committee will try to put UConn in an Albany bracket then the odds are about 50% that it'll be SC's bracket.

Reaction Score

You aren't a football fan are you? The SEC always protects its projected national championship contenders. (Refs too)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Yea, but we were talking about this reveal.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Plebe: you are correct. There will be 4 one seeds...each regional will get 2. As of now the reveal shows South
Carolina/Stanford/Colorado and Ohio State. South Carolina a one seed to Albany....maybe Ohio State to Albany as a one
seed due to distance. We get put in the Ohio State pod with our 3 seed. Make it to the final 8 [no easy task] and we meet OSU for a final 4 berth....a huge accomplishment in itself due to our injuries.

BTW: OSU has beaten Iowa once so far...don't know if they still have a regular season game at Iowa. An Iowa/OSU Big 10 tourney ring game might well be another OSU/Iowa...high ratings coming! If we stay 3 in Albany with Carolina in the other 4 team pod, we might be facing a 2 seeded sweet 16 game with either Iowa or OSU....and a final 8 game against the other. CC is college basketball's hot topic [deservedly so]. Bring Iowa against Paige and UConn in Albany....a big deal!

BTW#2: since we are aware of the NCAA affection for money I think they would be happy to have UConn fans stay in Albany for 3 days and not one...if we get a bit of an edge somewhere with that being a factor...I'll take it.

Charlie seems to be predicting [guessing] our involvement with Carolina at this point....hope he is wrong.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Plebe: you are correct. There will be 4 one seeds...each regional will get 2. As of now the reveal shows South
Carolina/Stanford/Colorado and Ohio State. South Carolina a one seed to Albany....maybe Ohio State to Albany as a one
seed due to distance. We get put in the Ohio State pod with our 3 seed. Make it to the final 8 [no easy task] and we meet OSU for a final 4 berth....a huge accomplishment in itself due to our injuries.

BTW: OSU has beaten Iowa once so far...don't know if they still have a regular season game at Iowa. An Iowa/OSU Big 10 tourney ring game might well be another OSU/Iowa...high ratings coming! If we stay 3 in Albany with Carolina in the other 4 team pod, we might be facing a 2 seeded sweet 16 game with either Iowa or OSU....and a final 8 game against the other. CC is college basketball's hot topic [deservedly so]. Bring Iowa against Paige and UConn in Albany....a big deal!

BTW#2: since we are aware of the NCAA affection for money I think they would be happy to have UConn fans stay in Albany for 3 days and not one...if we get a bit of an edge somewhere with that being a factor...I'll take it.

Charlie seems to be predicting [guessing] our involvement with Carolina at this point....hope he is wrong.
The Top 16 wasn’t generated by Charlie Creme, it was by the NCAA committee

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see whether UCONN basketball has any competitive edge left at both the coaching and player level; will the Huskies reach to realize the promise of its highly touted recruits (well-above Big East threshold) or resign itself to top-20 satisfaction excused by injury and roster attrition.
This is not an excuse--it's a fact. The Talent that SITS is "almost" equal to those on the floor. Those that can't play, in area's exceeds those on the floor.
De Berry, in HS was an excellent shooter and played a lot of time under the basket. What happened?
The Walking wounded are a talented lot. Will they play and should they play what shall be their "out put"?

I don't fall into either of 2 classes. !. Geno should retire 2. Geno can do no wrong. For decades I have contended--Geno is Human with all the faults of a human, all the failures--but way many more successes than the average (or best) human coaches. Geno shall retire--I believe--after his next NC. Next Year???

Plebe

Reaction Score
I keep wondering how that happened? Is that a fluke or preferential treatment? Seems unfair.
It was just how the cookie crumbled this season.

Each Pac-12 team plays its nearby "rival" counterpart twice each season. For the other 5 pairs of opponents, they rotate year to year as to which 3 they play twice and which 2 they play only once.

Reaction Score

Good point. Interesting too I just heard Dawn Staley complain about their schedule that they will be playing Tennessee again shortly, so close in time, and also maybe in their upcoming tournament. She was knocking their schedulers. You have to wonder why LSU gets a pass for two years. Something doesn’t seem right.

Reaction Score
It was just how the cookie crumbled this season.

Each Pac-12 team plays its nearby "rival" counterpart twice each season. For the other 5 pairs of opponents, they rotate year to year as to which 3 they play twice and which 2 they play only once.
My gut tells me some preferential treatment for Tara the year she’s going to hit some records. Maybe I’m wrong but Tara got the larger of the cookie crumbles.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Good point. Interesting too I just heard Dawn Staley complain about their schedule that they will be playing Tennessee again shortly, so close in time, and also maybe in their upcoming tournament. She was knocking their schedulers. You have to wonder why LSU gets a pass for two years. Something doesn’t seem right.
SEC has 14 teams and plays a 16-game schedule, and each team has one opponent they play twice every year. For LSU that team is Texas A&M. That leaves only 2 out of the other 12 teams that LSU plays twice in a given year, so if the rotation is done evenly they'll play a given opponent twice every 6th season.

I believe SC and LSU last played each other twice in the 2021 regular season. I'm willing to bet that means they also played each other twice in 2015, based on the aforementioned 6-year cycle.

My gut tells me some preferential treatment for Tara the year she’s going to hit some records. Maybe I’m wrong but Tara got the larger of the cookie crumbles.
Interesting. My gut tells me it's time to eat some brisket, but my brain and my memory tell me that Stanford has had plenty of seasons where they had a tougher-than-average P12 slate. Also, she broke the record on January 21, after taking a loss at Colorado, which tells me the conference schedule wouldn't have made more than a 1 or at most 2 week difference in the timing.

Reaction Score
We ran a Pre-reveal poll on the General Board.

Below are the results of our poll compared to the committee poll, the NET rankings and the AP poll. Interestingly, Our poll and the Committed hit 8 exact rankings and fifteen out of 16 inexact choices!

Committee------------Boneyard Poll-----------NET---------------AP Poll

1 SCar-----------------SCar---------------------SCar--------------SCar
2 Stan-----------------Stanford----------------Stanford----------Ohio State
3 Ohio State-------- Ohio State-------------- UConn------------Stanford
4 Colorado-----------Iowa---------------------- Texas--------------Iowa
5. Iowa----------------Texas--------------------- Iowa---------------Texas
6 NCSt---------------- NC State----------------Utah*---------------NC State
7 ucla----------------- UCLA------------------- UCLA--------------K-State
8 Texas ----------------Colorado----------------Ohio State---------- Colorado
9 Southern Cal-------- LSU----------------------LSU----------------- UCLA
10 VaTech--------------Indiana------------------ NC State----------- Southern Cal
11 Oregon st--------- Oregon State----------- Gonzaga----------- Oregon State
12 UConn-------------UConn------------------- Indiana--------------VaTech
13 K-State-------------K-State------------------Notre Dame*--------LSU
14 LSU --------------- VaTech-------------------- K-State--------------Indiana
15 Indiana------------ Southern Cal-------------- Colorado-----------UConn

16 Louisville-----------Gonzaga------------------Southern Cal--------Notre Dame

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Won't there be two one seeds in Albany....one in each 4 team pod?
If we remain a 3 seed in South Carolina's pod...we might meet them there.
Is it just as reasonable...as Plebe says [I think]... that we might be the 3 seed in the
other 4 team pod...meeting the other one seed?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom